Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bean counter in an NHS organisation

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
I work in a community health trust. Have to say it's weird working from home, with my broadband being used for work, my missus work and the kid's netflix. I'm not managing anywhere near my hours, due to IT issues and needing breaks working off my kitchen table but being left alone means I am still producing the same amount of work. In any corporate setting, there always seems to be people who create more work than what they do. Those people strangely seem to have disappeared now and are keeping a low profile.

Got to the point where I have had a phone call from a board member, asking me more about what I did in the army (he was shit out of luck) and what I did as an auxiliary nurse (I was shit out of luck) as I did this just after leaving the army.

The vibe seems in 2 weeks it's going to enter the beginning of the peak. I appreciate this isn't real news to many, but I am starting to get cabin fever, so bear with me.

I guess, once the financial reporting is out of the way for year end, I'll be going out on the wards, as one of the most expensive auxiliary nurses in the Trust.

Keep safe everyone and hopefully I won't be meeting anyone here soon.

If you having cabin fever now, being on ARRSE is just going to send you nuts.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I work in a community health trust. Have to say it's weird working from home, with my broadband being used for work, my missus work and the kid's netflix. I'm not managing anywhere near my hours, due to IT issues and needing breaks working off my kitchen table but being left alone means I am still producing the same amount of work. In any corporate setting, there always seems to be people who create more work than what they do. Those people strangely seem to have disappeared now and are keeping a low profile.

Got to the point where I have had a phone call from a board member, asking me more about what I did in the army (he was shit out of luck) and what I did as an auxiliary nurse (I was shit out of luck) as I did this just after leaving the army.

The vibe seems in 2 weeks it's going to enter the beginning of the peak. I appreciate this isn't real news to many, but I am starting to get cabin fever, so bear with me.

I guess, once the financial reporting is out of the way for year end, I'll be going out on the wards, as one of the most expensive auxiliary nurses in the Trust.

I bet I'll top you as an overpaid nurse.

You're a dentist and going out on the wards? Seems a bit of a waste, but yeah, that tops me.
He’ll just turn up, wander around then ask everyone to go back outside to a waiting room for a bit.

Good luck with the cabin fever. I suspect that "people who create more work than what they do. Those people strangely seem to have disappeared now and are keeping a low profile."

Post pandemic and when the nation has to dig deep in their pockets will be asking much the same question. its going to be and End Ex wash-up report to end all wash-up reports.

I also suspect that many of the front line staff are going to first in line wanting answers.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You're a dentist and going out on the wards? Seems a bit of a waste, but yeah, that tops me.

Not a ward but a virus assessment centre.

The current mrs_mush has been totally working from home for the last three weeks. Her company closed all the offices and sent everyone home. She used to work just a day a week at home and was mega productive on those days, No disturbances, just left to get on with the job.

Now that everyone is working from home her productivity has plummeted. The reason being that everyone now has to set up a 1 hr conf call, MS Teams, or zoom meeting anytime they need to discuss something. What would have been sorted out over a coffee in the office in 10 mins takes an hour of everyone's time one they've waited for everyone to sort their shit out and get online. Plus the fact that even if they do get the issue resolved in under the allotted hour, people want to stay on the call and have a chat about how everyone is getting on, catch up on the gossip etc. Again something that's be 5 mins in the kitchen at work.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The current mrs_mush has been totally working from home for the last three weeks. Her company closed all the offices and sent everyone home. She used to work just a day a week at home and was mega productive on those days, No disturbances, just left to get on with the job.

Now that everyone is working from home her productivity has plummeted. The reason being that everyone now has to set up a 1 hr conf call, MS Teams, or zoom meeting anytime they need to discuss something. What would have been sorted out over a coffee in the office in 10 mins takes an hour of everyone's time one they've waited for everyone to sort their shit out and get online. Plus the fact that even if they do get the issue resolved in under the allotted hour, people want to stay on the call and have a chat about how everyone is getting on, catch up on the gossip etc. Again something that's be 5 mins in the kitchen at work.

I have avoided all such conference apps and messaging groups and stuck to emails

Amazing how little I have been disturbed!

Don't worry, @Gamer 69 . You can count on me to provide all the moral support you need.

Dr Death

War Hero
People are needed with all types of transferable skills within the NHS.
You might be clerical grade but now anyone who is first aid trained will get involved in some way.
Some NHS Trusts working at 110% capacity so its all hands on deck to help.

Stay safe.

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
SWMBO works from home quite a lot but also runs a charity for older people which meets 3-4 times per week. Needless to say, all meetings are cancelled.

So far we have gone through 6x printer cartridges, a ream of paper, a box of labels, 2 packs of evvelopes and £80 worth of 2nd class stamps plus various other sundries.

Old people don't do email.

Soon we will be stuffed as Ryman is now closed.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
People are needed with all types of transferable skills within the NHS.
You might be clerical grade but now anyone who is first aid trained will get involved in some way.
Some NHS Trusts working at 110% capacity so its all hands on deck to help.

Stay safe.

Apparently (as of today) I have been stood down from DCC as in theory I can do 100% of my job at home instead of say, a receptionist in Outpatients (which are now temporarily closing if non urgent). IT is under pressure, so they are now looking for anyone with any technical skill who knows the systems to potentially be on call (turn it on, turn it off again). Failing that, there is also a requirement to phone known vulnerable adults to ensure they are okay, so these bodies have to come from somewhere.

I am flexible, I've given them my background (Auxiliary Nurse, yes it was 10 years ago, but I did it for 4 years all on trauma). I get that's it's hard to see who is safe working on the ward and there is a risk associated with 'rusty' staff.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apparently (as of today) I have been stood down from DCC as in theory I can do 100% of my job at home instead of say, a receptionist in Outpatients (which are now temporarily closing if non urgent). IT is under pressure, so they are now looking for anyone with any technical skill who knows the systems to potentially be on call (turn it on, turn it off again). Failing that, there is also a requirement to phone known vulnerable adults to ensure they are okay, so these bodies have to come from somewhere.

I am flexible, I've given them my background (Auxiliary Nurse, yes it was 10 years ago, but I did it for 4 years all on trauma). I get that's it's hard to see who is safe working on the ward and there is a risk associated with 'rusty' staff.

With ourselves, what is happening is a system of buddy nurses.
Instead of 2 registered nurses working together.
It will be 1 registered and someone else such as dental nurse, registered nurse without recent ward skills, or even clerical staff.

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
With ourselves, what is happening is a system of buddy nurses.
Instead of 2 registered nurses working together.
It will be 1 registered and someone else such as dental nurse, registered nurse without recent ward skills, or even clerical staff.

Is that ICU? I've always worked on a 26 bedded ward -2/3 trained nurses, 3 auxiliaries (exact staffing mix dependent on shift)

You need hard and fast rules for Teams/Zoom, meetings start when scheduled and don't go for more than 15 minutes - if you're using Teams a group chat or call is good enough - needs admin to control creation of chat groups though otherwise the feckers go banzai.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is that ICU? I've always worked on a 26 bedded ward -2/3 trained nurses, 3 auxiliaries (exact staffing mix dependent on shift)

We have two treatment centres (also optimistically unofficially called palliative centres). Set up as wards, Red and Green zones.
Only fulled trained staff in the red zone.

And then 14 Assessment centres.
Initial contact is by phone, if mild not to self care.
If other health issues, then appointment at assessment centre.
Seen by GP, and nurses

Currently all staff who are not registered nurses are working in assessment centres.

But plans may change depending upon patient numbers and staff casualties.

Latest Threads