Bear Grylls?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mongoose9, May 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I like his show and he comes over as a nice guy but I am curious just what military qualifications (in the public domain) he claims to have.

3. Thanks P_J .
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Well apart from calling his son "Marmaduke" - he sounds like an alright guy.
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I wonder how many times he's had to say "No, Bear Grylls. G-R-Y-L-L-S. Bear Grylls. Not bear grease".
  6. I saw his "working in an austrailian goldmine" show, does anyone know if the military episode has been aired or will be aired?
    and who he is/was with etc?
  7. Think you are getting muddled up with Ben Anderson from World's Toughest Tribes
  8. I liked the 'escape to the legion' programme that he did a few years ago. Having worked with the Foreign Legion it was reasonably accurate.

The only other thing that I can remember him being in is one of those bloody awful films that the Army makes about the dangers of alcohol. He hung around at the back of a group of soldiers on the beer, whilst waiting for the inevitible booze related incident to take place. Not as patronising as I thought it would be.
  9. Caught a snippet of the idiot rappeling out of a helicopter onto the lava fields in Hawaii recently... changed the channel after a few minutes to watch that Deadliest Catch show as those fellows impress me.

Maybe it's just me but no matter the wacky things I did in the past, I aquired a sense of self preservation upon entering my 30's and have zero interest in making the wife a widow without a damned good reason.
  10. I have to respect any man who can recover from a broken back and do what he has done.

His latest exploit, only last week, was to fly above Everest in a sort of microlite thing. As one of Capt Blackadder's firing squad said, you've got to admire his balls.
  11. If Grylls and Mear's were in a Boozer and were getting lashed up on the Stella and a few Cheeky Vimto's for good measure and then started exchanging Verbal's such as "Oi Grylls i can start a Fire faster than you " and then it got a bit "Heated" so to speak,who do you reckon would win in a fight ?
  12. Bear would win, no contest. He's an ex Super Army Soldier
  13. Not if Ray ate him.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between Ray Mears and Clare Balding?
  14. Ah...I didn't realise that was him in the MATT6 video. Not too bad actually.

To be honest I feel that his programmes are extremely egocentric and very "tommy two shits" and all that. If you've been to Tenerife, he's been to Twelverife. If you've got a headache, he's had a tumour. Y'know all that "I was CO of the SAS when I was 22, climbed Mount Everest on a sports afternoon, landed on the moon in my gap year, studied to become a professor in my secret underground lair" etc. If he has actually done all the things he claims then fair play to the guy. But it does all seem rather walty and "look at me".

Posh bloke, posh name, far too much money and ego. Lucky fcuker. :x
  15. Good egg apparently, really is the flashing blade according to a bloke I knew once