Beaufighter found on the beach

TamH70

MIA

Not sure if any of these are kicking about.
The last time I saw any depiction of a moving Beaufighter it was in the third and most minor Ben Fraser "Mummy" film, although I'm pretty sure it was only a model.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
They just left it on the beach in 1944 after it crashed? Why didn't they clear it up?
It's Lincolnshire, it'd be classed as an improvement. Much like the minor earthquake in Spalding a few years ago - caused £2million worth of improvements.

One made a very brief cameo appearance in Ice Cold In Alex. I think it was one if the target tugs out of Luqa. Last I saw was an Aussie one being restored at Duxford. I understand it's been shelved and sold.

I have a spare tin of T-Cut and a box of aluminium rivets if it helps.

Chef

LE
I have a spare tin of T-Cut and a box of aluminium rivets if it helps.
I've got some tank tape black and a hammer.

We're good to go:)

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
The Old Man nearly got to fly one when he was doing his conversion course for Hornets, but on the day he was due to fly it the weather clamped down. :(

ETA: RAF Benson, ‘54.

Chef

LE
The Old Man nearly got to fly one when he was doing his conversion course for Hornets, but on the day he was due to fly it the weather clamped down. :(

ETA: RAF Benson, ‘54.
Always the way, a friend's uncle/great uncle flew just about everything the wartime RAF could offer. Except for Mosquitoes.

Last I saw was an Aussie one being restored at Duxford. I understand it's been shelved and sold.
The one at Duxford is on hold, the problem is getting the right engines. Apparently there is some engines in Oz, but their Bristol Frieghter engines, it’s all the ancillary parts that are wrong. And those are like rocking horse pooh!

pooky

Old-Salt
My grandad worked on Beaufighters as maintenance crew in North Africa, he was a British Rail clerk before he was conscripted and went on to work in PR at Manchester Piccadilly. He wrote his memoirs, which are fascinating.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
A lookout on the Bridge of a Corvette in the Atlantic, called out 'Enemy Aircraft overhead Sir' 'Good God cried the Captain, this ship need to bloody wake up! It's a Beaufighter for gods sake, note the Fat Fuselage and twin fins. Wake up Man!!!"
A short pause and then the Look out called out ...'Stick of Bombs on the way down Sir!"

Latest Threads