Because 'Straya mate!

Tool

LE
Indo? If so it's quite interesting that it may have been adopted by Afrikaans from Malay/Indos brought in by the Dutch to work the farms.
<Confused Pedant mode> I thought the Malays were exiled from Oud Batavia* because they were shit-stirring. The Cape was as far away from Mother Holland as it was from the colonies, so was an ideal drop-off spot. The work on farms was co-incidental.
</Confused Pedant mode>

*Modern-day Jakarta

Willow can be found almost anywhere where the Voortrekkers outspanned, which usually means water and mud, the three requirements for a kleilatbaklei. The black clay we had was called "guncotton soil", squat diddly to do with explosives. It tended to stick to the lat, so the osbloed was the better option. Never tried the putty, but I guess that would have stung.

Black cotton soil in the Sud. Terrible stuff for aircraft. Only thing that can deal with it is the Twotter. Couple of fields there were restricted to Twotters only.

Black clay worked fine with quince lat. Why would there be willow wherever the voories camped? I know a lot of places have Wilger in the name but perhaps they were drawn to willows as usually being near a source of water.

My experience of them was Nepal and India, but I saw the Malaysian, Singaporean and Indon equivalent, the Rotan,which they are quite fond of introducing miscreants to; it’s a rattan cane, not as thick as the Lathi, but as effective, so that’s probably the forebear of the Laht of your youth.

Yup, Afrikaans word for cane is rottang. Warm your arse at school with one.

<Confused Pedant mode> I thought the Malays were exiled from Oud Batavia* because they were shit-stirring. The Cape was as far away from Mother Holland as it was from the colonies, so was an ideal drop-off spot. The work on farms was co-incidental.
</Confused Pedant mode>

*Modern-day Jakarta

Easy fix and they had the added benefit of being available for labour in the new Dutch colonies. If you've ever worked with 101 you'll know how tricky it was trying to get the Khoi or San into a western work ethic. Good troops but you'd get a curve ball if you were unclear on details. They were quite linear in their thinking, so you had to be very specific so as to avoid any crazy shit. I believe the original inhabitants of the Cape colonies were related.

Tool

LE
Black cotton soil in the Sud. Terrible stuff for aircraft. Only thing that can deal with it is the Twotter. Couple of fields there were restricted to Twotters only.
Found cotton soil in Botswana as well.
Why would there be willow wherever the voories camped? I know a lot of places have Wilger in the name but perhaps they were drawn to willows as usually being near a source of water.
Willow was the tool (tree?) of choice for baskets etc. It is called osier in the Northern climes like pomland. It grows very easily - all you need to do, literally, is push a green branch into the ground and come back three years later. Trekkers would stop near to water sources, and I guess the laities or pikanins would shove sticks around as small kids are wont. In the old days (said with a oubokkie accent), you could still stop at the outspan sights on the major roads. There would usually be willows, some naturally occurring, some planted by our forefathers.

Tool

LE
Easy fix and they had the added benefit of being available for labour in the new Dutch colonies. If you've ever worked with 101 you'll know how tricky it was trying to get the Khoi or San into a western work ethic. Good troops but you'd get a curve ball if you were unclear on details. They were quite linear in their thinking, so you had to be very specific so as to avoid any crazy shit. I believe the original inhabitants of the Cape colonies were related.
Remember the 101 Khoi on one of our courses in the Kaokoveld. Sent two of them to the local waterhole with the troop's waterbottles. Came back screaming like little girls. They had never seen elephants in the wild before. Took some time to find the water bottles, scattered like a mad woman's shit alles uber the place.

The Strandlopers evolved into the Khoi, San, !kung and some other tribes AFAICR.

As you all no doubt know, over the weekend we lost the Premier of NSW. Naturally there is endless grief, buckets of tears and rending of garments and so on. There is even a floral shrine developing outside her electoral office. Someone though has still got it in for those pesky Romans. I mean, what did the Romans ever do for Australia?

Glad.jpg

As you all no doubt know, over the weekend we lost the Premier of NSW. Naturally there is endless grief, buckets of tears and rending of garments and so on. There is even a floral shrine developing outside her electoral office. Someone though has still got it in for those pesky Romans. I mean, what did the Romans ever do for Australia?

View attachment 608054
If the sweating, ignorant masses had done as they were told and not selfishly travelled outside their locked-down areas spreading the bleedin’ Lurgy, hot-mess Gladys would’a had an easier time of it! And if she hadn’t been so keen on that bloke from Wagga she’d a been a bot better off, as well. Ah well, where’d we be if we did ‘t have the Pollies to keep us amused, eh?

This made me smile, the latest top 10 most liveable cities in the world have four Aussie cities in the list. Brisbane snuck in at number 10, Melbourne at number 9, and Perth was at number 6!

But at number 3 the one that everyone else ignores or slags off as being boring, Adelaide.

Australia Among the World's Most Liveable Cities for 2021

I thought it was NSW.

"Welcome to the hotel in NSW

It's a costly place, it's a basket case

Stuck in a room in the Hotel NSW"
… But, the Hotels Hobart you can leave … just not legally!

This made me smile, the latest top 10 most liveable cities in the world have four Aussie cities in the list. Brisbane snuck in at number 10, Melbourne at number 9, and Perth was at number 6!

But at number 3 the one that everyone else ignores or slags off as being boring, Adelaide.

Australia Among the World's Most Liveable Cities for 2021
Well Adelaide is boring now, since they stopped letting the police drown faggots in the Torrens

Latest Threads