Bear defense

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Dec 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

All this talk about what calibre to take on the piggies with seems now aa tad over the top. When faced with this;
    It seems all thats needed is a firm word. I'm seriously considering selling the magnums and slug guns and investing in a speak firmly like a Canuck course.

2. I believe you have a duff link.

3. When walking in bear country, was advised by a local to whistle, sing or tie bells to my boots, let them know you're there so they can slope off into cover as they generally prefer. Unless starving, he said, they only attack if startled or if you get between a sow and her cubs.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

That should sodding well work!

5. This should, in theory, do the trick

[​IMG]

Product: Model S&W500

(could try beating a very p1ssed off large Ursine to death with it, but on the whole best to save the last round for yourself.)

6. seen it before but still makes oi larf

7. So visiting Morris Dancers should be OK then?

8. Adv Trg in Canada, wore a little bell on the bergan and had no probs. On encounter with a bear cub, we sang the National Anthem which fcuked it off nicely (bit of a risk had the mum been behind). I don't think it is a problem if you aren't blase about it.

Obviously if you are hunting bear and it goes pete tong, you should immediatly take the bear on, mano et mano. Its what the Indians would have done.

9. Sadly, yes.

10. IIRC Ray Mears used to tell a story about when he spoke to a Canadian woodsman about the threat from bears many years ago. The woodsman was one of the most experienced at working in bear country and said that simply avoiding the bears was the best bet. Ray then said that he'd been told by another guy that a high powered handgun was the most effective defence against a bear.

The woodsman considered this for a moment and said that it might work but, just to be on the safe side you should file the foresight off the gun.

Ray Mears asked why.

The woodsman replied so that it wouldn't hurt so much when the bear shoved the gun up your arrse!

:)

Rodney2q

11. Made oi larf two.

12. Having fired two boxes of these the other day, I can vouch for the fact that my shoulder both knew about it, and regretted it!

For a bear, it might be better to go with something with less expansion...possibly the similar copper-solid round.

Forget Ray Mears for bear advice - John Candy is the man!

big bear, big big bear!