Bearer party KIA. Brize Norton.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BenghaziBandit, Apr 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I may be wrong on this but I notice that the Polish troops carrying the coffins from KATYN are in step.
    I think that the bearer parties at Brize Norton I have seen are different foot forward on one side of coffin to the other, am I mistaken?
  2. if both sides of the coffin are in the same step it can look like it is swaying fromm side to side, if you step off both sides inside foot first the coffin stays central or thats what I understood from my drill course
  3. Like the UK, Australian drill for bearer party is to step off on the inside foot too, for the reasons BA describes.
  4. Thank you, that's what I thought, but fortunately never having been in a bearer party, too small and certainly not smart enough.
  5. I carried a coffin at a funeral a few years ago, which was non-military I must add.

We weren't briefed up at the start or anything, just picked it up and set off from the hearse.

We soon shuffled together and got into step with each other with one side a mirror image of the other, as described above by BoundApprentice. This way worked best in my opinion. Seemed most natural.
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I carried a coffin for a deceased recently-retired Mess member. Step off on the inside foot for the reasons given.

We also crossed arm onto oppo's shoulder to support the coffin - they never seem to do that in civvy street either.
  7. What he said, as taught at Pirbright.
  8. Not anymore the course is at catterick and the old drill wing square was a carpark last time i was there