Beat bobbies slash crime

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

POLICE have nearly halved crime in an inner-city Manchester area - by putting bobbies on the beat.

Bosses at Harpurhey decided to turn back time when it came to tackling the rising tide of crime.

Six uniformed bobbies were told not to worry about paperwork for a month and instead go out and about in full view of the villains. And the result was that crime was slashed by nearly 40 per cent.

2. Now if only they were wearing DPM and sported a HK G36...
  3. Bet they enjoyed themselves as well,being able to do what they joined up to do,catching/stopping scrotes!
  4. Coppers on the beat cut crime? What next - the Pope DOES wear a funny hat?
    How come everyone BUT the fcuking politicians can figure out the blindingly obvious: that the more coppers you have walking the streets, the less crime there will be?
  5. True, I live in Manchester and all the time I see them is when they go in Woolworths or talk to this crazy man who picks up carboard boxs and harrases women. Meanwhile my friend got mugged and had his bike stolen!

6. Tit! The whole point of it is that they are seen - by law-abiding people and the villains! Only then do we see the fall in crime levels. It's meant to be a visible deterrent, not an undercover op.
  7. Bobbies on the beat will help with crime. But the most important part of policing is you the public helping the boys and girls in blue by keeping your eyes and ears open and passing on any info that might be of help to the police.They can't be everywhere!
  8. This sounds pretty similar to Mayor Giuliani's "Zero Tolerance" approach which cleaned up NYC to a great degree--start tossing people in clink for "minor" infractions: graffitti, littering, jaywalking, public urination, etc. All these "minor" offenses add up to a general atmosphere of lawlessness and anarchy.

When I visited NYC in early 1988, it was a pit. Foul-smelling, filthy, dangerous. I spent a week there with a friend who was a native; it was about 6 days too many for me. I've not been back since, but people who live there tell me that while my description of the place did fit for 1988, the atmosphere in NYC has improved drastically due to Rudy's aggressive policing policies. Perhaps you'll see the same results.
  9. I wonder if they've managed to do anythig about people ridng bikes on the footpaths?
  10. no.. that's task is ofr the PCSO's... we have a green cycle path/route in town that crosses a foot way. Twot head stopped me and informed me he was seriously considering reporting me for cycling between the green route... all 3 yarsds of it. plastic hobby bobby!
    Lets get rid of these mongs and put more street coppers on the beat (with premission to shoot chav's on site!)

edied because i'm a bumpkin and can't spell proper like
  11. Pomps, I know a few coppers socially. I have'nt met one who thinks CSO's are a good idea. One copper told me that"CSO's make Specials look like Judge Dredd!"
    There was an ex-cop on TV yesterday morning. This guy had thirty years in and was scathing about CSO's among other things.
  12. Years ago,I got stopped by a Policeman,and asked if I´d got my cycling proficency badge etc;These days, I´m mildly surprised if at night,somebody´s actually got a light somewhere on their bike.

Since the Plod got their `Panda Cars`,they´ve become about as scarce,on the streets,as their namesakes,in the jungles of China,(put that last bit in, before some cnut/wag realises he hasn´t seen many real Pandas on the streets either!).

Apparently,there are some towns,in East Anglia,where a Bobby turns up once a week.Either they are crime free,or there´s not enough of them to go around,reminds me of the story of Mafeking.

Keep passing the lamp,they´ll think they´re outnumbered!

Hasn´t this discussion,been going on for about 30 odd years? :roll:
  13. But they are cheap, so there are going to be lots more of them, this from where I am:-

The county Force is now recruiting more Police Community Support Officers as part of its extended policing family, and is on the look out for people who are ready to take up the challenge and add something different to their lives.

Over the next financial year, the Force will be recruiting 56 Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and a further 117 in 2007/08, and is now encouraging people to apply for the posts. Adverts will be appearing in the local media this week and next for these permanent positions, not fixed term contracts as was the case for earlier recruitment.

Police Community Support Officers carry out high visibility patrols in town centres, residential areas and around schools across the county, to support local police officers and the community in tackling low-level crime and anti-social behaviour, and to provide public reassurance.

PCSOs are part of the Home Office’s pledge to introduce neighbourhood policing teams across the country, and in *********,
    PCSOs will form an important part of the Safer Community Teams which are being rolled out across the county.

PCSOs were first introduced on the Western Police Area in March 2003 as part of a Government pilot scheme. The Force now has 40 PCSOs, a number of whom are part-funded by local authorities and Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnerships.

Alan *******, Assistant Chief Constable of ********* Police, said: “Police Community Support Officers are pivotal to the success of Safer Community Teams and the current ones have been very well received, with a recent survey showing 97 per cent of the public believing that they are ‘a good idea’.

“As their name suggests, Police Community Support Officers spend the majority of their time out and about in the community, and are an essential conduit for community intelligence.

“They provide the very visible, reassuring presence that people tell us they want to see and the appointment of 56 more this year and 117 next year will help us to maintain a high profile and further tackle the kind of local problems that may not be serious crime but do seriously affect people’s quality of life.

“They should become well known in the community where they will be working, making links with residents and schools and supporting our community policing efforts.”

The 56 PCSOs that the Force is now recruiting will form part of 10 Safer Community Teams that will be rolled out across the county this summer. The 117 to be recruited in 2007/08 will make up further Safer Community Teams. The aim is that over an 18-month period, a dedicated Safer Community team will be introduced for every neighbourhood in ***********.

High visibility uniformed foot patrols
    Support Community Beat Officers and Community Action Teams in local problem solving initiatives
    House visits to gather intelligence and offer public reassurance following minor crimes or anti-social behaviour
    Engagement with key stakeholders in the community
    Liaison with Community Watch, Business Watch, Horse Watch, Neighbourhood Watch, Pub Watch and Farm Watch schemes
    Preserve crime scenes
    Collect CCTV evidence
    Provide low level crime prevention and personal safety advice
    Undertake low level missing person enquiries in line with their role of increasing visible policing
    Act as a professional witness, attending court when required
    Undertake environmental audits to support crime prevention
    Engage with youths
    Interact with schools
    Support the Mobile Police Station
    Support Crime and Disorder Reduction Partnerships

PCSOs have a wide range of powers. Some of the key ones include:

· Power to issue Fixed Penalty Notices for dog fouling, littering and cycling on a footpath, graffiti and fly-posting
    · Power to detain (for up to 30 minutes)
    · Power to use reasonable force to prevent a detained person making off
    · Power to require name and address of person whom a PCSO has reason to believe has committed a relevant offence
    · Power to require name and address in incidents of anti-social behaviour
    · Power to require persons drinking in designated places to surrender alcohol
    · Power to enter and search any premises to save life and limb or prevent serious damage to property
    · Power to seize vehicles used to cause alarm and distress
    · Power to require persons aged under 18 to surrender alcohol
    · Power to seize tobacco from a person aged under 16
    · Power to remove abandoned vehicles
    · Power to disperse groups and remove persons under 16 to their place of residence
    · Power to enforce bye-laws
    · Power to deal with begging
    · Power to search detained persons for dangerous items or items that could be used to assist escape
    · Power to search for alcohol and tobacco
    · Power to seize unconcealed drugs or drugs found whilst searching for dangerous items, alcohol or tobacco
    · Power to require name and address for possession of drugs
  14. "by putting bobbies on the beat."
    My My.
    I used to work out of the Manchester police heli hanger. I had many a debate with Bobbies on what I thought that
    Mr Average Citizen wants
    Bobbies on the streets was one of my main requirements.
    I always remember one Sgt, ex Booty, good guy who was going places argueing the opposite. I beleived then, he was just pushing he official party line, had to be PC.
    Men visible on the streets, now a tooch more on strick disipline for young thugs, Not werry PC but just what Mr + Mrs Average Citizen would like to see.
    john in PC mode ish hence the (Mrs) no (Ms).