bearded warriors

#1
Who can grow a full beard in today's army ?
(afghan pics show just about everyone with one.)

Is the rule for in the UK only the senior Pioneer sgt of each battalion or are others permitted too?
 
#2
Most of the WRAC I came across had beards (you might detect a couple of double entendres in this post).
 
#3
two_of_seven said:
Who can grow a full beard in today's army ?
(afghan pics show just about everyone with one.)

Is the rule for in the UK only the senior Pioneer sgt of each battalion or are others permitted too?
I do believe that beards are mandatory in the Afghan army.
 
#4
There were a few ZZ Top lookalikes (FFR Pioneers) on parade in Paris on July 14.
 
#5
eodmatt said:
Most of the WRAC I came across had beards (you might detect a couple of double entendres in this post).
delete WRAC insert AGC & their beard is now more obvious these days.
 
#10
Yes I know it's old and from the Dalai Mail

The British Army has abandoned more than a century of military tradition by allowing its soldiers in Afghanistan to grow beards.
Normally the only soldier in an infantry battalion allowed to sport a full beard is the Pioneer Sergeant, who is a battlefield engineer - although the others can have a moustache.
The other practical reason for the ban is that they prevent gas masks from securing a tight fit. Gas masks are not used in Afghanistan because there is no threat from chemical weapons.
That was from 2006.
 
#11
mistersoft said:
Yes I know it's old and from the Dalai Mail

The British Army has abandoned more than a century of military tradition by allowing its soldiers in Afghanistan to grow beards.
Normally the only soldier in an infantry battalion allowed to sport a full beard is the Pioneer Sergeant, who is a battlefield engineer - although the others can have a moustache.
The other practical reason for the ban is that they prevent gas masks from securing a tight fit. Gas masks are not used in Afghanistan because there is no threat from chemical weapons.
That was from 2006.
Do you reckon the Army really abandoned more than a century of military tradition by allowing us to grow beards? O r was it more to do with the practicalities of suppling enough water and of course local customs.
 
#12
The army abandoned more than a century of tradition for the reasons you gave as well as the lack of CW threat.
 
#14
eodmatt said:
The army abandoned more than a century of tradition for the reasons you gave as well as the lack of CW threat.
and no doubt the tradition is reinstated by the Really Scary Man once back in UK
 
#15
We used to jib about the Dutch soldiers in BAOR in the 70's - some of them used to have to wear hair nets.
 
#16
The theory, along with the fact that water in the PBs/FOBs is really tight, is that Afghan Elders and Tribal leaders will speak to or listen to an individual who has a fully grown beard, its a respect and position idea, and has had its positive results.
 
#17
Don't see why I can't have hair in any way I like as long as it is not untidy/unkempt or a safey hazard.

I could easily bun my hair like a woman.

Likewise, why can't I have my face adorned by a beard or goatee?

And can some why we tuck our Combat Jacket Lightweight in?

And with this in mind...

A senior officer said: "After the experience of Vietnam, where standards slipped drastically, the US insisted on very high standards of appearance.

"These are evident alongside us in Afghanistan."


Another source said: "There has been a slide in appearance standards in some parts of the Army. It's good these basics are being gripped."

But a retired colonel said: "On operational tours dress code is irrelevant. It's their battle skills we need.
Could someone explain the following shows of force by the Yanks?

Two US Soldiers get married whilst on patrol. Giving away their patrols location and timings in order to acheive knot tieing.

But at least they were "high and tight" eh...
 

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#18
chocolate_frog said:
mistersoft said:
Yes I know it's old and from the Dalai Mail

The British Army has abandoned more than a century of military tradition by allowing its soldiers in Afghanistan to grow beards.
Normally the only soldier in an infantry battalion allowed to sport a full beard is the Pioneer Sergeant, who is a battlefield engineer - although the others can have a moustache.
The other practical reason for the ban is that they prevent gas masks from securing a tight fit. Gas masks are not used in Afghanistan because there is no threat from chemical weapons.
That was from 2006.
Do you reckon the Army really abandoned more than a century of military tradition by allowing us to grow beards? O r was it more to do with the practicalities of suppling enough water and of course local customs.
In the Gulf in 1970 my CSM said 'No shaving your using your drinking water'. Didn't please some of the grown ups but he didn't care. :D
 
#19
Unknown_Callsign said:
The theory, along with the fact that water in the PBs/FOBs is really tight True, is that Afghan Elders and Tribal leaders will speak to or listen to an individual who has a fully grown beard absolute balls, its a respect and position idea, and has had its positive results.
They are aware that our culture is different from theirs (it is painfully obvious, sometimes).

The odd and sods seen cutting about with beards have reasons for it that do not involve getting respect in shuras.
 

Similar threads

New Posts