Because 'Straya mate!

Tool

LE
Wasn't there a thing, God it must be 25 years or more ago, for ostrich farming in the UK? I seem to recall briefly seeing them in fields around my home town, what was that about and whatever came of the business?
At one stage, ostrich meat was seen as a low-fat alternative to beef. Coupled with the ostrich cornea and human cornea being the same size, a double-opportunity was seen - slag the chook, reuse the eyes in transplants. Unfortunately, the populace didn't take to ostrich meat, so the industry died back to its old levels.

At one stage, ostrich meat was seen as a low-fat alternative to beef. Coupled with the ostrich cornea and human cornea being the same size, a double-opportunity was seen - slag the chook, reuse the eyes in transplants. Unfortunately, the populace didn't take to ostrich meat, so the industry died back to its old levels.
Much to the relief of the world's ostrich population.

Given historical links and potential for family inheritance, the UK is no surprise, but I wonder who actually owns the money from places like the Bahamas, and then of course, there's China? I remember 20+ years ago hearing about Chinese plans for an international size runway on a cattle property in the Northern Territory (Anderson Downs?) for live beef exports. No security issues there!

'Who owns Australia? You’d be surprised to learn that the billion dollar barons of our farmland are a Canadian government worker super fund, a New York teacher insurance fund and an Australian pastoral giant backed by a Dutch pension fund.

'These three groups, the Canadian PSP Investments, the New York Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America and Macquarie Agriculture own a total of 6.3 million hectares of our agricultural land, AgJournal has revealed. While the largest owner of Australian land by size is Gina Rinehart’s Hancock Prospecting – with 9.7 million hectares – the hectares owned by the top three are worth more than $7.4 billion.

'Country by country, the UK is the biggest foreign investor in Australian farmland, owning 10.2 million hectares, followed by China with 9.2 million and then, each owning two or more million hectares, the US, the Netherlands, the Bahamas and Canada.'

Strange that. Makes excellent biltong and an ostrich drumstick on a spit braai is really good. Goes well in stews with bacon and red wine and the boerewors is top class.

And yet people will eat McFilthy's and KFC wthout batting an eye.

Tool

LE
Strange that. Makes excellent biltong and an ostrich drumstick on a spit braai is really good. Goes well in stews with bacon and red wine and the boerewors is top class.

And yet people will eat McFilthy's and KFC wthout batting an eye.
I agree with you on both accounts. Even when we lived in ZA about 20 years ago, we could get ostrich at our local Spar. They had a full range of ostrich meat (fresh, frozen and biltong), but the owner said he wasn't moving it in enough quantity to make it worth while. Here in Pomland? Not a chance. "It's too stringy" (B*s), "it must taste strong" (cock-on-a-string wrong), "it's foreign muck" (see my previous comments).

...And yet they'll put KFC ratburgers and McFilthy's mystery organ burgers in their mouths.

Words fail me.

I agree with you on both accounts. Even when we lived in ZA about 20 years ago, we could get ostrich at our local Spar. They had a full range of ostrich meat (fresh, frozen and biltong), but the owner said he wasn't moving it in enough quantity to make it worth while. Here in Pomland? Not a chance. "It's too stringy" (B*s), "it must taste strong" (cock-on-a-string wrong), "it's foreign muck" (see my previous comments).
I do remember once wandering around Oxford Market around Christmas. Amongst the rows of turkeys and geese hanging from the stalls was an ostrich.

In the mid 1990s while I was living down under, a Brit Veggie Tree hugger appeared in the media. She was sprouting off saying the Aussies shouldn’t be culling Skippy’s and selling the meat. What she’d failed to find out, was that the Reds and Grey Kangaroo populations could devastate crops. Especially during a drought. Also they bread like Rabbits, some of the big Mobs of Skippy’s are two or three hundred big.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
Yes, loved ostrich/emu. There used to be an ostrich and emu farm in the countryside just outside Monmouth; used to get steaks and sausages from there for the bbq when we camped nearby when the kids were little. No idea if it’s still going.

Yes, loved ostrich/emu. There used to be an ostrich and emu farm in the countryside just outside Monmouth; used to get steaks and sausages from there for the bbq when we camped nearby when the kids were little. No idea if it’s still going.
If it's this one, it's long gone!

Tongnye

Swinger
Australia is a great place to live if you are prepared to work , there are not many qualified tradesmen , most gain on the job experience, only in the last 10 years have the state govts started to promote and support apprenticeships in playing at home ,throw a sicky on monday to get over sundays hangover,finding replacements for language guides ,
In the mid 1990s while I was living down under, a Brit Veggie Tree hugger appeared in the media. She was sprouting off saying the Aussies shouldn’t be culling Skippy’s and selling the meat. What she’d failed to find out, was that the Reds and Grey Kangaroo populations could devastate crops. Especially during a drought. Also they bread like Rabbits, some of the big Mobs of Skippy’s are two or three hundred big.
one and a half million roos have to be culled yearly here in sunny dingo land, they are vermin and breed like scousers, here on the downs they are a real menace,make huge road pizzas though:p:p

I know twated enough of the buggers, running down from Goondiwindi while working for Simon National Carriers. Had an Emu once, just outside Moree. That made a mess of the Kenworths bonnet.
I was watching Outback Truckers last night, one of the blokes had hit a roo in his semi. It hit the side of the truck, sheared 6 bolts out of 8 that were holding a jack stand to the side of the trailer. The jack was a huge thing that he couldn't lift by himself.

one and a half million roos have to be culled yearly here in sunny dingo land, they are vermin and breed like scousers, here on the downs they are a real menace,make huge road pizzas though:p:p
They thrive on wide open grasslands. The more bush we wipe out for forests, the more there will be. Couple that with the fact that development and bushfires are pushing them into human inhabited areas, it's going to get messy.

Same with deer. They're reaching plague proportions in some areas. A mate of mine hit a deer out in Western Sydney a year ago, close to Quakers Hill NSW. Wrote his car off.

1. Week or so back there was a video of a roo in a deserted Victoria Square Adelaide .Vic Square is the dead centre of Adelaide, GPO govt offices etc apparently the footage went viral on the TVs news

1. Week or so back there was a video of a roo in a deserted Victoria Square Adelaide .Vic Square is the dead centre of Adelaide, GPO govt offices etc apparently the footage went viral on the TVs news
Pah, last year there was a tiger (snake) in one of the Tuggeranong Town Centre car parks.

Pah, last year there was a tiger (snake) in one of the Tuggeranong Town Centre car parks.
Lotsa snakes and serpents in Canberra.

Last edited:
People are suprised when they see how big the males can grow.

About 10 years ago I was at an observatory that was about an hour out of Canberra, next to one of the national parks, and a 20 min drive from what could be called the nearest town centre. Beautiful clear winters night for star gazing and no lights around apart from the quarter moon which was just enough to make out the landscape and walk around without a torch once your eyes had adjusted.

I had walked out of the observatory to take a break and get some air when a two pairs of shining eyes suddenly rose up from the ground and stared at me from about five metres away in the woodline. I'm about 5'10", these were about 6 foot of the ground.

I shit myself for a second before reaching for the torch and flicking it on to find two Eastern Greys staring at me before quitely going back to their grass meal. I just backed off an let them be.

The Eastern Greys roo's can reach about 60KG, the Red kangaroos grow even bigger.

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Lotsa snakes and serpents in Canberra.
Because people are filthy and encourage rodents.
If you're going to bait a city with rats don't expect the snakes to stay away.

The same works with the bipedal ones.

Latest Threads