Beard in SF??

I have no dog in the ongoing beards-in-the-British-Army row, but I was perusing the latest copy of Soldier and read the trite response on the Talkback page to a genuine letter about how the beards policy is putting many good recruits off the Army.

Genuine query then. If a Muslim soldier is allowed by MOD policy to wear a full set, what is to stop any bloke from formally changing his religion on JPA, growing a beard and making at least a passing effort to learn the Shahada etc! (Wouldn't have to pray 5 times a day as not all gen Muslims do!)

A lot of soldiers pretend to be Rastafarian to get around hair/beard rules.
Which just shows how ******* stupid the hierarchy is by continuing to have a pointless rule.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I did a mushroom picking course at River Cottage once, the majority of the students were exactly as you've described.
I did one of those at PATA - nobody was wearing a beard.

A lot of soldiers pretend to be Rastafarian to get around hair/beard rules.
Which just shows how ******* stupid the hierarchy is by continuing to have a pointless rule.
I do recall, late ‘60s, quite a few black soldiers being excused shaving for medical reasons. They were getting razor bumps from ingrowing whiskers, which got nicked and resulted in infected sores.
The problem (which can affect anybody with tightly curled whiskers) was pragmatically solved by disciplinary rather than medical means: sufferers were told that they had x number of weeks for the problem to resolve, after which they would be administratively discharged.
Keep your razor sharp, shave with the grain, and the problem goes away.
The risk of infecting a razor nick is why you don’t shave in the jungle.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section but I had to ask...

I was reading this article on 18 Sigs - UK Special Forces breakdown: 18 (UKSF) Signals Regiment | SOFREP and I noticed that the British soldier in the photo has a beard behind his blacked out face.

I always thought facial hair was prohibited in the army, and so out of curiosity I'm wondering if either the photo is a fake or if there is a different set of rules for special forces guys????

& Before you ask - yes, lockdown has got me so bored I've actually logged into a forum to ask this, hahaha
They ARE allowed to wear beards, but the black cardboard card over the eyes is opticall .

Last edited:

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

QRK2

LE
They ARE allowed to wear beards, but the black cardboard card over the eyes is optional .

Dunno about beards but pies are obviously in fashion for the northern faction of the reserves.

fatboy1.jpg

I do recall, late ‘60s, quite a few black soldiers being excused shaving for medical reasons. They were getting razor bumps from ingrowing whiskers, which got nicked and resulted in infected sores.
The problem (which can affect anybody with tightly curled whiskers) was pragmatically solved by disciplinary rather than medical means: sufferers were told that they had x number of weeks for the problem to resolve, after which they would be administratively discharged.
Keep your razor sharp, shave with the grain, and the problem goes away.
The risk of infecting a razor nick is why you don’t shave in the jungle.
The ailment you try and describe is folicitis and can't ever be solved. I know I have it and was excused shaving forever but used to shave once or twice a week. You don't just get ingrowing hairs on your face they appear everywhere as a result of the ailment.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Bears grow wild all through the USA and Cannada. Bears are wonderful creatures. I used to have one visit my trailer and eat all the bird and squirrel food when I was in Montana. Since moving to Wyoming I have not seen one bear. :(
Do they suffer from folicitis?

Latest Threads