Be the Best

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by incognito1982, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Everone;

Not that I'm hoping to go over old ground or posts covered elsewhere...

I'm hoping to get some tips on how to plan and prep for the AOSB. I'm at the latest possible age they will consider me, and if I pass everything first time, I will be going to Sandhurst in Jan 2011.

In order for me to do this, I need to sh!t hot at everything, I really want to shine through and demonstrate how dedicated I am do doing this going forward.

My concerns are, that I'm a 5"1 chick, I've never climbed a rope or a wall, I don't know much about reading maps, however, I'm a quick learner and I've changed my job to give me more free time to study towards this.

And just for those nasayers out there, I'm not looking to "get away with anything" based on my height or sex, I just want to know where to start, so that I can hold my own.

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. With your qualitys you will go far, carry weight, give it to someone else.
  3. All the information you could ever need is on this forum, just look in the search function and every question you have will have been asked before.

and good luck for your testing.
  4. What's a chick?

Actually, I know what a chick is, I just want to hear you say it; read you having typed it; read it having you typed it; read it having it been typed by you; oh, you know what I mean.
  5. Hey; thanks for thre quick response, not too sure what you mean there though, can you please explain?
  6. What's the 1982 in your username, DOB?
  7. Ok I've gone a bit cross eyed from the mess of words after "chick" :slow:
  8. Apologies, I was simply amused that you referred to yourself as a chick.
  9. hmmm. I'll use the term lady going forwards, hows that? :)
  10. 1. Read a selection of decent papers (online; no point wasting your money) and develop opinions on current affairs if you don't already possess them. Be able to look at a new situation, form a sensible opinion and communicate it to others fluently.

2. Work on the fitness. It's not the be-all and end-all, but it is important. Life is more than a 2.4km sprint, so find some hills and a map and go learn to walk and map-read.

3. Read through the archives; you'll find quite a few decent hints for leadership exercises etc. Plus a bit of utter shite, but you'll have to learn to weed out the bollocks at some point otherwise you'll be one of these gullible officers who ends up running around looking for a Pte. P. Nurse. or Sgt. Han-Jhob.

4. Have something interesting to talk about to break the ice; "Hi, I'm incognito1982 and last summer I solo-trekked to the South Pole for a bet before spending two months ending the bitter fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo and bringing the scourge of AIDS under control." That'll make you stand out ;)

5. Rope climbing's not too bad; it's mostly in the legs not the arms, and women tend to have nice legs ;)

6. Good luck, you sound like you've got drive and a good attitude. They're only looking for potential at AOSB, so give it your best effort and I'm sure you'll be fine.
  11. @ Bravo Zulu

Thanks for that, it was really really helpful. I'll head through the archives now and have a look around, although there is so much information, its confusing knowing what to take on board and what to laugh off!

I'm working along those lines you have recommended already, so I'll keep going and keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it. :)
  12. Incognito- if you're really worried about walls and ropes it's worth getting a bit of practice in. Find a wall, climb, repeat. Or take up rock-climbing, it works wonders for your overall strength. The girls' obstacles at Westbury aren't as high as the guys', but from the dizzy heights of 5'10 I could just reach over and pull myself up. Best of luck and hopefully see you in Jan 2011!
  13. Thanks for that Rock climbing is a great idea, I'll give it a go. Fingers Crossed I'll look out for a wombat in Jan :)
  14. When I was at Westbury it wasn't necessary to know about map reading or proper rope climbing technique - At Sandhurst you'll be treated as a complete novice so far as navigation goes. That said, failing the junior and senior navex's is a backterming event so any practice you can give yourself won't be wasted.

My own advice, in no particular order:

1: Get good all-round fitness. Other people are singing the praises of British Military Fitness, so why not give them a try? Otherwise, mix up steady-state runs with interval work and the usual pressups, situps etc. Don't break yourself.

2: Find out as much as you can about the army, what it's doing and what you want to do in it. Think about what leadership is, and why you want to be an officer rather than a soldier. Consider your own strengths and weaknesses.

3: Have an opinion on everything and be prepared to back it up.

4: As already mentioned, searching the forums for things like "planning exercise", "bleep test" and "command task" should yield information.

Good luck!