Because 'Straya mate!

Ford are doing OK in Aus now. They are selling more Mustangs than they did Falcons for years and the Ranger sells well. Still hard to get the bogans out of their Hiluxes.

I was reading a piece about Holden marketing which noted how they were still branding singlets, shorts and thongs when their core product was the VF Commodore. They had a truly superb car in the last Commodore which they utterly failed to market to the right market segment.

They were using messaging appropriate to bogan Hilux buyers to sell a BMW 5 series rival. They were never going to get their former clientele out of their twincab not we’re they going to get BMW customers to buy into the long neck meat pie footy vibe.
Nothing wrong with the Hilux, work provide me with one very capable vehicle if not particularly economical. They are the style of vehicle that suits the sought after Australian image . Unfortunately the last Holden and ford utes were just not practical Massive engines only two seats back end so light every time you accelerated the tyres spun, low clearance and not four wheel drive. They were of no use to anyone but the cashed up inner city tradie hence the reason they were pulled

Nothing wrong with the Hilux, work provide me with one very capable vehicle if not particularly economical. They are the style of vehicle that suits the sought after Australian image . Unfortunately the last Holden and ford utes were just not practical Massive engines only two seats back end so light every time you accelerated the tyres spun, low clearance and not four wheel drive. They were of no use to anyone but the cashed up inner city tradie hence the reason they were pulled
I’m not suggesting there’s anything wrong with the Hilux, just that marketing that addresses the Hlilux buyer won’t work for an upmarket saloon.

BTW both the Holden Colorado and Ford Ranger are available in 4x4 twin cabs. The Holden is basically the same vehicle as an Isuzu D-Max. Having driven plenty of kms in Hilux and Colorado’s, there’s not much difference in either quality or utility. The Ranger is IMHO a much better vehicle; the Raptor is awesome.

You should have nipped up to say g'day.
Had the intent, but a short duration visit and catching up with family left bugger all time to us, apart from walks on Coolum Beach at 0530 to start the day, when it wasn't coming down miss and pick handles! Currently looking (on line) at a unit on the south end of Peregian Beach as a possible landing pad.

The Ranger is IMHO a much better vehicle; the Raptor is awesome.
The Raptor is amazing fun. I dunno if OZ got the F150 version of it with the V8 (now with a twin turbo V6 Ecoboost) which is available in the U.S.

But even the new Ranger -Raptor is super fun to drive.

exiledblue

War Hero
Great until you roll the bugger and die.

Most of the fatalities out west consist for Hi Lux, Rangers, Colorado etc. Mainly with over 50's in really expensive versions.

I will keep my low gravity european car that will not roll over at the slightest twist of the wheel.

They are just leaving all the unprofitable markets, and retreating to to North America. They closed down GM EU, GM India etc.etc. Especially after they sold off Opel.

The only one still holding out of the big 3 globally is Ford.....with Chrysler with a tiny footprint in OZ.
Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge is crap. We sell them as well. We're handing back one of our two CJD dealerships to get something else better. One of the general managers here bought a top of the line Grand Cherokee for his wife. He picked it up then drove it down the road about 100 metres, whereas it died with a transmission failure.

People only bought them for the brand name, now they realise the amount of problems they have. CJD support in Australia is also bad, we have to call the States if there are any problems (no local support).

No wonders this bloke ended up doing what he did.

Our Ford dealership is doing OK with the Raptor. Mustang went gangbusters for a while then slowed down considerably. Still, we're hoping to get more Ford franchises.

Last edited:
Yep...welcome to your new Chinese overlords...

If Ford can hold out, in the long term, they may gain in on some of the market share of GM's.
If the build quality is anything like the Great Walls from a couple of years ago (yeah, we sold them briefly as well), we've got nothing to worry about. Unlike the drivers who buy them.

Last edited:
Certainly been a lot of rain, particularly in SE Qld. Coolum, on the Sunshine Coast, got 133mm in 2 hours one evening last week while we were there.
Had a big storm come through on the weekend that battered us pretty well.

It was strong enough to lift a 9KG gas bottle of a balcony and drop it on some poor bastard. He died.

Last edited:
If the build quality is anything like the Great Walls from a couple of years ago (yeah, we sold them briefly as well), we've got nothing to worry about. Unlike the drivers who buy them.
Seeing a lot of Chinese cars around now. Over the last year, our local Holden dealer has shrunk from a full sized multi-showroom dealership selling only Holdens. Now it's a single room in the least accessible part of the site; the last of the street front showrooms has recently become an MG dealership. The bit that punted Colorado utes is now punting LDV utes and vans.

Another ten years and Chinese brands will be mainstream.

Seeing a lot of Chinese cars around now. Over the last year, our local Holden dealer has shrunk from a full sized multi-showroom dealership selling only Holdens. Now it's a single room in the least accessible part of the site; the last of the street front showrooms has recently become an MG dealership. The bit that punted Colorado utes is now punting LDV utes and vans.

Another ten years and Chinese brands will be mainstream.
They'd have to be fighting the Korean brands though on small stuff. Very popular and are a hell of a lot better build quality.

We've got a Holden dealership with a smaller office onsite selling Kia. We're now preparing to move the Holden franchise to the smaller building and move Kia up to the main building.

There's a chance that broke people will buy the large Chinese cars. That's the only people I ever saw buying the last lot we sold (broke but want an SUV on the cheap. Never mind it didn't last five years).

Just realised, we've got MG now where we sold Great Wall.

They'd have to be fighting the Korean brands though on small stuff. Very popular and are a hell of a lot better built.

We've got a Holden dealership with a smaller office onsite selling Kia. We're now preparing to move the Holden franchise to the smaller building and move Kia up to the main building.

There's a chance that broke people will buy the Chinese cars. That's the only people I ever saw buying the last lot we sold (broke but want an SUV).

Just had a think about it, we've got MG now where we sold Great Wall.
Seeing lots of MILFs in MG ZS on the local school runs and they're definitely not broke. Might be over leveraged with housing costs, but they're in good jobs. Probably think they're buying British; the advertising is a little misleading.

Also starting to see people replacing Hiluxes etc with LDV utes; not as working trade vehicles but those who buy utes as a lifestyle vehicle. That said, my business partner bought an LDV G8 last year which is doing stellar mileage; he's on the road a lot. It's pretty impressive for the price.

Not for me through. My next car will be a Defender….

Seeing lots of MILFs in MG ZS on the local school runs and they're definitely not broke. Might be over leveraged with housing costs, but they're in good jobs. Probably think they're buying British; the advertising is a little misleading.

Also starting to see people replacing Hiluxes etc with LDV utes; not as working trade vehicles but those who buy utes as a lifestyle vehicle. That said, my business partner bought an LDV G8 last year which is doing stellar mileage; he's on the road a lot. It's pretty impressive for the price.

Not for me through. My next car will be a Defender….
We're doing pretty well selling Isuzu vehicles for trade usage. I think you are right regarding the cars being sold for lifestyle only though. Overleveraged people trying to maintain the illusion of prosperity.

GM fucked up royal. Glad to see the back of them frankly. We've got one Holden dealership that would be perfect for Ford to step into once Holden has gone.

Last edited:
We're doing pretty well selling Isuzu vehicles for trade usage. I think you are right regarding the cars being sold for lifestyle only though. Overleveraged people trying to maintain the illusion of prosperity.

GM fucked up royal. Glad to see the back of them frankly. We've got one Holden dealership that would be perfect for Ford to step into once Holden has gone.
Interesting conversation with our local Ford dealer recently, which also sells MGs and Mahindras. He was saying they’re selling loads of Mahindra utes to farmers who want a rugged working vehicle, not a tradies lifestyle tax dodge. Maybe the traditional twincab ute brands are abandoning that sector by going up market.

TBH most tradies need a decent van, not a ute.

Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge is crap. We sell them as well. We're handing back one of our two CJD dealerships to get something else better. One of the general managers here bought a top of the line Grand Cherokee for his wife. He picked it up then drove it down the road about 100 metres, whereas it died with a transmission failure.

People only bought them for the brand name, now they realise the amount of problems they have. CJD support in Australia is also bad, we have to call the States if there are any problems (no local support).

No wonders this bloke ended up doing what he did.

Our Ford dealership is doing OK with the Raptor. Mustang went gangbusters for a while then slowed down considerably. Still, we're hoping to get more Ford franchises.
Never owned a GM or Chrysler vehicle..only Fords....my favorite was my little Ford Focus SVT in college, which I bought it for not much money from a Ford Dearborn employee who barely used it as he used to be provided company cars every 6 months. It still had 2 years warranty on it - immaculate - and being an SVT, you used to get a free rental from the dealership while it was being serviced, you couldn't get that with non-SVT models.

For a college kid, felt like luxury. Had HIDs and handled awesome in corners. Even if it had only 170hp (tuned by cosworth), I could take on any larger vehicles in corners.

Still miss it.

Though, I came this close to buying a GM vehicle, when Holden almost exported the G8 Ute to the U.S., but that died when Pontiac brand was killed off.

Last edited:
Cheap and cheerful? Maybe not for cities, but for farms and like, where you couldn't care less about brand or image?

Interesting conversation with our local Ford dealer recently, which also sells MGs and Mahindras. He was saying they’re selling loads of Mahindra utes to farmers who want a rugged working vehicle, not a tradies lifestyle tax dodge. Maybe the traditional twincab ute brands are abandoning that sector by going up market.

TBH most tradies need a decent van, not a ute.
Never heard of Mahindra. Just looked them up.

It looks like the world famous Jeep lives on, just under a different name!

Never heard of Mahindra. Just looked them up.

It looks like the world famous Jeep lives on, just under a different name!
Well, they did start off by license producing Willys Jeeps originally...now own SsanYong and Peugeot motocycles, Pininfarina design studio etc..apart from others.

Had the intent, but a short duration visit and catching up with family left bugger all time to us, apart from walks on Coolum Beach at 0530 to start the day, when it wasn't coming down miss and pick handles! Currently looking (on line) at a unit on the south end of Peregian Beach as a possible landing pad.
Peregian is a nice village. Drop me a PM when you're up next, I'll take you out fishing.

Well, they did start off by license producing Willys Jeeps originally...now own SsanYong and Peugeot motocycles, Pininfarina design studio etc..apart from others.
If they have a better build quality than Jeep, Mahindra would be in a pretty good position to take Jeep sales once they become more well known.

Latest Threads