Bear Grylls "Born Survivor" CH4 last night.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by sandmanfez, Mar 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anyone see it, and if so, what did you think? I've just watched it on tape as I was out last night.
    For the uninformed, its a new series which sees Bear parachuting into a different survival situation each week. This week he jumped into the Costa Rican jungle with just a waterbottle, knife and camera crew.
    Obviously, its all a bit contrived, but it certainly beats Ant & Dec for Saturday night entertainment.

2. I didnt but if it was anything like the series he did about foreign Legion training................God help us.

3. I thought it made hard viewing, as much as I'd like to say good stuff...it wasn't, it was cringe making, if he hadn't got the squits after eating berries it would have been a total loss IMO.

4. haven't seen it, but read a couple of his books and he seems like someone who tries hard but can come across as a bit waltish.

That doesn't make an awful lot of sense does it?

5. I'm sure I don't know what you mean! :biggrin:

[​IMG]

6. Absolutely classic Sandman, and bloody fast to boot!

7. The bit I was quite surprised at was the climbing through the mangrove for three hours (with camera crew in tow) and then giving up and returning to the exact point that he moored his raft. Hmmm. Not sure about you but if I waded through mangrove for three hours with a camera crew in tow, and then returned to the exact point I started to find my still moored raft there, I would be a nav god. :meditate:

8. I was a bit dissapointed with the programme. Maybe it will get better next week.

9. If taken for what it is, entertainment, I thought it was pretty good. Even with all the off screen support in the world, stunts like parachuting into the jungle canopy or climbing up and down waterfalls, are inherently hazardous. Grylls is an interesting character, granted, he's not publicity shy, but he does a lot of work for charity, including SSAFA, RNLI, DoE, Princes Trust etc .
    Given the choice of watching Bear risk life and limb in various exotic locals, or the usual Saturday night televisual dross, its a no brainer.

10. Perhaps when you have passed selection you can accuse him of being a walt!!

11. according to his website he's planning to paraglide over Everest next month

comes across as a likeable guy on his TV appearances... but what a nutter :thumright:

12. He may have passed selection - but failed continuation. Was never badged.

Remember that everything he did last night was also done by the camera man and sound man - but they were usually walking backwards.

That's nails - surviving backwards.........

13. He may have passed selection - but failed continuation. Was never badged.

Remember that everything he did last night was also done by the camera man and sound man - but they were usually walking backwards.

That's nails - surviving backwards.........

14. Lets face it, try he might hes not that good.

Ray Mears woudl need the water bottle and would have built a two story house with power shower and a team of monkey butlers in the time he had.

15. 3 Years with 21 but never badged???

Also youngest brit to climb everest. Whatever you may think of his style and TV progs, you have to admit the guy is slightly more nails than the rest of us and not a little bit unnhinged!!