Beans and??.......what goes with beans and is quick?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gobbyidiot, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You've got next to no time, you're starving, beans and toast is the cornerstone, what can reasonably be whacked in?

Obviously it goes without saying that a bit of cheese thrown in and melted through improves things enormously - they're easy, and they're cheesy, they are cheesy beans.

But tinned tuna? Massively ups the protein but there's something just not right. It doesn't taste bad, but......

A 100g of corned beef on the other hand melts down and beefies things up massively.

Scrambling an egg or two through the bubbling beans? I've started chucking in a tin of beans, splodge of plain yoghurt, squirt of tomato puree, splash of water, black pepper, chopped onion, get it bubbling violently and crack in an egg or two. Whisk them round and give it a couple of minutes, perhaps chuck in a chopped and cooked spud from the night before at the last minute and just heat it through.........Not bad and seriously filling.

Cold cottage cheese on top of hot beans kinda goes as well.

Suggestions for bean cuisine?
  2. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Smoked sausage, sliced and stirred through the beans. Adds a lovely meaty flavour and is very quick.
  3. Beans on toast with a fried egg on top is always good with me
  4. Some curry paste or reggae reggae sauce stirred in, along with some chopped bacon bits.
  5. Curry or chilli powder/sauce. And enjoy.
  6. The husband does summert similar, he chops up two pepperami wide boys, and chucks em in, quite nice.

Personally i like veggies so i chuck peas and sweetcorn in and a tin of plum tomatoes, or just plum tomatoes and beans on toast with poached eggs on top!

I chopped up some pre cooked fish fingers and stuck them in beans once, dont ask me what it tasted like I was too drunk at the time to care.

Oh and dad put pork scratchings in once....random.
  7. Chop up an onion and fry it in a saucepan with a bit of oil. When it's nice and brown, throw in a packet of powdered tatties and add hot water. Stir a bit, then add the beans and heat up with a dash or two of Worcester. Serve on hot Holy Ghost. Luscious!

8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Kidney beans, normal beans (obviously), chilli powder, corned beef, instant mashed potato.
  9. Half a bottle of Tabasco sauce helps with anything!!
  10. Our mess makes our food to order and the current hangover cure favorite is, toast then cheese, then crispy bacon, then beans (cooked until there's not much sauce left), then more crispy bacon then cheese put under the grill untill cheese is bubbly.
  11. Two teaspoons of English mustard.
  12. -Fried potatoes and onions

-Eggs / Sausages (anything you could do for breakfast)

-Tuna and cheese....

-Mash and Cheese

That's all I can think of so far!

T C
  13. A few rashers of bacon fried in a deep teflon frying pan, throw the beans in afterwards to warm through, then pour the lot over hot buttered toast, served with a gallon of HP.
  14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Lidl do ready sliced Kebab meat,handful of that in the micro,minute & half on high,bung in the beans,add chili sauce,bung onto Nann bread,instant kebab!
  15. i have to aggree there, definately reggae reggae sauce, i use it when mixing eggs for an ommelette