Beards

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by growler, Mar 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All, Just decided, in my dotage, to grow a beard - think “badger’s arse” after 7 days!
    But was wandering if there was any truth in the Pioneer Corps sergeant and
    Blue & Royals/ Life Guards farriers having to be able to grow them. What are the rules
    these days?

2. I believe queens regs tells you who, what and where can grow whiskers!

This can be downloaded on the official army website!!!

I believe Pioneer serjeants and sergeants in inf bns can grow a full set as in old times they had to be up to chop wood!

Same with farriers but im not sure there!

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I believe this has been covered (no pun intended) before, but some time ago.

Pioneer Sergeants are allowed to grow full sets. The reason being that originally they were civilians hired by the army to carry out the various pioneer tasks i.e. general handymen. They were not therefore covered by regulations and most wore beards as was the custom for civvies (mostly male ones) in those days. Yet another tradition carried on from days of yore. Also allowed to wear beards are Pipe Sergeants as they also were originally civilians employed by Scottish Regiments. I am sure the same principle applies to Farrier Sergeants.

4. Auld yin.... Re beards and mainly males..... you looked at female soldiers lately?

5. I think the farriers and pioneers were allowed to grow beards as there was some thinking that this would protect them from horse borne diseases........

Perhaps it prevented a full horse/mouth seal from developing..........

Foreign Legion pioneer Sgts also wear beards.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I thought on the Pioneer side, the growing of a beard was restricted to Assualt Pioneer Warrant Officers.

Or a meringue?

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

9. I seem to remember reading that they must grow a beard unless they have an excuse chit.

10. Is this why I was accused in chat this afternoon by Taff(some random number) of being a chunkie (sp). I admitted my tache needed a trim though. Are firemen allowed beards?

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Canadian pioneers may grow one but have to get permish to shave. In 1 LI the Pioneer pln sgt always had one unless he had a chit, the pln was rarely established, dual hatted reserve sections 1 per rifle coy in my time. I saw a pick of KOSB or A&SH in the 60's/70's where the whole pln wore beards!

12. The pioneer sgt n 1 PWRR had a beard in Kosoo 2000

13. No, it interferes with the fit of breathing apparatus.

14. Are Firemen allowed beards?
    Back in my time as auxiliary fireman yes we were allowed beards, but retained and full time firemen were not. Because they used breathing apparatus (BA) whereas we AFS types just had to crawl about on the floor and cough a lot. The AFS is of course long gone now so I doubt you will see any bearded sorts at your local fire station