Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting wabbits.

I was going to suggest one of these ....

1654523017057.png

But for some obscure reason the OP wanted it caught alive so put one of these over the hole it uses ..

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a topic on hunting, it belongs in the hunting forum, not the Int Cell. You can still have a laugh in the appropriate forum.
Hmm. Given that the Spanish use the word conejo/conejito in the same way we use the child's name for a cat, you could make a case for moving it to the XXX Forum.

PS OP a quick touch of napalm, easily made according to an ex-RE mate, with two household ingredients, and solves cooking at the same time.

Apples,
and use apple cider vinegar on the trap to mask your own scent on it.

I use apple cider vinegar when BBQ’ing, its a bit sort of vinegary ……. Doesn’t it put them off?

When putting out critter traps of any kind I put on a pair of those extra thick surgical gloves mechanics wear. I then grub my gloved hands around in the dirt and rub with leaves to mask ‘oooman scent. Trap then gets rubbed over with dirt too before placing it - most factory produced items will have a fine layer of oil on them from their production.

I used one of these kind for removing a ground hog

D

Deleted 184863

I use apple cider vinegar when BBQ’ing, its a bit sort of vinegary ……. Doesn’t it put them off?

When putting out critter traps of any kind I put on a pair of those extra thick surgical gloves mechanics wear. I then grub my gloved hands around in the dirt and rub with leaves to mask ‘oooman scent. Trap then gets rubbed over with dirt too before placing it - most factory produced items will have a fine layer of oil on them from their production.

I used one of these kind for removing a ground hog

I don't have to trap rabbits, just assorted rodents. I do use apple cider vinegar to remove /mask my scent, which I have found to help. For me, ACV is basically free as I have my own apple trees. The baits I use sometimes include apples (for raccoons), and the ACV seems to help more than hinder. Other baits include nuts and seeds for other critters.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't have to trap rabbits, just assorted rodents. I do use apple cider vinegar to remove /mask my scent, which I have found to help. For me, ACV is basically free as I have my own apple trees. The baits I use sometimes include apples (for raccoons), and the ACV seems to help more than hinder. Other baits include nuts and seeds for other critters.

Chocolate for rodents. I had two seperate pest control blokes tell me that, one in the UK and the other in the USA. Worked for my rodents - used it as the bait in old fashioned rat traps.

I discovered that the rodent poison is in fact a dehydrator. I was informed of this after finding dead rats floating snout down in my pool after they had nibbled on the stuff. So I switched to traps.

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hmm. Given that the Spanish use the word conejo/conejito in the same way we use the child's name for a cat, you could make a case for moving it to the XXX Forum.

PS OP a quick touch of napalm, easily made according to an ex-RE mate, with two household ingredients, and solves cooking at the same time.
Good job we are not a Spanish speaking nation then, or that Spanish (and any other foreign language) is a no no on this site, otherwise where would it end? Zec? (Serbo Croat) etc. :-D

Dwarf

LE
Book Reviewer
Good job we are not a Spanish speaking nation then, or that Spanish (and any other foreign language) is a no no on this site, otherwise where would it end? Zec? (Serbo Croat) etc. :-D
Ah well. Enough of educating people.

Back to Geordie then. :-D

nightnurse

Old-Salt
Ring your local vet - somebody may have reported it missing or alternatively they will probably put you in touch with the nearest rabbit mad person who will come and catch it for you.
The drop box trap although it makes for good comedy actually isn't a bad idea - I have used one before and it worked quite well . For bait I used chopped up veggies, bit of apple and some dried porridge oats, always make sure there is a bowl of water - sometimes its the water rather than the food that brings them in. As already mentioned they do like soaked dried fruit or windfall apples especially if its fermented a bit (recognised poachers trick) - just depends on if you want it to survive afterwards or not.
Myself I love rabbit for preference deep fried in herby breadcrumbs or rabbit and ale stew with mashed potatoes , dumplings and lots of veggies

I can lend you a couple of miniature schnauzers if required I am sure that they would find Mr Rabbit. On the serious side of the house Mr Rabbit will not last very long the poor sod might as well carry a sign saying free meal hear. We had a couple of rabbits when the kids were young they got out and vanished only to be found a couple of days latter in small bits in a garden a couple of streets away. I had to fork out the five quid reward that the kids put up on the missing rabbits posters they put up.

Gently brown 6 slices of bread under a grill.
Fill the first 2 slices with ham, the second 2 slices with cheese and the third with corned beef and pickle.
Place the food under the terrace and wait.
This will not end well for the rabbit after it has eaten the offerings as mixing my toasties is deadly for them.
Flip me, how many years have you been waiting to use that one

D

Deleted 184863

Chocolate for rodents. I had two seperate pest control blokes tell me that, one in the UK and the other in the USA. Worked for my rodents - used it as the bait in old fashioned rat traps.

I discovered that the rodent poison is in fact a dehydrator. I was informed of this after finding dead rats floating snout down in my pool after they had nibbled on the stuff. So I switched to traps.
Thank you.
I find pecan nuts are great for squirrels. Walnuts are very good too, but pecans are cheap here.
Cheese, Possessed is fine for mice, or peanut butter.
Chipmunks are a pain, mostly because they only turn up in late Fall, and are basically stuffed and surrounded by their own seed stores, but I shall try chocolate on them next Fall. They are also the cleverest, in my experience, and can work out how to trip the traps without getting caught, so one has to double-bluff them.
Voles are troublesome too most of the year, as they have a lot of choice. However, in early winter, they'll eat anything.
I never use poison.
My biggest problem is the range of rodent sizes. I have to put the traps out and in every day or night, appropriate to the animal. If I leave them out, then something too big to be bothered by the small traps, or too small to trigger the big traps, will have the bait in the next 12 hours.

This winter, I am going to build some electronically triggered traps.

ETA: Voles - pumpkin seeds work - got the #$%^#@ !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads