Bear Grylls "Born Survivor" CH4 last night.

Did anyone see it, and if so, what did you think? I've just watched it on tape as I was out last night.
For the uninformed, its a new series which sees Bear parachuting into a different survival situation each week. This week he jumped into the Costa Rican jungle with just a waterbottle, knife and camera crew.
Obviously, its all a bit contrived, but it certainly beats Ant & Dec for Saturday night entertainment.

B

Bottleosmoke

I didnt but if it was anything like the series he did about foreign Legion training................God help us.

I thought it made hard viewing, as much as I'd like to say good stuff...it wasn't, it was cringe making, if he hadn't got the squits after eating berries it would have been a total loss IMO.

haven't seen it, but read a couple of his books and he seems like someone who tries hard but can come across as a bit waltish.

That doesn't make an awful lot of sense does it?

Issimondias said:
but can come across as a bit waltish.
I'm sure I don't know what you mean! :biggrin:

The bit I was quite surprised at was the climbing through the mangrove for three hours (with camera crew in tow) and then giving up and returning to the exact point that he moored his raft. Hmmm. Not sure about you but if I waded through mangrove for three hours with a camera crew in tow, and then returned to the exact point I started to find my still moored raft there, I would be a nav god. :meditate:

If taken for what it is, entertainment, I thought it was pretty good. Even with all the off screen support in the world, stunts like parachuting into the jungle canopy or climbing up and down waterfalls, are inherently hazardous. Grylls is an interesting character, granted, he's not publicity shy, but he does a lot of work for charity, including SSAFA, RNLI, DoE, Princes Trust etc .
Given the choice of watching Bear risk life and limb in various exotic locals, or the usual Saturday night televisual dross, its a no brainer.

according to his website he's planning to paraglide over Everest next month

comes across as a likeable guy on his TV appearances... but what a nutter :thumright:

Crazy_Legs said:
Issimondias said:
...can come across as a bit waltish.
Perhaps when you have passed selection you can accuse him of being a walt!!
He may have passed selection - but failed continuation. Was never badged.

Remember that everything he did last night was also done by the camera man and sound man - but they were usually walking backwards.

That's nails - surviving backwards.........

Crazy_Legs said:
Issimondias said:

Remember that everything he did last night was also done by the camera man and sound man - but they were usually walking backwards.

Lets face it, try he might hes not that good.

Ray Mears woudl need the water bottle and would have built a two story house with power shower and a team of monkey butlers in the time he had.

Augustus said:
Crazy_Legs said:
Issimondias said:

3 Years with 21 but never badged???

Also youngest brit to climb everest. Whatever you may think of his style and TV progs, you have to admit the guy is slightly more nails than the rest of us and not a little bit unnhinged!!

Crazy_Legs said:
Augustus said:
Crazy_Legs said:
Issimondias said:

3 Years with 21 but never badged???

Also youngest brit to climb everest. Whatever you may think of his style and TV progs, you have to admit the guy is slightly more nails than the rest of us and not a little bit unnhinged!!
Rest my case - 21 used to do hills at 3kph, not 4kph as for 22 and 23.

He broke his pelvis on his para course, and although he remained with the unit to my knowledge never completed it.

So his 3 years with the SAS were 'with' (as in Artists Rifles)and not 'in' (as in badged).

I am prepared to be corrected by somebody with a fuller understanding of this particular case - but that's what I think I know....

sandmanfez said:
If taken for what it is, entertainment, I thought it was pretty good. Even with all the off screen support in the world, stunts like parachuting into the jungle canopy or climbing up and down waterfalls, are inherently hazardous. Grylls is an interesting character, granted, he's not publicity shy, but he does a lot of work for charity, including SSAFA, RNLI, DoE, Princes Trust etc .
Given the choice of watching Bear risk life and limb in various exotic locals, or the usual Saturday night televisual dross, its a no brainer.
I support this view.
He's had some naughty injuries, fought back to full fitness and is prepared to support charities in the course of his ventures. Met him fleetingly when at D of Y. A bit tennis racquet and louche appearance for my taste. I hope that he never meets 'Raaffeeee Trumpton-Fines' and therefore avoids being persuaded to write questionable tomes in order to finance said ventures.
It's a perishable commodity these days. I believe that when a few of you out there put together your 'corporate inspirational talks' following your experiences of tourS on Telic and Herrick, backlooping out of a Huey or climbing a waterfall will seem very 'Sloan Ranger'. For the time being though.....

I am TA but work for a big UK-German fork lift truck Company Linde used to be (Lansing linde) if you didnt recognise the name.

not long before i joined the company the had a big sales conference down the docklands of London Town somewere & he was the motervational speaker. all the lads at my site who was there spoke very very highly of him.