Because of one mans actions

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Adam(KOS), May 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A link from another thread that I think is worth flagging up....

WOOTTON BASSETT, England — It started two years ago, the first time a military hearse carrying the body of a slain British soldier drove through town. An elderly man stood silent and alone by the side of the road, saluting as the coffin went by.

I'd like to shake that mans hand or arrange some recognition.

Edited to fix link
  2. the link doesn't work
  3. Seem to have got a bit of dust in my eye, from reading that.
  4. Bloody pollen in here is making my eyes water
  5. It brings a lump to my throat. The fact that it is not an organised, official act makes it all the more special. Well done the people of Wootten Bassett, and those that travel to stand with them.
  6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Difficulty in swallowing, and dust in this place bloody awful!
  7. So, can we trace the old boy?
  8. I couldn't have chewed my sandwich proper... huge lump in my throat...
  9. Marvellous article! Thanks a bunch for taking the trouble to post it, Adam. Jaisus, but there's a ferocious amount of grit in the air at this time of day.

10. Wasn't he the chap mentioned in The BFG's post on the "Cortege At Wootton Bassett" thread?

Or have I mis-interpreted the post? If so, apologiess.
  11. A very moving report. I am glad that people feel moved to mark the passing of these young soldiers. It is indeed their final parade.

Thank you, to the people of Wootton Bassett.
  12. I think GB is a loyal follower of the repatriations but NOT the guy who acted as the catalyst for them. Although I doff my cap to him as well :)

George Brooks, 61, who had served in the Royal Air Force and had traveled down from Bristol, as he always does for repatriations, said that when battalions came home from war they were welcomed and given parades.

“But these lads have nothing,” he said. “This is their parade.”
  13. ....and there was me thinking I was 'ard, like, and would never get dust in my eyes ever again.

I'm off to do the evening meal now to stop Mrs Dave seeing the effect that piece has on my eyes.

Good on yer, Wootton and please keep it up.