Because 'Straya mate!

Nothing surprising to be honest...we (as in me and my ex- company) saw that coming a few years ago. After GM started to pull out of unprofitable markets and handed over the ops to others.
Blimey my favourite globe trotting playboy,witty raconteur, world renowned photographer, Bon vivant, and SME on everything - is also a psychic.

Half of Australia’s longneck drinking, meat pie eating footy fans are on suicide watch tonight with the news that Holden will be no more next year.

GM aren’t just killing the brand; they’re leaving Australia completely In 2021. A sad day really.
They're leaving the Right Hand Drive market entirely.

Holden/GM dropped the ball years ago yet still acted like they're an industry leader right up to the end. The amount of demands they heaped on us was amazing compared to the other manufacturers we sell.

- Someone who works for a Holden dealership (among others)

Last edited:
Blimey my favourite globe trotting playboy,witty raconteur, world renowned photographer, Bon vivant, and SME on everything - is also a psychic.
You forgot urban abseiler.:oops:

You can knock those off the list. With regards to the psychic part, it's called having access to industry intelligence and forecasts.

They're leaving the Right Hand Drive market entirely.

Holden/GM dropped the ball years ago yet still acted like they're an industry leader right up to the end. The amount of demands they heaped on us was amazing compared to the other manufacturers we sell.

- Someone who works for a Holden dealership (among others)
They are just leaving all the unprofitable markets, and retreating to to North America. They closed down GM EU, GM India etc.etc. Especially after they sold off Opel.

The only one still holding out of the big 3 globally is Ford.....with Chrysler with a tiny footprint in OZ.

They are just leaving all the unprofitable markets, and retreating to to North America. They closed down GM EU, GM India etc.etc. Especially after they sold off Opel.

The only one still holding out of the big 3 globally is Ford.....with Chrysler with a tiny footprint in OZ.
I thought GM were keeping their plant in Spain under the restructuring.

GM is closing down the Chevrolet plant in Rayong, Thailand, as well.

Who's been stuffing around with the weather controls???

View attachment 447720
Certainly been a lot of rain, particularly in SE Qld. Coolum, on the Sunshine Coast, got 133mm in 2 hours one evening last week while we were there.

When you say footy do you mean aerial ping-pong or soccer ?
No, I mean footy. Which depends on what state you live in; its either rugby with two men short in the team, no scrums, line outs or rucks, or it's the bogan game they play on a cricket pitch in singlets. I don't profess to understand or enjoy either.

No self respecting bogan would call football footie; its soccer, which is played by girls or wogs.

Yep...welcome to your new Chinese overlords...

If Ford can hold out, in the long term, they may gain in on some of the market share of GM's.
Ford are doing OK in Aus now. They are selling more Mustangs than they did Falcons for years and the Ranger sells well. Still hard to get the bogans out of their Hiluxes.

I was reading a piece about Holden marketing which noted how they were still branding singlets, shorts and thongs when their core product was the VF Commodore. They had a truly superb car in the last Commodore which they utterly failed to market to the right market segment.

They were using messaging appropriate to bogan Hilux buyers to sell a BMW 5 series rival. They were never going to get their former clientele out of their twincab not we’re they going to get BMW customers to buy into the long neck meat pie footy vibe.

Ford are doing OK in Aus now. They are selling more Mustangs than they did Falcons for years and the Ranger sells well. Still hard to get the bogans out of their Hiluxes.

I was reading a piece about Holden marketing which noted how they were still branding singlets, shorts and thongs when their core product was the VF Commodore. They had a truly superb car in the last Commodore which they utterly failed to market to the right market segment.

They were using messaging appropriate to bogan Hilux buyers to sell a BMW 5 series rival. They were never going to get their former clientele out of their twincab not we’re they going to get BMW customers to buy into the long neck meat pie footy vibe.
My last ever ride in a Holden...was quite nice actually to drive, even if it was a sedan....sad to see a good brand go away.

And Ford did the right thing, with engineering the Mustang for RHD this time (even in the UK, apparently they are selling well). Funny fact: a lot of GM Camaro was developed and engineered in OZ but they didn't do any RHD versions of it. Might have helped.

1 (2).jpg

1 (4).jpg

My last ever ride in a Holden...was quite nice actually to drive, even if it was a sedan....sad to see a good brand go away.
So, why's that then? There are plenty of Holdens on the roads of Oz today, and will be for some time to come. As you're living there now, there should be many further opportunities, even tomorrow (take a taxi) to ride in one. Unless, of course, you're not in Oz at all.

So, why's that then? There are plenty of Holdens on the roads of Oz today, and will be for some time to come. As you're living there now, there should be many further opportunities, even tomorrow (take a taxi) to ride in one. Unless, of course, you're not in Oz at all.
Because I just use Metro, trains and public transport?

And further to your reply, the last one I personally drove.

You don’t see many Holden taxis in Sydney any more. Mostly Hybrid Camrys. Not sure about Croydon though!

Latest Threads