Beachly Boys and Now

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by Dickieb, Oct 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if it's still possible to walk across the severn bridge via the mesh walkway underslung beneath the main support cables ! or do a tarzan from the bridge into the old camp or even scale the pylon on beachly point and leave your girlfriend's knickers flying from the highest point. What ever happened to AAC Chepstow and Rossiter ?

2. It's been extensively remodelled.. :lol:

Cuddon Coy's / 87 Sqn's Block held out a good fight as last of the original blocks standing, but eventually gave in to the Dozer. :cry:

*sighs*

All that bloody floor 'bumpering' for nowt, eh!

3. I think I might have missed that ( 87 Coy ). J Coy and A,B and C (65C) had all the new singing and dancing brick built blocks and the old wooden spiders that were left were used by the Woman's volunteer corps thingy and used for the Bandsmen who disappeared in the evenings to wear kilts and play with Octopusses. But yes, those bumbers were heavy bustards.

We were the last intake ( I think ) to wear the old Battle ( Hairy, scratchy,itch ) dress ( the shirts remained for some time after that )and went over the moon when No2 Dress was introduced only to find that your waist belt was raised to just below your sternum and the collar studs still stuck in your feckin neck and you shouldn't have used soap on the inside of trouser leg to get creases that could cut your balls off.

I wondered - when will get to play with a real gun like the big boys did in senior group and fix bayonets in a sleek silky movement - until it clattered on the parade square and some horrible man with a red face would question your parentage - the cheeky b*stard.

4. KF Shirt? We had those still in the late 80's.. Still got mine on my 1157 too. That should cause enough havoc when I dekit in 5 years time.. :D

Bedblocks and Bloomin big bumpers

They even give em DUVETS and decent Hoovers now!!

I do miss 'Chep' though. Good times.

5. Had a fantastic time at Chepstow ,went there to do my A2 wood butchers cse as chatham was full or some thing :?
    it was great all the little girlie's in the town after new grown up boys , even had sort of permission to have a quiet word with some of the local chaps , who had been having fun with the apprentices for all those years

6. I was one of the apprentices the locals used to "welcome", It was nice to see some big grown up squaddies take over the town.

7. i was still wearing my KF shirt in 1993, i remember my first Sqn parade on my arrival at 24 Fd Sqn and the new Troopie asked me if i was wearing a regulation issue Army shirt, after asking him to repeat the question and many giggles from the Troop, the Staffie moved him on. :):) this still brings a smile to my face all these years on.

Sparky

8. still have one left in the attic, loved hairy shirts because you only had to iron the cnuting things once a week.

9. hairy shirts!! mmm almost translucent it was ironed that many times, and along with two-tone lightwieghts the sign of a well-dressed man about town

10. Spartacus - We too had our ups and downs with the local intelligence of the Chepstow youth, they really did get f*cked on more than one occasion after they had decided to beat some poor sod up from J Coy only to find to their horror that Chepstow ( in the 60 somethings ) was ideal ambush country and they were trapped between three advancing groups of AT's pent on revenge and them ( the local heros ) running into the nearest pub ( The Green Dragon ) didn't stop them getting a good reminder of where their balls originated from in their body. A few glasses did get broken at the bar in the ensuing melee and the local sub culture became quite educated on what happens to someone who takes on a hornets nest of frustrated young soldiers who couldn't drink at all hours and were missing feminine company. The RMP got the hump as well but f*ck em, they were outnumbered. Oh the Joy of it.

11. Where's Rossiter
    We were marching along one day and Rossiter took the hump and said something like "bloody tradesmen, think you're so good - well I've got a trade". What's that Sergeant Major ? "I'm a B2 Machine gunner" !!!
    Some time later he left but I understood he had a job lined up in charge
    of security at Bulmers Cider factory.
    Now for the strange part.
    Some years ago, Colin W, who organises reunions and the like rings me and says he bumped into Rossiter and he was living near to him. So I looked him up in the phone book, got his address and sent him a short note asking if it was our Rossiter, pointing out that he'd been up the jungle in Malaya at 18, was in the CG's, was a sergeant major, had been at Sandhurst etc and retired.
    I got a nice handwritten reply saying yes my name is Rossiter, yes I've been up the jungle, was in the CG's, was a sergeant major, had been at Sandhurst etc and retired. Here's my pictiure in this magazine -- but I don't know or have ever heard of your man!!

12. I remember CSM Rossiter well .... Coldstream Guards, liked the gee gees up at Chepstow Racecourse. Often used to see his unmistakable figure on local TV when they televised the races from there.... he wasn't very happy when a group of 62A (Sgt Deveral's platoon, B Coy) won a goose in a local pub raffle. Live one, at that (but only for a few hours...., thanks to ACC Cookhouse..)