Beards

Morning All, Just decided, in my dotage, to grow a beard - think “badger’s arse” after 7 days!
But was wandering if there was any truth in the Pioneer Corps sergeant and
Blue & Royals/ Life Guards farriers having to be able to grow them. What are the rules
these days?

I believe queens regs tells you who, what and where can grow whiskers!

This can be downloaded on the official army website!!!

I believe Pioneer serjeants and sergeants in inf bns can grow a full set as in old times they had to be up to chop wood!

Same with farriers but im not sure there!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
me n bee said:

I believe Pioneer serjeants and sergeants in inf bns can grow a full set as in old times they had to be up to chop wood!

I believe this has been covered (no pun intended) before, but some time ago.

Pioneer Sergeants are allowed to grow full sets. The reason being that originally they were civilians hired by the army to carry out the various pioneer tasks i.e. general handymen. They were not therefore covered by regulations and most wore beards as was the custom for civvies (mostly male ones) in those days. Yet another tradition carried on from days of yore. Also allowed to wear beards are Pipe Sergeants as they also were originally civilians employed by Scottish Regiments. I am sure the same principle applies to Farrier Sergeants.

Auld yin.... Re beards and mainly males..... you looked at female soldiers lately?

I think the farriers and pioneers were allowed to grow beards as there was some thinking that this would protect them from horse borne diseases........

Perhaps it prevented a full horse/mouth seal from developing..........

Foreign Legion pioneer Sgts also wear beards.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought on the Pioneer side, the growing of a beard was restricted to Assualt Pioneer Warrant Officers.

Or a meringue?

AlienFTM said:
I thought on the Pioneer side, the growing of a beard was restricted to Assualt Pioneer Warrant Officers.

The Pioneer Sergeant (platoon sergeant of the assault pioneer platoon) was permitted, in some Bns expected, to grow a beard. The appointment of a warrant officer to the assault pioneer platoon (as Pl Comd or 2ic) is comparitively new, late 1970s if memory serves, though I do not recall the Assault Pioneer WO wearing a beard.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Busterdog said:
AlienFTM said:

The Pioneer Sergeant (platoon sergeant of the assault pioneer platoon) was permitted, in some Bns expected, to grow a beard. The appointment of a warrant officer to the assault pioneer platoon (as Pl Comd or 2ic) is comparitively new, late 1970s if memory serves, though I do not recall the Assault Pioneer WO wearing a beard.
The Royal Scots Pioneer WO certainly wore it at one stage (late 60s early 70s) but mainly because he had worn it as a Sgt, kept it as CSgt and WO. Busterdog, if you are who I think you are you will remember him Jimmy S******.

Auld-Yin said:
me n bee said:

I believe this has been covered (no pun intended) before, but some time ago.

Pioneer Sergeants are allowed to grow full sets. The reason being that originally they were civilians hired by the army to carry out the various pioneer tasks i.e. general handymen. They were not therefore covered by regulations and most wore beards as was the custom for civvies (mostly male ones) in those days. Yet another tradition carried on from days of yore. Also allowed to wear beards are Pipe Sergeants as they also were originally civilians employed by Scottish Regiments. I am sure the same principle applies to Farrier Sergeants.
Is this why I was accused in chat this afternoon by Taff(some random number) of being a chunkie (sp). I admitted my tache needed a trim though. Are firemen allowed beards?

ugly

LE
Canadian pioneers may grow one but have to get permish to shave. In 1 LI the Pioneer pln sgt always had one unless he had a chit, the pln was rarely established, dual hatted reserve sections 1 per rifle coy in my time. I saw a pick of KOSB or A&SH in the 60's/70's where the whole pln wore beards!

Are Firemen allowed beards?
Back in my time as auxiliary fireman yes we were allowed beards, but retained and full time firemen were not. Because they used breathing apparatus (BA) whereas we AFS types just had to crawl about on the floor and cough a lot. The AFS is of course long gone now so I doubt you will see any bearded sorts at your local fire station

There was an RCT full screw at the Apprentices College in Chepstow that I knew years ago.......1975 ish. He had been allowed to grow a beard on medical grounds that it would help him with a stutter........he did, however, admit to me that the stutter had gone years previously but, he felt no need to tell anyone as he could not be bothered to shave.

ugly

LE
We had a TA sgt in 5 Queens with medical dispensation for a full set due to acid bomb burns from NI when a reg. He is now a Royal sigs TA officer on Permanent contract I believe. Picked up more chest confetti in the last 5 years than in all the previous 30! Nice bloke and if you're reading this hello D**ch!

Tallest man in 74(Battleaxe Coy)Bty carries the axe and is required to grow a full set prior to carrying axe on parades,do not know if it is still a tradition or not,any 74 Bty confirm?

growler said:
Morning All, Just decided, in my dotage, to grow a beard - think “badger’s arse” after 7 days!
But was wandering if there was any truth in the Pioneer Corps sergeant and
Blue & Royals/ Life Guards farriers having to be able to grow them. What are the rules
these days?
How bizarre, I too have decided to grow one while I am "on the sick". Pioneering stuff eh? I'll get my hot towels... :roll: :oops:

Interesting stuff, I was a Pioneer Sgt with my unit and was required to grow the full set. Though very uncomfortable for the first few weeks, one became accustomed to the fuzz. I have been out of the service now for 20 years and in all that time I have never shaved the chin (God knows what may be lurking in the undergrowth). Keep it quiet, I still have the Silver axe head and the bobbies helmet and the leather apron, the Mrs likes me now and again to relive my youth! :lol: