Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Because 'Straya mate!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Yarra

Old-Salt
I've made friends with my local magpies, I feed them mealworms. I can walk freely around the park opposite my place without being attacked. The parents often bring their young ones over to my place for a feed on a weekend. They sit on the front door step and warble away until I come out. I love leaving the front door open listening to their warble.

Wish I could pop a few plovers though, those bastards aren't endangered and are even worse than magpies. A lot stupider too.

That is the ONE sound I really miss when away from Vic... :-(

...that and the 'PEEOOOOWWbopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopopop'' of the good old Aussie pedestrian crossing.

Seems the Noahs are getting a bit fangy this spring.

'A 59-year-old man spearfishing near the Great Barrier Reef in Australia suffered “catastrophic” injuries Sunday in a shark attack, officials say.

'Paramedics airlifted the man from Britomart Reef to a Townsville hospital, where he’s listed in critical condition, after the 12:30 p.m. attack, The Guardian reported.

“There was obviously evidence of a very significant shark bite to the patient’s upper thigh, pelvic region,” said David Humphreys, a doctor with LifeFlight Australia, NBC News reported.

'Britomart Reef, part of Great Barrier Reef, is a popular fishing destination, 9 News reported. The man had been spearfishing with a friend when a shark attacked him.'

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article246704021.html#storylink=cpy

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Bad Smell

Clanker
This guy is one of my Neighbours in the NT. Lives around the Dundee downs area.

I was fishing in a small creek running off the Victoria River, NT earlier in the year. We were using handlines and bait to catch Barra as rods were a bit too awkward to cast with due to the scrub and overhang. One of my mates had been on exercise with 6RAR back in the '80s and had flown down the river in an Iroquois and said he gave up counting crocs when he reached 100.

As I had a rod as well I decided to head further down stream to where it was more open. I was using a lure and after a casting for a while had no hits so decided to head back to the mouth of the creek. One last cast and winding in, "F*ck it, a snag". The lure had caught on a small root on the bank about a foot from the water. The bank was open and due to the recent tide was muddy as well. As a result I was standing about four metres back from the water.

The Emperor whispered something in my ear about the cost of the lure and how it would be such a waste of money to leave it there when I could clearly see the gold coloured lure shining in the sunlight.

A quick upper cut to self, common sense kicked it, and I cut the line, cursing myself as I walked away. Me scared of crocs? You betcha!

So back to handlines and safely standing two metres back from the water. Meanwhile we never did find out whether those constant stream of bubbles in the water in front of us were turtles or crocs.

I was fishing in a small creek running off the Victoria River, NT earlier in the year. We were using handlines and bait to catch Barra as rods were a bit too awkward to cast with due to the scrub and overhang. One of my mates had been on exercise with 6RAR back in the '80s and had flown down the river in an Iroquois and said he gave up counting crocs when he reached 100.

As I had a rod as well I decided to head further down stream to where it was more open. I was using a lure and after a casting for a while had no hits so decided to head back to the mouth of the creek. One last cast and winding in, "F*ck it, a snag". The lure had caught on a small root on the bank about a foot from the water. The bank was open and due to the recent tide was muddy as well. As a result I was standing about four metres back from the water.

The Emperor whispered something in my ear about the cost of the lure and how it would be such a waste of money to leave it there when I could clearly see the gold coloured lure shining in the sunlight.

A quick upper cut to self, common sense kicked it, and I cut the line, cursing myself as I walked away. Me scared of crocs? You betcha!

So back to handlines and safely standing two metres back from the water. Meanwhile we never did find out whether those constant stream of bubbles in the water in front of us were turtles or crocs.
That is how the croc known as Michael Jackson killed a seasoned fisherman in the NT. The guy had been fishing off the same point for years and every now and then his line got snagged so he would go in the water and retrieve the bloody lure. Well Michael Jackson, called so cos he had a white head and black body, decided it was finally lunch time and the fella got a nasty surprise. This is the croc.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
First Halloween, now we're borrowing the KKK from the Yanks?
Just shows how the media has driven the narrative, if you look at the display it could be interpreted that way, but could also be interpreted completely differently. But because the media is full of a certain agenda and story, that's what some people think of first.

Just like advertising for food, see an advert that associates early mornings with corn flakes and when you wake up you want corn flakes

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads