Because of one mans actions

#1
A link from another thread that I think is worth flagging up....

WOOTTON BASSETT, England — It started two years ago, the first time a military hearse carrying the body of a slain British soldier drove through town. An elderly man stood silent and alone by the side of the road, saluting as the coffin went by.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/19/world/europe/19wootton.html?_r=2&em

I'd like to shake that mans hand or arrange some recognition.

Edited to fix link
 
#6
Bloody pollen in here is making my eyes water
 

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
#7
It brings a lump to my throat. The fact that it is not an organised, official act makes it all the more special. Well done the people of Wootten Bassett, and those that travel to stand with them.
 

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#8
Difficulty in swallowing, and dust in this place bloody awful!
 
#11
Marvellous article! Thanks a bunch for taking the trouble to post it, Adam. Jaisus, but there's a ferocious amount of grit in the air at this time of day.

MsG
 
#12
Adam(KOS) said:
So, can we trace the old boy?
Wasn't he the chap mentioned in The BFG's post on the "Cortege At Wootton Bassett" thread?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=2620930.html#2620930

TheBFG said:
...........
The gent mentioned in the New York Times,George Brooks, is a fellow ex SnowDrop and Ex Pc,and although in work today managed to get away and showed up in time to pay his respects.
................
Or have I mis-interpreted the post? If so, apologiess.
 
#13
A very moving report. I am glad that people feel moved to mark the passing of these young soldiers. It is indeed their final parade.

Thank you, to the people of Wootton Bassett.
 
#14
Pete_the_writer said:
Adam(KOS) said:
So, can we trace the old boy?
Wasn't he the chap mentioned in The BFG's post on the "Cortege At Wootton Bassett" thread?

http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=2620930.html#2620930

TheBFG said:
...........
The gent mentioned in the New York Times,George Brooks, is a fellow ex SnowDrop and Ex Pc,and although in work today managed to get away and showed up in time to pay his respects.
................
Or have I misinterpreted the post? If so, apologiess.
I think GB is a loyal follower of the repatriations but NOT the guy who acted as the catalyst for them. Although I doff my cap to him as well :)

George Brooks, 61, who had served in the Royal Air Force and had traveled down from Bristol, as he always does for repatriations, said that when battalions came home from war they were welcomed and given parades.

“But these lads have nothing,” he said. “This is their parade.”
 
#15
....and there was me thinking I was 'ard, like, and would never get dust in my eyes ever again.

I'm off to do the evening meal now to stop Mrs Dave seeing the effect that piece has on my eyes.

Good on yer, Wootton and please keep it up.
 
#16
I want my money back from Dyson - their vacuum obviously hasn't touched the dust in this house. Well done Wootton Basset. An example to us all.
 
#18
dave8307 said:
....and there was me thinking I was 'ard, like, and would never get dust in my eyes ever again.

I'm off to do the evening meal now to stop Mrs Dave seeing the effect that piece has on my eyes.

Good on yer, Wootton and please keep it up.
Its the pollen tonight mate, thats all.... :cry:
 
#19
Attention!!
To every one that has contributed to this thread ( and taken a ganda at it ) thank you. But the main aim was / is to generate recognition of the one old fella who humbled WB initially and started the whole thing off, as well as recognising WB as a whole. So who was he? + Can we do something?
Ad'
 
#20
Adam(KOS) said:
Attention!!
To every one that has contributed to this thread ( and taken a ganda at it ) thank you. But the main aim was / is to generate recognition of the one old fella who humbled WB initially and started the whole thing off, as well as recognising WB as a whole. So who was he? + Can we do something?
Ad'
Adam(KOS) I've no idea TBH.

But I'd like to thank you for starting the thread. It's reminded me of when us youngsters in the 70's couldn't uderstand why our fathers and grandfathers went to the town's memorial every year.

We just didn't understand. Thanks to the internet and topics such as your's at least the youngsters today can find out, without fear of embarrassment/teenage angst etc when asking their parents.

Would be good to find out, but he may resent the intrusion into his private homage mate..
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads