Beagle - waste of time and money?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by boney_m, Dec 25, 2003.

1. No, it gives us valuable information for our future

2. Yes, the costs and failure rates are too high

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, another British space probe has thrown a track.

Do you think space exploration is worth the huge costs, and provides us with important information or would the money be better spent on hospitals and schools?
  2. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

or we could put the cash into the defense budget and have a pay rise...
  3. When did the Royal Armoured Corps take over the space program :?:
    I am well out of date 8O

I think we are so far behind as a major space program contributor we should accept our role as "good team players" and use the cash elsewhere.Military and as you say hospitals and schools.
  4. Wait until later tonight, I suspect it might just come to life all of a sudden.......
  5. I hear what your saying there Shotgun, we should know around 10pm. But according to the online coverage a specially recorded track by Blur is being sent out to inform the space agency that it has arrived safely. Considering how Blur's career has gone over the last couple of years i will remain sceptical :wink:
  6. Shotgun - just noticed your avatar. Nice one. Had me chuckling anyway!
  7. Worth the money if it beats the spams.
  8. They've put a man on the moon, we've currently stacked half a billion into mars - emmmm
  9. half a billion? Don't just make up figures, the beagle and its mission cost nowhere near that much, spanker.
  10. I was quoting something i heard on sky, sorry i have no evidence of its validity. No need to get personal Maddog - serious thread, and i really dont understand the term "spanker"
  11. personal? You would call what i said personal?

'It's a far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Isn't it? Mmmmm. Marvellous.'
  12. I would say your calling of names is personal, your oppinion on the thread is always valid
  13. I think the reason he thinks you're a bit silly is because the whole Beagle 2 project cost around 35million, and not half a billion, and it was all private money.
  14. I see that Shotgun (and respect to your avatar by the way), according to yahoo news the cost of the beagal project was 100 million, and there was an "expert" on sky news tonight saying that we had put 600 million into space research within the last 10 years.

I admit that my post was misleeding, and i retract it - but at the very least we have ploughed 100 million into the face of mars, can you think of a better way to spend that money? I know i can ( apart from the stella fest and cheap women :wink: )
  15. Not really up to us, as most of it was private money. It cost a total of £40 million, £6 million being from the government and the rest from private investors. £6 million will not solve bugger all, but the Mars mission was a good idea, and still is, that is the reason why we are racing the USA for it.

Name calling, what a lark.