Because 'Straya mate!

Oops

War Hero
Building Land is at a premium in UK, unless of course ,if you are lucky enough to live in a council house with right to purchase, oop north its easy enough, but down south in surrey or hampshire, 500,000dollars australian will get you small 2 bedroom apartment if you are lucky, its different to australia,the larger villages like melbourne or sydney;) are over populated underdeveloped and house prices are out of reach for the average working family,but settle 100kms from the coast anywherein australia ,housing is cheap as chips, we bought our first (180 square metres living area) queenslander in Dalby QLD for 29,000$ in 1996 that was with a half an acre of land, you have to remember, that there are more people in the 2 counties of lancashire and cheshire than in the whole of australia. the middle of australia is desert complete with camels, so nobody wants to live there apart from the original surviving residents,it is still a great opportunity for any one who is prepared to work and dont believe the world owes them a living, european qualified experienced tradesmen are still being welcomed with open arms,an old fart like me was still welcome in aged 54 and 80% physically disabled, and never looked back,sorry for going off topicbut I do tend to ramble on:cool:
Erm,

Apologies if the population has tripled in the intervening years.
The 900 new houses being built within two miles of me might alter the statistics somewhat.
If I could get planning on our little patch, of be across in a flash, however, the buggers won't even let me convert the original brick built farmhouse (1773) into a new home for my kids, cos 8 ft would 'encroach on greenbelt land' (shitty farmyard)
The 200 ac. of intensively farmed class 1 arable land that's currently sprouting the houses is a different case entirely!

Tongnye

Clanker
May be. But neither Liverpool nor Manchester are in either Cheshire or Lancashire.
just because politicians change the county borders , I am still a lancastrian even though myhome town is in cheshire,you see bob we have a national history, I owe australia my life, but through its short history australia has only followed england, making the same government mistakes as the english parliament,mistreating and trying to rot out its native owners, slavery was still a common practise in queensland, over 35 years after it was banned worldwide,in the 70,s and 80,s british tourists were the scourge of holiday resorts in countries all over the world because of their drinking and bad behaviour, but now australian under 35s have taken over ruining and devastating foreign holiday resorts where ever they show up,I see on the news today,farmers complaining the lack of backpackers to help with the harvest, but in the same areas there are 1000,s of unemployed to lazy to work,and a soft govt lets them get away with it, but saying that UK is just the same, there bob you put me in whinge mode again ;)

just because politicians change the county borders , I am still a lancastrian even though myhome town is in cheshire,you see bob we have a national history, I owe australia my life, but through its short history australia has only followed england, making the same government mistakes as the english parliament,mistreating and trying to rot out its native owners, slavery was still a common practise in queensland, over 35 years after it was banned worldwide,in the 70,s and 80,s british tourists were the scourge of holiday resorts in countries all over the world because of their drinking and bad behaviour, but now australian under 35s have taken over ruining and devastating foreign holiday resorts where ever they show up,I see on the news today,farmers complaining the lack of backpackers to help with the harvest, but in the same areas there are 1000,s of unemployed to lazy to work,and a soft govt lets them get away with it, but saying that UK is just the same, there bob you put me in whinge mode again ;)
The reason there are so many unemployed when farmers need help with the seasonal harvest is that it'll cost them more more to upend their lives, travel to the rural areas where the help is needed, pay for rent there then reverse it all and move back to the city when the harvest is finished and the money stops. They earn more on the dole.

We badly need a cut back in immigration and decentralisation down here, but we're limited by resources (jobs, water etc). At least if they're in the city, they stood a chance of getting casual or part time work (which is getting worse because of the increase in "skilled' worker imports and the government driving us straight into recession by lauding the gig economy)

We're at the stage where recent migrants are packing up and heading back to the country they came from because they can't find work.

Last edited:

Tongnye

Clanker
The reason there are so many unemployed when farmers need help with the seasonal harvest is that it'll cost them more more to upend their lives, travel to the rural areas where the help is needed, pay for rent there then reverse it all and move back to the city when the harvest is finished and the money stops. They earn more on the dole.

We badly need a cut back in immigration and decentralisation down here, but we're limited by resources (jobs, water etc). At least if they're in the city, they stood a chance of getting casual or part time work (which is getting worse because of the increase in "skilled' worker imports and the government driving us straight into recession by lauding the gig economy)

We're at the stage where recent migrants are packing up and heading back to the country they came from because they can't find work.
Areas like Caboolture , pine rivers,Stanthorpe even Griffith all prime Fruit and vegie farming areas, have 1000,s of young people on the dole who are allowed to believe and get away with the idiom,that Manual Labour is a spaniard,they have been allowed to turn these areas in some parts to no go areas for decent folk,caboolture is known for gunfights with the police and multiple murders over the years, the sunshine and goldcoasts are going the same way, as far as foreign workers go only this frigging virus is stopping them from travelling for their homelands to australia,to do the work thataustralians are too lazy to get their hands dirty with,A bit like germany in the 70,s and 80,s,the father land imported labourers and technicians by the 100,000,s,from turkey, italy, jugoslavia,to do the dirty work that the germans were to fine to do,now after the unification mass arrivals of east germans, brought back the old racial profiles against the gastarbeiters, today the workforce in berlin,Cologne, Munich, nearly 40% of the workforce are german born turks,Muslims,Italy,serbs and Croats,but australian workshy dont have to worry with their baby bounties ,handouts from govt and charities, they get more support than the average aged pensioners,,whinge over for today,

Only in Aus. Someone has stolen almost 60 crocodile hatchings from a research park in Darwin

Look out for a bloke with new croc-skin boots in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

In the case of the shearers they travel from farm to farm doing the work, until the season is finished then they go back to wherever the came from. In the UK years ago there would be travelling bands of workers following the harvest, or the fishing boats or whatever else living in rough accomodation for the duration.

It would still be feasible to do the same sort of thing now, if it was well organised with a few camper vans. That's where the backpackers come in, they travel light and do the harvest at one farm, then move on to another. Except at the moment there are no backpackers....

Make it snappy! The first time I've heard of crocs in the Three Rivers District of NSW, and as far as Brisbane is concerned, hopefully this was an introduced reptile, rather than one from a clutch that was born in situ. As for them only being found in Queeensland's 'north' though, the Boyne River is quite a long way south!

'Imagine stumbling upon this guy on your afternoon walk in Brisbane. The juvenile saltwater crocodile was seized by Queensland wildlife officers after it was found about 80m from a creek in 7th Brigade Park in Chermside today. A member of the public noticed him, put him in an Esky and alerted authorities. The Queensland Environment Department said they believed the animal might have been wild caught before being transported to the state.

“Transporting wild animals – and in this case a dangerous one – without the appropriate permit is completely unacceptable,” they said in a Facebook post. “Apart from being very cruel, doing so can cause serious issues such as transmission of disease and introducing them into unsuitable habitat. The young crocodile is currently only 40 centimetres long, but if it had grown to full size, it would have posed a danger to the public.”

'They said the dehydrated and distressed animal had now been taken to their Moggill wildlife centre and was in a pond to recover from its ordeal. “But there’s a happy ending for this young crocodile who will now receive the best of care and be rehomed in one of our wildlife centres in south east Queensland,” they said. The department urged anyone with information about how the animal arrived in Brisbane to come forward.

'Crocodiles are usually only found in the state’s north and they cannot be kept as pets in Queensland. A crocodile nicknamed Hector once lived in the river at Lismore in northern New South Wales — more than 800km from their usual habitat. The last recorded sighting of Hector was in 1974.'

Last edited:
Back to some proper Oz stories. I suspect he'll get free beer on that one down the pub for some time to come.

'A speeding tradie told police he couldn’t have slowed down his car because he was fighting off a deadly brown snake with a knife as he drove along the Dawson Highway in northern Queensland last month.

'In outrageous, but real, vision, the tradesman, named “Jimmy”, is pulled over by police for driving 123km/h in a 100km/h zone. “A brown snake or a tiger snake, it’s in the back of the ute,” he says. “It was in the ute with me, I think it’s bitten me.” The officer moved to the back of the ute, where a large brown snake was bleeding and laying across the back tray.

'Jimmy said the snake had slithered into his car through the gear stick before wrapping around his legs. “The more I moved my legs … it just started to wrap around me.,” he said. “Its head just started striking at the (driver’s seat) chair, between my legs.” Jimmy used a seat belt and a work knife he had nearby to fight off the snake and then began driving towards the hospital, believing he had been bitten. Paramedics were called to the scene and determined he had not been bitten, but was suffering from shock. The eastern brown snake is one of the deadliest in the world.

'Jimmy was not charged.'

Are you talking of Australia or the UK?

Back to some proper Oz stories. I suspect he'll get free beer on that one down the pub for some time to come.

'A speeding tradie told police he couldn’t have slowed down his car because he was fighting off a deadly brown snake with a knife as he drove along the Dawson Highway in northern Queensland last month.

'In outrageous, but real, vision, the tradesman, named “Jimmy”, is pulled over by police for driving 123km/h in a 100km/h zone. “A brown snake or a tiger snake, it’s in the back of the ute,” he says. “It was in the ute with me, I think it’s bitten me.” The officer moved to the back of the ute, where a large brown snake was bleeding and laying across the back tray.

'Jimmy said the snake had slithered into his car through the gear stick before wrapping around his legs. “The more I moved my legs … it just started to wrap around me.,” he said. “Its head just started striking at the (driver’s seat) chair, between my legs.” Jimmy used a seat belt and a work knife he had nearby to fight off the snake and then began driving towards the hospital, believing he had been bitten. Paramedics were called to the scene and determined he had not been bitten, but was suffering from shock. The eastern brown snake is one of the deadliest in the world.

'Jimmy was not charged.'

Still doesn't beat the guy driving to the doctors with a shark on his leg

'Jimmy was not charged.'

You beat me to it. All I can say is "faark!".

The ABC report adds that: "Police said while this was a unique situation, snakes were protected under the Nature Conservation Act."

Tongnye

Clanker
When Gondwana wildlife sanctuary closed down in brisbane at the turn of the century,it was my job to organise the capture and shipping of all animals, birds and reptiles, not a big deal really largest birds cassawaries,largest animal male red kangaroos, largest reptiles juvenile salt and fresh water crocs, none larger than two and a half metres, so no big problems, 2 man teams per croc , tape the snout blindfold the buggerr tape to scaffolding planks, all done and dusted nostress to keepers or crocs, just wai for Mr Crocman steve irwin himself to arrive , first the TV crew arrived, then god himself arrived with a 6 man crew,who then proceeded to release the crocs into the empty pool, then after cameras were set up, mr irwin and his gang proceeded to dive onto the crocs scaring the bejasus out of them,to cries of crikey and this is really dangerous work,!! this fiasco was filmed in its mediocre show,it was the perfect example of how not to do things, a few months later Queensland parks and wildlife offered me the job of trying to train some of steve irwins staff basic zookeeping I tried but it was hopeless ,

It appears that, in addition to all the global turbulence causing uncertainty and questioning of the current order, the debate for a republic is about to kick off again.

'Bombshell correspondence between the Queen and the Governor-General over the 1975 dismissal of the Whitlam Government has revealed she was left in the dark over the final decision to sack the government.

'But the letters confirm that the heir-to-the-throne, the then 26-year-old Prince Charles was in the loop over the constitutional crisis and talking to the Governor-General Sir John Kerr over his fears that he would be sacked by Gough Whitlam, as previously suggested in historian Professor Jenny Hocking’s book.

'The release of the letters today, nearly 45 years after the Governor-General sacked the Whitlam Government, follows a High Court legal battle launched by Professor Hocking. In 1000 pages of documents, the key letter from Governor-General Sir John Kerr to Buckingham Palace on November 11, 1975 confirms the Queen was not consulted on the decision. The National Archives of Australia record search crashed barely half an hour after the documents went online following “higher than usual traffic”.

'Labor’s republic spokesman, Matt Thistlewaite, said once Australia gets through the COVID-19 crisis, it must begin a “mature and serious discussion” about future constitutional arrangements with a view to appoint an Australian as our head of state. “What these letters reveal is that our unelected head of state, on the other side of the world, was advising the Governor-General on how to remove our elected Prime Minister – and never once thought to tell the elected Prime Minister what was being planned,” he said in a statement with Labor MP Mark Dreyfus. “Just one week before the dismissal, The Queen’s Private Secretary, Sir Martin Charteris, advised the Governor-General he had the power to sack the elected Australian Prime Minister. “These letters confirm once again that Australia needs our own head of state.”

It appears that, in addition to all the global turbulence causing uncertainty and questioning of the current order, the debate for a republic is about to kick off again.

'Bombshell correspondence between the Queen and the Governor-General over the 1975 dismissal of the Whitlam Government has revealed she was left in the dark over the final decision to sack the government.

'But the letters confirm that the heir-to-the-throne, the then 26-year-old Prince Charles was in the loop over the constitutional crisis and talking to the Governor-General Sir John Kerr over his fears that he would be sacked by Gough Whitlam, as previously suggested in historian Professor Jenny Hocking’s book.

'The release of the letters today, nearly 45 years after the Governor-General sacked the Whitlam Government, follows a High Court legal battle launched by Professor Hocking. In 1000 pages of documents, the key letter from Governor-General Sir John Kerr to Buckingham Palace on November 11, 1975 confirms the Queen was not consulted on the decision. The National Archives of Australia record search crashed barely half an hour after the documents went online following “higher than usual traffic”.

'Labor’s republic spokesman, Matt Thistlewaite, said once Australia gets through the COVID-19 crisis, it must begin a “mature and serious discussion” about future constitutional arrangements with a view to appoint an Australian as our head of state. “What these letters reveal is that our unelected head of state, on the other side of the world, was advising the Governor-General on how to remove our elected Prime Minister – and never once thought to tell the elected Prime Minister what was being planned,” he said in a statement with Labor MP Mark Dreyfus. “Just one week before the dismissal, The Queen’s Private Secretary, Sir Martin Charteris, advised the Governor-General he had the power to sack the elected Australian Prime Minister. “These letters confirm once again that Australia needs our own head of state.”

A very interesting read. I would imagine that was stretching things in 1975, I can imagine a royal intervention like that today would cause mayhem. I can’t think of a worse move for the modern monarchy.

Latest Threads