Because 'Straya mate!

And all because its a member of the Marijuana crop! That debate has been going on over here as well, apart from rope and clothing. The amount of uses hemp has is astronomical.
It’s not, it’s hemp. There’s was only one plant, the one that grew naturally, from which people made clothes, insulated their houses, made medicines and occasionally, harmlessly smoked.

So now we rip out the weed, hybridise the plant so it has no cannabinoids and demand millions in compliance costs for farmers to grow what is now hemp, whilst largely ignoring the bikie gangs who hybridise it to make skunk. And then dispense millions of highly addictive opioids where hemp would do just fine

It’s not, it’s hemp. There’s was only one plant, the one that grew naturally, from which people made clothes, insulated their houses, made medicines and occasionally, harmlessly smoked.

So now we rip out the weed, hybridise the plant so it has no cannabinoids and demand millions in compliance costs for farmers to grow what is now hemp, whilst largely ignoring the bikie gangs who hybridise it to make skunk. And then dispense millions of highly addictive opioids where hemp would do just fine
I was always told that hemp and Marijuana were part of the same family of plant. Where Marijuana is the side which carries the drug. Hemp is the side of the family what does not carry the narcotic.
I've had this confermed by a farmer who grows industrial hemp.

' Sharks? Nah,no need to worry about sharks mate - the saltwater crocs ATE them all ! '
And some probably thought that was meant to be a joke.

'Stunning footage of a shark playing chicken with a crocodile mid-feed has shown the ruthless nature of the Northern Territory’s animal kingdom.'

Shark plays chicken with croc in NT river

Purely for medicinal reasons.
Purely for medicinal reasons.
Thats Straya Mate!!, Today Andrew Johns ,Newcastle Knights And Australian National Rugby league Hero, is to be seen on local and national tv, giving it large about his suffering with brain seizures, Not being a medical person I ask my self, could it have something to do with his career long abuse and addiction to heroin and or cocaine, which was conveniently covered up by his club and also by the australian national team, where as other players recieved 5year bans when they were caught,he was rewarded with the position of national youth trainer,but this just carries on with australias sporting record of cheating and lying to win at all costs, Australian Rugby League hall of fame hero Alfie Lange, signed a contract for a couple of millionsquid with the warrington wolves,after 6 weeks he received a career ending injury, he left warrington on tuesday 8 days later after a miracle he represented queensland in state of origin games,he also has astate career as a qld trainer,and chipshop owner, but thats straya mate!!!!!!!!!

Thats Straya Mate!!, Today Andrew Johns ,Newcastle Knights And Australian National Rugby league Hero, is to be seen on local and national tv, giving it large about his suffering with brain seizures, Not being a medical person I ask my self, could it have something to do with his career long abuse and addiction to heroin and or cocaine, which was conveniently covered up by his club and also by the australian national team, where as other players recieved 5year bans when they were caught,he was rewarded with the position of national youth trainer,but this just carries on with australias sporting record of cheating and lying to win at all costs, Australian Rugby League hall of fame hero Alfie Lange, signed a contract for a couple of millionsquid with the warrington wolves,after 6 weeks he received a career ending injury, he left warrington on tuesday 8 days later after a miracle he represented queensland in state of origin games,he also has astate career as a qld trainer,and chipshop owner, but thats straya mate!!!!!!!!!
I must be a rare Aussie in that I think professional sports people are nothing special in a modern society, and that pro footballers are worse than that.

I must be a rare Aussie in that I think professional sports people are nothing special in a modern society, and that pro footballers are worse than that.
You should talk to one of my current Aussie flatties. That bloke is a so into sports - he probably knows more about most American teams and their stats across the range than quite a few Americans.

However, he supports the complete opposite of teams I support. College football: him : Michigan State (that was my surprise - apparently he met a few gals from MSU while backpacking somewhere. Me: UofM, having obviously went to school there.

NFL:Him: Bears (he was supporting the Rams for the superbowl), me: the Patriots, as quite a few MI players went on there.

He works as a tradie in London - quite a character. He's off to OZ again tomorrow for a week for a wedding and was worried about warrants for unpaid parking/ speeding tickets worth a few thou. Said he might use his British passport at the gates instead of his Aussie one

You should talk to one of my current Aussie flatties. That bloke is a so into sports - he probably knows more about most American teams and their stats across the range than quite a few Americans.

However, he supports the complete opposite of teams I support. College football: him : Michigan State (that was my surprise - apparently he met a few gals from MSU while backpacking somewhere. Me: UofM, having obviously went to school there.

NFL:Him: Bears (he was supporting the Rams for the superbowl), me: the Patriots, as quite a few MI players went on there.

He works as a tradie in London - quite a character. He's off to OZ again tomorrow for a week for a wedding and was worried about warrants for unpaid parking/ speeding tickets worth a few thou. Said he might use his British passport at the gates instead of his Aussie one
Sounds like an alright guy unless he lives, breathes and eats sports (and won't shut up about it).

Sounds like an alright guy unless he lives, breathes and eats sports (and won't shut up about it).
He is a pretty decent guy...though he doesn't shut up about stuff at times. Though that's probably my inner Londoner talking now I guess. I used to be chatty like that once.

We were supposed to have a couple of pints while watching superbowl but he was too hungover from the night before so didn't happen.

I was always told that hemp and Marijuana were part of the same family of plant. Where Marijuana is the side which carries the drug. Hemp is the side of the family what does not carry the narcotic.
I've had this confermed by a farmer who grows industrial hemp.
Skunk marijuana and industrial hemp are hybrids of the same plant, which was, until the 1950s, called hemp. The same plant was used for clothing, paper, building, ropes, medicines and for smoking. It grew wild all across the NSW watersheds and creek beds.

In the 30s, US big business lobbied / influenced/ bribed to cut out hemp because it competed with cotton, wood pulp and nylon interests. Very powerful interests; Randolph Hurst, the DuPonts etc. By the 50s it had all but gone.

When hippies started smoking dope and objecting to Vietnam, politicians had a further chance to demonise hemp; they could target anti-war protestors for smoking rather than their views. So the war on drugs started.

As a result, medicinal cannabis was lost to the world. Drug dealers started growing ever higher THC cannabis and most of the world stopped using hemp at all.

Australia, being unable to think for itself, destroyed the Murray-Darling at the behest of US big business....

BTW if you cross a near zero industrial hemp plant with a high strength skink plant, you get back to old style hemp in the first generation.

You couldn’t make it up.....

Skunk marijuana and industrial hemp are hybrids of the same plant, which was, until the 1950s, called hemp. The same plant was used for clothing, paper, building, ropes, medicines and for smoking. It grew wild all across the NSW watersheds and creek beds.

In the 30s, US big business lobbied / influenced/ bribed to cut out hemp because it competed with cotton, wood pulp and nylon interests. Very powerful interests; Randolph Hurst, the DuPonts etc. By the 50s it had all but gone.

When hippies started smoking dope and objecting to Vietnam, politicians had a further chance to demonise hemp; they could target anti-war protestors for smoking rather than their views. So the war on drugs started.

As a result, medicinal cannabis was lost to the world. Drug dealers started growing ever higher THC cannabis and most of the world stopped using hemp at all.

Australia, being unable to think for itself, destroyed the Murray-Darling at the behest of US big business....

BTW if you cross a near zero industrial hemp plant with a high strength skink plant, you get back to old style hemp in the first generation.

You couldn’t make it up.....
"Hemp For Victory" by the US Dept of Agriculture

Doesn't work........tried it. They know what passports you have, and entry/exit from Oz requires use of Oz passport. They link it directly to the ATO too.
Shall pass it on to him. His flight leaves at 6pm later today London time. He is a pretty good bloke though, openly admitted to not taking care of tickets/ fines.

Doesn't work........tried it. They know what passports you have, and entry/exit from Oz requires use of Oz passport. They link it directly to the ATO too.
As a dual citizen, you can exit Australia on your British passport. There’s a possibilty of being asked why you are doing so; the system will show a British passport with no Australian visa. They don’t always ask and they can’t stop you going if you do.

Coming back in under a British passport is impossible since you can’t have an Australian visa or travel authority as an Australian citizen. When you arrive in Aus and don’t show an Aussie passport, you show your citizenship certificate and get interviewed by immigration.

You can board an aircraft in the UK without a visa in your British passport; you show your British passport and your Aussie citizenship certificate which gives you an inalienable right to enter Aus.

We had to do all of this when we travelled last year because Australia Post lost the kids passport renewal applications. So they left on their British passports and came back in on their citizenship certificate. Two hours at immigration......squeaky bum time, but it worked and is apparently very common.

Doesn’t solve @redshift’s mates dilemma as they still re-entered Aus as Australians.

Only in Australia would they think this was a good idea.

View attachment 376646
Yeah, in the UK it hasn't been superseded - there are signs everywhere warning drivers to beware of 'slow children in the road'.

ETA - From Wiki:

UK

The medical term "spastic" came into use to describe cerebral palsy.[3] The Scottish Council for the Care of Spastics was founded in 1946, and the Spastics Society, an English charity for people with cerebral palsy, was founded in 1951. However, the word began to be used as an insult and became a term of abuse used to imply stupidity or physical ineptness: one who is uncoordinated or incompetent, or a fool. It was often colloquially abbreviated to shorter forms such as "spaz".

Although the word has a much longer history, its derogatory use grew considerably in the 1980s and this is sometimes attributed to the BBC children's TV show Blue Peter; during the International Year of Disabled Persons (1981), several episodes of Blue Peter featured a man named Joey Deacon with cerebral palsy (described as a "spastic"). Phrases such as "joey", "deacon", and "spaz" became widely used insults amongst children at that time.

In 1994, the same year that Conservative MP Terry Dicks referred to himself in a House of Commons debate as "a spastic with cerebral palsy", the Spastics Society changed its name to Scope. The word "spastic" has been largely erased from popular English usage and is deemed unacceptable to use outside of specific medical contexts, thus reducing stigmatisation of the condition. However, UK schoolchildren allegedly developed a derogatory adaptation of the Spastic Society's new name, "scoper".

Australia

In Australian English, for some time, terms such as "spastic" and "crippled" were considered the proper words to describe persons with various disabilities and even appeared on traffic signs (in the state of New South Wales) warning drivers of such persons near the road. More recently these terms have fallen out of use and replaced with the more socially acceptable and generic "disabled".

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin The Book Club 0
2/51 Fill Your Boots 8
redshift The NAAFI Bar 19