Because 'Straya mate!

driverRE

Clanker
Now it's getting serious. If they close the pubs, there'll be rioting.

'From tomorrow Bunnings will be putting a hold on its iconic sausage sizzles, with the retailer announcing panic sparked by the coronavirus has impacted the availability of supplies.

'Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said the “tough decision” was made after speaking to community groups and finding out about the challenges they have been facing in recent weeks.'

Nooooooooo!!!! I'll get sausage sizzle withdrawal symptoms. :eek:

Last edited:
Now it's getting serious. If they close the pubs, there'll be rioting.

'From tomorrow Bunnings will be putting a hold on its iconic sausage sizzles, with the retailer announcing panic sparked by the coronavirus has impacted the availability of supplies.

'Bunnings Managing Director Mike Schneider said the “tough decision” was made after speaking to community groups and finding out about the challenges they have been facing in recent weeks.'

I just had an image of people in food lines buying these then eating the sausage and saving the bread for later

And people are surprised?

alcohol.png

'CBA said in a release that spending growth remains strong at supermarkets as households continue to stockpile as well as substitute food purchases from cafes, restaurants and takeaway shops with groceries. Food spending was up 18 per cent compared to the same week last year, while food goods – which mostly includes grocery stores and supermarkets – was up by “a whopping 40 per cent on year ago levels”, although it is expected to ease as people stop stockpiling.

"Food services, which includes restaurants and cafes, has plummeted to be down by 28 per cent – but spending on alcohol has “surged once again. The big 34 per cent increase on year ago levels confirms the anecdotes that households have been stockpiling beer, wine and spirits,” CBA said. “Spending on alcohol goods (ie bottle shops) is up by a staggering 86 per cent on the same week a year ago.”

And people are surprised?

View attachment 461311

'CBA said in a release that spending growth remains strong at supermarkets as households continue to stockpile as well as substitute food purchases from cafes, restaurants and takeaway shops with groceries. Food spending was up 18 per cent compared to the same week last year, while food goods – which mostly includes grocery stores and supermarkets – was up by “a whopping 40 per cent on year ago levels”, although it is expected to ease as people stop stockpiling.

"Food services, which includes restaurants and cafes, has plummeted to be down by 28 per cent – but spending on alcohol has “surged once again. The big 34 per cent increase on year ago levels confirms the anecdotes that households have been stockpiling beer, wine and spirits,” CBA said. “Spending on alcohol goods (ie bottle shops) is up by a staggering 86 per cent on the same week a year ago.”

I started drinking again recently after a 2 year dry spell. Bought a bottle of Chivas Regal 12YO and a slab of Canadian Club Dry the other day. All of the bottle-o's currently have purchasing limit's in place now because of the panic buying. I'm ready for my upcoming holiday though.

(Been trying to travel interstate for the last 6 months only to have one obstruction after the other thrown in front of me. I'm off on three weeks forced leave the week after next, and since I can't travel or go out anywhere I may as well get the garage finally setup as my radio shack/man cave and spend the time working the radio and getting pissed with the dog.)

Last edited:
That's a serious amount of Skippy to kick you in the guts!

'Deep in the forests of tropical northern Australia, palaeontologists have discovered the remains of what they say is the biggest kangaroo to walk the earth. Standing at an incredible 2.5m tall and weighing roughly 274kg, the massive roo was discovered near at least 16 species of megafauna in the South Walker Creek near Mackay.'

That's a serious amount of Skippy to kick you in the guts!

'Deep in the forests of tropical northern Australia, palaeontologists have discovered the remains of what they say is the biggest kangaroo to walk the earth. Standing at an incredible 2.5m tall and weighing roughly 274kg, the massive roo was discovered near at least 16 species of megafauna in the South Walker Creek near Mackay.'

Kangaroo steak is excellent.

Kangaroo steak is excellent.
Only ever had it as a steak once (Spud's Roadhouse, Pimba, SA), and that looked (and tasted) like it had been butchered using a chainsaw. Great in a stir-fry though!

Of all the different types and cuts of meat l can buy in Canada, oddly kangaroo mince happens to be one of them. Not a bad flavour in chili actually.
And yet, 30 or so years ago, SA was the only state in Oz that allowed it to be sold for human consumption. The vast majority went as pet mince.

You can pick up camel here as well, tried a hamburger, wasn't impressed even slightly.
There was (maybe still is) a restaurant in Alice Springs, NT that specialized in exotic Australian meat (Kangaroo, Water Buffalo, Crocodile, Camel, Donkey). The first two, great; the rest, not so much.

If it's feral, it's in peril!

Wasn't there a thing, God it must be 25 years or more ago, for ostrich farming in the UK? I seem to recall briefly seeing them in fields around my home town, what was that about and whatever came of the business?

There was (maybe still is) a restaurant in Alice Springs, NT that specialized in exotic Australian meat (Kangaroo, Water Buffalo, Crocodile, Camel, Donkey). The first two, great; the rest, not so much.

If it's feral, it's in peril!
Right across the border in Michigan there was a restaurant called Green Street tavern run by an Irishman that served that type of fare. It was pretty popular in the beginning but gradually waned after people started talking about what the food tasted like, just because it was exotic didn't mean it was good. If I want to spend on non regular meat, l generally stick with bison these days.

Right across the border in Michigan there was a restaurant called Green Street tavern run by an Irishman that served that type of fare. It was pretty popular in the beginning but gradually waned after people started talking about what the food tasted like, just because it was exotic didn't mean it was good. If I want to spend on non regular meat, l generally stick with bison these days.
Tried, and liked, Bison: similar, but different, from Water Buff.

Latest Threads