Beamish Museum

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vinniethemanxcat, Dec 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Beamish, The Living Museum of the North

Had an old mate from Manchester visit over the weekend, he'd never been so we took him on Saturday.

Things have changed a lot since we were there last, they've been very busy creating new buildings, lot's more places to eat or grab a snack.

Not cheap for a single visit, but for £17.50, or £13 for over 60's, or £10 for kids, you get unlimited entrance for a year, so you can go for a couple of hours and just "do" one section, instead of trying to see it all in a day.

We all agreed it was a cracking day and the ale in the pub was spot on.

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

It is a cracking day out. Have the idle bastards restored that steam shovel I donated yonks ago? It was rotting away up the top end last time I looked. But I do not look that often. Beamish Museum. 664. The Neighbour of the Beast. ******* Sunderland. If there is a wind off of the sea the smell of Makem Dummies makes me puke.

Makem Dummy.jpg

3. I seem to recall a pub circa 1st world war, unfortunately though the prices weren't AND they allowed the memsahib in. Not as realistic as I hoped!

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I liked the old dentist bit. Where the old dentist told how Victorian fathers would pay to have all their daughters teeth pulled out and wooden ones made. On the eve of her marriage. Because it would save the new husband a fortune in dentist bills.

Posh Bird spotted me looking at her and raising an eyebrow. Hey, two broken ribs is a small price to pay.

• Like Like x 1

5. Why gan ta the expense of the dentist?

A few bornt teas and wor lass waddn't hev enny teeth left anyways........

6. Mik

Mik

Used to go to beamish when i was younger, quality place to go

7. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

I adore Beamish. It has life about it. The year-long ticket really is a bargain. I often just pop in if I'm back from RVI or the Freeman early. The staff are knowledgeable and very patient. How the tram drivers cope with the kids I will never know. I would have one dragged around the circuit on a rope as an example to the others.

8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the teeth thing was common right up until the nhs was founded

9. Yeah..... because dental treatment on the NHS is soooo readily available....... and cheap.