Beach landing

I think they lost another one in the recovery mission though.
On a tangent, there''s an excellent book called Corsairville, about one of the Empire Flying boats getting lost over Africa, putting down in a river, and ripping its hull out.
They beached it, and built a dam to get the water level high enough to fly it out once they'd fixed the aircraft.
Real Boys' Own meets African Queen!

9780140253481: Corsairville: The Lost Domain of the Flying Boat - AbeBooks - Graham Coster: 0140253483

The pilot must have been a stalwart fellow.

Or stalwalt.

Was he being chased by the USAF?

Last edited:
Off topic but I read yesterday that, aside from the first Japanese attempt on Wake Island, every beach landing/amphibious assault in WW2 succeeded. Can anyone refute this? (a lot of knowledge herabouts).

(obv Dieppe/St Nazaire etc were raids)?

Off topic but I read yesterday that, aside from the first Japanese attempt on Wake Island, every beach landing/amphibious assault in WW2 succeeded. Can anyone refute this? (a lot of knowledge herabouts).

(obv Dieppe/St Nazaire etc were raids)?
Maybe it depends how you define success? These are all off the D-Day beaches.
images-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

images.jpeg

Happens quite a bit at Pendine Sands imx and of course other beaches:

So there are no beaches or sandy places west of Suez? Really? You really are a moaner! I bet if it was about tanks you would be saying how great it is.
I think you're taking me rather more seriously on this one than I intended.

The beach is privately owned ............
We were driving a Sherman up and down the same beach last year .......got to 30mph but didn't take off .

RigPig

War Hero
We had a Herc bog down in a Shropshire airfield whilst doing rough strip landings. They had the Airframe Chief off my shift go and help with the recovery but ended up calling Crash and Smash from Abindon to assist getting it out with their airbag jacks.

I think getting a herc out of a muddy field can be done slower than one stuck on a beach with the tide coming in. I think TAC ATC used to go out and prod the ground to check firmness and control the beach / airstrip. Not sure what happened when we lost one in the balkans.

RP

Barra Airport only has a beach runway. Not sure what the fuss is here.

Are you sure?
Those first two photographs look like Valentines, which were never used in OVERLORD. Perhaps they were the remains of tanks that sank during the practices off the coast at Studland Bay?
No idea.I always believe what Google tells me.

NSP

LE
How does this work? Presumably the Herc doesn't just sound an airhorn out the window as it comes in, so does RAF police tip and close part of the beach? Civ Police?
"The plane, based at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, was on a routine training sortie, said an RAF spokesman."

So presumably as a routine training sortie it had prior planning and a load of bods from Chivenor were dicked to go and marshal the area, do a FOD sweep, keep kids and small pets well back, etc...

Latest Threads