Beach landing

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
How does this work? Presumably the Herc doesn't just sound an airhorn out the window as it comes in, so does RAF police tip and close part of the beach? Civ Police?

How does this work? Presumably the Herc doesn't just sound an airhorn out the window as it comes in, so does RAF police tip and close part of the beach? Civ Police?
We've had them fly low over our house.You feel the deep vibration before you see or hear them.The beach goers would have been well aware of its presence.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
We've had them fly low over our house.You feel the deep vibration before you see or hear them.The beach goers would have been well aware of its presence.
Especially when you've got 35,000KG of Fat Albert hurtling towards your windbreaker and deckchairs!

Giant Hercules transport plane lands at Devon beach

Someone just can't get over the fact we're not East of Suez any more.
So there are no beaches or sandy places west of Suez? Really? You really are a moaner! I bet if it was about tanks you would be saying how great it is.

Who in their right mind will be on the beach in January?

"The crew having realised there were no five star hotels on the beach promptly departed".
The Saunton Sands hotel is very nice.

Brize Norton is closed for runway resurfacing, that's why they do it.

Do these flights shut down on landing, or do a u-ey and take off again, keeping moving all the time?

We've all seen photos of Landrovers stuck up to axles in sand, I imagine if you bog an aircraft up to its belly it's a bit of a job to free it. But maybe not with several thousand HP of power in the donks.

I would think they'd have to at least come to a stop, if not shut down, to load/unload the cargo. Otherwise a tad hollow benefit of the training.

Obviously it works, I don't think I've seen a report of a marooned C130 on a beach. A couple in the Antarctic though :)

We were noisily driving the Bugatti...

1547132389190.jpeg

along Glen Kinglass when all of a sudden everything went dark and a black painted Hercules went over us at about 100ft. I managed to stay on the road but I bet the blighters were laughing like drains.