Because 'Straya mate!

I wasn’t having a dog at you; quite the opposite.

It’s so sad that so many of the Australasians who visit the Gallipoli Peninsula never visit the Commonwealth memorial at Cape Helles which commemorates all Commonwealth contributions, or the nearby Morto Bay French cemetery.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
What's your issue with it?

Australia is, without doubt, the most casually racist place I've ever lived.
The whole, "Ooooh ! I'm offended !
Pommie is such a racist term..." eyelash fluttering, pant wetting screecherness of it.

I've been on the reveiving end of many words that people class as racially radically pejorative, but when I stopped being a young buck about them they had no effect.
I've got good friends and comrades who call me things that many spit the dummy over, but they're mates.
Others may also use the same words but they'll not make me rise.
Any term can be classed as "racist" if it's used in such a manner.

What I'd really like is both a "wanker" and a "toughen up" button for such limp posts.

I didn’t say that term was racist but it’s always used in a pejorative manner. It is abusive and offensive and typically used by bigoted, thoughtless Ockers

I wasn’t having a dog at you; quite the opposite.

It’s so sad that so many of the Australasians who visit the Gallipoli Peninsula never visit the Commonwealth memorial at Cape Helles which commemorates all Commonwealth contributions, or the nearby Morto Bay French cemetery.
And the number of brits who travel half way around the world to visit a battlefield from 100 years ago, and then go to a cemetery commemorating the dead of a country other than their own is... ?

Australians often seem to have the same inferiority complex as the Taff's and jocks. It's a sad fact Many folk from 3rd world shitholes develop a 'chip' or attitude to hide the self loathing they can't embrace. It's too hot the beers shit and the mosquitoes /sand flies consdered me a buffet. I Was glad to get back to English assholes and a nice bit of drizzle.

Ockers, Boguns, Poms, Tassies........ Who actually gives a toss?..

Pull yer f@@kin heads in, yer bunch of f@@kin drongs!! :relax:

I live in Townsville and yes it's fecking hot at the moment. My wife is a Jock and she hates it four months of the year, the rest of the time she just moans about how much she hates it.

We have a nice view of the beach from where we live and I will miss it if and when we move.

Yes Aussies do think that they own Gallipoli. However they do give you a public holiday to get pissed on.

Yes the police that give you a speeding ticket in the middle of butt fuuck nowhere are twats, but then again there's are some that turn a blind eye when you are speeding (just ever so slightly) in the middle of butt fuuck nowhere.

I am not offended by the term pommie. My wife being a jock says it only refers to the English.

Casual racism, probably, but no more than anywhere else I've visited. Unless of course you come from Tasmania or NZ.

Oz it's a big beautiful country, it's just been ruined, full of bloody Aussies.
Really, I only really knew two racists, one bloke I worked with, I threatened the twat with a trailer winding handle and he was nice as pie after that...
The other I never met, Paul Keeting the Aussie PM in the 90s, bloke was a fcuking embarrisment. He's what the Aussies call a first fleeter. They all seemed to have a chip on their shoulder and think the world owed them a favour.
Thing is though, they all seemed to live in the cities. When I lived out in country Qld, not a problem at all.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I didn’t say that term was racist but it’s always used in a pejorative manner.
Definitely not "always used in a pejorative manner," unless you tend to hang around with people who think in that way.
I dunno, maybe you find their company comforting.

It is abusive and offensive and typically used by bigoted, thoughtless Ockers
"Abusive and offensive" to whom ?
The hypersensitive with gossamer skin ?
There are other non-human things in Oz that'll cause them more hurt than a word, and if they think otherwise they'd probably best not visit.
If you truly believe it's only used by bigots and thoughtless norms, I'd again be suspect of the company you keep.

And to start of with, here's one. Why? It's 'Straya, mate, why the hell not? And his explanation, " Well, I lost me license." Fair dinkum mate, fair dinkum.

Australian caught towing boat with mobility scooter after losing licence
That's nothing. We had an old bushie in town who was almost the last man convicted in the State for being drunk in charge of a horse. Two of the local Jacks pulled him over in a lane which was well known back road home from a local watering hole.

He wasn't concerned. He dismounted, looked one of the officers over, and said, "You've got a problem, mate, ain't ya?

"How so?"

"Your mate in the car there, he's got two stripes up. I don't see any on your sleeves, so I reckon that means you've got to ride this old horse of mine." The said horse looked the officer up and down in an evil fashion.

"Don't worry about it though, just don't stand for any rot from him. Last time he threw me, I nearly broke me back!"

"Git going, we haven't seen you!"

Seen outside a Fish and chips shop.

Some years ago I spent some time flying a "bank run" between Dubbo and Bourke. Basically express parcel post and bank and court documents that needed to get places fast. There were 5 sectors between Dubbo and Bourke (in New South Wales) and I was flying this in January.

The first day I got to Bourke where there was a 3 hour break before flying the 5 sectors back to Dubbo. The day was hot, very hot. I was met by the freight agent who gave me a lift into town. She said that it was a bit cooler today at least. I asked her what was the temperature and she said 46 C. I asked her what it had been and she said 48 C. I told her that I didn't think I could tell the difference.

There is a real danger in that level of heat in that the sweat dries almost immediately and you don't realise just how much fluid you are loosing. That night when I got back to Dubbo I had a splitting headache and downed over 2 litres of orange juice and water with it hardly touching the sides.

A mate had a similar story of flying another bank run to Moree (also in New South Wales) and returning to the aircraft to find everything in the cockpit was so hot that the only thing he could touch was the trim button on the control yoke so the takeoff was done by trimming nose up at the appropriate time. A few minutes later the air temperature was dropping with altitude and he was able to take more effective control.

Used to put the MRE sachets on the dash while flying in the Sudan to heat them up if anyone was dumb enough to want a hot lunch.

one thing most poms myself included dont seem to realise ,that as far as gallipoli and the whole coastal strip battles were concerned ,only australian soldiers died there, any british and other nationality troops that died there were just waifs who had got lost!! I might be wrong but I,m sure I read somewhere thatnearly 5times as many brits were killed in gallipoli as australians, I was severely ridiculed on the 11/11 for laying a small wreath on our park war memorial,by our park comitee ,it is only allowed on anzac day, I have lived here 22 years and the racism here still shocks me , its a great country, people prepared to work and learn to bite their tongues and not openly retaliate against the racial abuse ,some are just in good natured jibes and you take and give them back in the same spirit, can have a great life,but it seems that racism is picked up by the children and copied from some parents at home,I wont mention australians hating to lose,and being voted the most prevalent sporting cheats in the world a couple of weeks ago, sandpaper anyone!! Shitstorm to follow

Well, if it's so terrible a burden to bear, stop being a stereotypical whingeing Pom like the late Bushmills and head back to the sun uplands of Blighty. Why did you ever bother leaving 'Jerusalem' in the first place?

I have to agree with you.
Growing up in NZ on ANZAC day, all you heard about was the vast number of casualties from both NZ and Aus, from that little contretemps. Nothing was ever mentioned about other countries, who also had troops involved and the casualties that they sustained.
Certainly, on a per head of population basis, NZ and Aus casualties were relatively high, but on a basis of the number of dead and wounded from all participants, the numbers were quite low.
It was only in fairly recent years that I have read about the numbers of deaths of other countries, these figures have always been played down, certainly in NZ and I would say Aus as well. I think that it suits the politicians to give the impression that NZ/Aus troops were the only ones involved.
The casualty rates of the Brits, Indians and I believe the French as well, run into the 10s of thousands. Those figures are not bandied about here.
When all said and done, it makes our casualty rates pale into insignificance.
Edited to add

View attachment 365178
A couple of years ago I was at a Remembrance service and the speech turned to the number of Aussie casualties in the first world war. I'd just done some family research on Paschaendale, and mentally noted that the names of the allied missing on the wall at Tyne Cot cemetery were more than half the total number of Australian casualties for the whole war.

The whole, "Ooooh ! I'm offended !
Pommie is such a racist term..." eyelash fluttering, pant wetting screecherness of it.

I've been on the reveiving end of many words that people class as racially radically pejorative, but when I stopped being a young buck about them they had no effect.
I've got good friends and comrades who call me things that many spit the dummy over, but they're mates.
Others may also use the same words but they'll not make me rise.
Any term can be classed as "racist" if it's used in such a manner.

What I'd really like is both a "wanker" and a "toughen up" button for such limp posts.
Australia, where a dodgy bloke is "a bit of a barsteward" but your best mate is "a complete barsteward"

Some years ago I spent some time flying a "bank run" between Dubbo and Bourke. Basically express parcel post and bank and court documents that needed to get places fast. There were 5 sectors between Dubbo and Bourke (in New South Wales) and I was flying this in January.

The first day I got to Bourke where there was a 3 hour break before flying the 5 sectors back to Dubbo. The day was hot, very hot. I was met by the freight agent who gave me a lift into town. She said that it was a bit cooler today at least. I asked her what was the temperature and she said 46 C. I asked her what it had been and she said 48 C. I told her that I didn't think I could tell the difference.

There is a real danger in that level of heat in that the sweat dries almost immediately and you don't realise just how much fluid you are loosing. That night when I got back to Dubbo I had a splitting headache and downed over 2 litres of orange juice and water with it hardly touching the sides.

A mate had a similar story of flying another bank run to Moree (also in New South Wales) and returning to the aircraft to find everything in the cockpit was so hot that the only thing he could touch was the trim button on the control yoke so the takeoff was done by trimming nose up at the appropriate time. A few minutes later the air temperature was dropping with altitude and he was able to take more effective control.
The longest I've experienced very high dry heat was when I was doing an internship with General Motors in the U.S. I was shipped off to their test track/ hot weather testing center near Mesa, Arizona for a couple of months. One of my tasks was to leave the car out in the sun all day, let it bake with windows and every thing sealed up, then at peak heat (~4/5pm) in peak summer, jump in, turn on the HVAC (AC) at full blast and see how long it takes to cool down to set temperatures.

Usually youngins like myself got to do the honors. You literally were losing body fluids like crazy...took a couple of bottles of super cold water with you while doing it. Good old days...now things have moved on, they automate most of the tests, but something still have to be done manually like the wear and tear of materials, dash board temps etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Book Club 0
2/51 Fill Your Boots 8
redshift The NAAFI Bar 13