Because 'Straya mate!

The big one referred to in the previous post.

Ref the Crocodile Dundee movie line as the lowlife scumbag tries to mug Mick and his luscious lady friend Sue.

Mick to muggist "That's not a knife, (draws a big Bowie) that's a knife"
I got the reference but not the picture as it was on another page. :thumright:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Wasn't there a thing, God it must be 25 years or more ago, for ostrich farming in the UK? I seem to recall briefly seeing them in fields around my home town, what was that about and whatever came of the business?
Ostrich are like sheep in that they sit around in groups deciding on the next weird way to die.
Disease, accident, misadventure or suicide, they try everything.
It's an expensive way to make a living.

Ostrich are like sheep in that they sit around in groups deciding on the next weird way to die.
Disease, accident, misadventure or suicide, they try everything.
It's an expensive way to make a living.
Kangaroo meat very healthy option as it is low in cholesterol, don't mind a bit of kangaroo, however it is a pretty stupid animal as evidenced by the amount of roadkill and they do make a mess of your car when you hit them hence the abundance of roo bars on 4wds etc.

Central market in Adelaide has a roo meat butcher just off the main hall, a variety of cuts and all very tasty. I've used roo in curries and stews, but the best way is a fillet cooked rare.

Central market also used to be home to a "wild meat" purveyor, who could provide anything from crocodile through buffalo and ostrich to roo and venison. We had a "can you guess what roadkill it is..." bbq one night with a couple of mates, picked up a selection of various meats and cooked them off. Croc was a bit too gamey, ostrich rather tough but the rest were pretty reasonable.

Central market in Adelaide has a roo meat butcher just off the main hall, a variety of cuts and all very tasty. I've used roo in curries and stews, but the best way is a fillet cooked rare.

Central market also used to be home to a "wild meat" purveyor, who could provide anything from crocodile through buffalo and ostrich to roo and venison. We had a "can you guess what roadkill it is..." bbq one night with a couple of mates, picked up a selection of various meats and cooked them off. Croc was a bit too gamey, ostrich rather tough but the rest were pretty reasonable.
I think the food hygiene rules prevent the sale of roadkill now. Years back, I worked on a site about 200km south of Brisbane. The foreman used to drive down first thing in the morning and stop off at every dead roo and take it’s tail. Sold them to a game market stall in Brisbane.

You used to see camel in the butchers; not seen it for a while. I think it’s because it’s mostly feral. The camel farms are dairying and most don’t slaughter the male calves so they don’t upset the huggers.

Central Market in Adelaide is the gormands go to food place pretty much everything food wise available with the exception of a decent bit of Wensleydale cheese can never get any to go with my Christmas cake.

Also many years ago 60s / 70s Qantas were famous for always serving kangaroo tail soup on their long hall flights
I think the food hygiene rules prevent the sale of roadkill now. Years back, I worked on a site about 200km south of Brisbane. The foreman used to drive down first thing in the morning and stop off at every dead roo and take it’s tail. Sold them to a game market stall in Brisbane.

You used to see camel in the butchers; not seen it for a while. I think it’s because it’s mostly feral. The camel farms are dairying and most don’t slaughter the male calves so they don’t upset the huggers.
go to lace pretty much everything available with the notable exception of a decent bit

Wasn't there a thing, God it must be 25 years or more ago, for ostrich farming in the UK? I seem to recall briefly seeing them in fields around my home town, what was that about and whatever came of the business?
I remember ostrich farming being advertised in newspapers back in the 80's as the standard "Get Rich Quick" scheme.

Maybe ostrich farming is still going strong in the USA where the Outback Steakhouse chain of restaurants give you a 'genuine' taste of Australia by serving ostrich steaks.

Kangaroo meat very healthy option as it is low in cholesterol, don't mind a bit of kangaroo, however it is a pretty stupid animal as evidenced by the amount of roadkill and they do make a mess of your car when you hit them hence the abundance of roo bars on 4wds etc.
Roo bars don't do jack when the kangaroos decide to simply jump over them and kamikaze into your windshield.

We're going to have to go full Mad Max if this keeps up.

Last edited:
Maybe ostrich farming is still going strong in the USA where the Outback Steakhouse chain of restaurants give you a 'genuine' taste of Australia by serving ostrich steaks.
I’m guessing Septics don’t know Ostrich is a African bird and haven’t heard of Emu.

I’d blame Rod Hull m’self.

I’m guessing Septics don’t know Ostrich is a African bird and haven’t heard of Emu.

I’d blame Rod Hull m’self.
Those that have seem to refer to it as an 'Ee-moo', or in the case of USMC mate of mine, 'a fucken' ee-moo!'

Last edited:

Tongnye

Swinger
emu,s ostriches all types of turkeys ,are the stupidest birdtypes known to man, they have the mentality of the average queenslander,always looking for ways to do each other harm,whether intentional or not,just a local example 18 year old farmers boy gets anew V8 Maloo ute for his birthday,packs 6 of his mates in the back and 3 in the cab,they also managed a couple of cartons of bundy and numeous slabs of beer,for a party at the local ring tank, the soberest of the group a 15 year old was delegated to drive home, he rolled the ute killed a couple of passengers and injured the rest, only last night east of chinchilla on the warrego,5guys in a single car argument with a tree on a straight empty road, but back to emus , one of our old feeding barns a 4 month old emu chick being inquisitivejumps into an empty food hopper,starts to squeak all its rellies come for a look , decide to jump in too for a look result 27 smothered emu chicks,they stopped breeding ostriches in our area about 15 years ago ,to many short sighted roohunter mistaking the for long legged bush turkeys.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
emu,s ostriches all types of turkeys ,are the stupidest birdtypes known to man, they have the mentality of the average queenslander,always looking for ways to do each other harm,whether intentional or not,just a local example 18 year old farmers boy gets anew V8 Maloo ute for his birthday,packs 6 of his mates in the back and 3 in the cab,they also managed a couple of cartons of bundy and numeous slabs of beer,for a party at the local ring tank, the soberest of the group a 15 year old was delegated to drive home, he rolled the ute killed a couple of passengers and injured the rest, only last night east of chinchilla on the warrego,5guys in a single car argument with a tree on a straight empty road, but back to emus , one of our old feeding barns a 4 month old emu chick being inquisitivejumps into an empty food hopper,starts to squeak all its rellies come for a look , decide to jump in too for a look result 27 smothered emu chicks,they stopped breeding ostriches in our area about 15 years ago ,to many short sighted roohunter mistaking the for long legged bush turkeys.
Christ, had the virus put a cull on punctuation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tongnye

Swinger
Sorry but I amstill using an old version of Dragon speak:(not being able to use a keyboard, seeing both mrs nig and I are both terminal cancer patients ,it just is a waste ofmoney to update anything , thekids have better ideas for our dosh, got another kidney op on wednesday, and a kidney removal in 5weeks you seriously think I give a flying FXXX about punctuation:headbang:

Sorry but I amstill using an old version of Dragon speak:(not being able to use a keyboard, seeing both mrs nig and I are both terminal cancer patients ,it just is a waste ofmoney to update anything , thekids have better ideas for our dosh, got another kidney op on wednesday, and a kidney removal in 5weeks you seriously think I give a flying FXXX about punctuation:headbang:
Best wishes to you both. I wish that you both can enjoy some quality in life and that you manage to cheat the odds. Failing that go out with a smile on your faces. :drunken:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did you guys grab @redshift and dump him in the middle of the outback? Not seen him or heard from him in a while.

Hi Nignoy, you fable telling prick.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads