Bear Grylls-watch UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by crabtastic, Aug 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lol what a tool.

I had my suspicions at the time though. His camera crew no doubt kipped somewhere comfy so would he really choose to rough it under some rock?

Besides he always looked very moisturised and had barely a 5 o'clock shadow on his face for someone roughing it in the world's most inhospitable terrain.

2. Oh what, it was one big joke? 8O

3. This guy is much better.

You can watch the entire first season on youtube, I like him because he's a bit of an amatuer, he makes a fair few mistakes, and more importantly, he doesn't cheat.

He's a bit of an oddball.

4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I heard they diverted power from a nearby aluminium smelter plant to heat the river then coated all the sharp rocks in rubber?

Nice ad for the Septic version, Survivorman. I expect they had Carribou film the tracking shots in this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9DHMprUWkQ

clever those Carribou.

calm down dear. Its only television

5. At the start he has a camera crew who then leave him.

when he's on his own he leaves the camera on a tripod and goes back for it later in stages, one episode he was exhausted and had to leave his camera all together for the crew to recover.

He's Canadian, not a yank.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Sorry, then he's a Canuk making a few quid out of getting cold, wet and scorched to make harmless TV, rather than a Septic making a few quid out of getting cold, wet and scorched to make harmless TV.

Now Bear might have faked it, making harmless TV, But he's a fucking Brit making a few quid out of getting cold, wet and scorched to make harmless TV.

So its Bear 1, fucking foreigners nul in my book.

Silly name, dodgy haircut, silly accent, but he's one of ours.

7. I'm just jugding the 2 purely on entertainment value alone.

I respect bear, but I can't watch him, the shouty excitable public school boy jumping around like an action hero and doing wildly unrealistic stuff doesn't appeal to me.

Survivorman, just gets dropped off somewhere, usually stays in the same place (unless he needs to hike for water or as part of the challenge) and calmly goes about doing his personal admin, teaching real survival skills.

Watch a few episodes of survivorman, like I said the first series is available on youtube, and see what you think.

8. The same could be said of the Spice Girls.

9. Tried watching that survivorman the other night. Think he may be a squddie at heart cos all he does is sit there for a couple of days bitching about how frickin cold it is or how sunburnt hes going to get cos it's hot.

Then after a couple of days of sitting around he begrudgily gets off his backside to something.

Probably much more realistic but not nearly as entertaining and informative.

10. Talking of the Bear Gryls watch

have you not notcied he is the one talking about sqaudies on the alcohol and substance misuse video shown for matts training

11. Thats probably why I like it, reminds me of being in a harbour area and going about the tasks you need to do to look after yourself.

I'd says it's much more informative than bear, who drinks mosture from shit and piss and eats animals dead in the sun raw, it was a stroke of luck he didn't catch anything nasty.

12. Agreed. If I wanted to see that, I'd tune into Jackass or Dirty Sanchez- it's a lot funnier when they do it.

13. First rule of survival... don't get lost... situational awareness is a wonderfull thing. LOL!

Far as bear goes, I'm sure some doorknob is going to wander off from his broke down car out in Arizona somewhere and maybe, just maybe remember a tip from this show and use it to live long enough for the police to find and ticket him. ;)