Bdr William McDougall

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by Jollygreenjacket, Mar 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My father-in-law, Bdr William McDougall (Billy Mac), sadly passed away peacefully on Sunday.

He served all his service (1970 to 1993) with 5th (Heavy) Regiment, firstly in Hildesheim and then Dortmund. His last posts within the unit were in the clothing stores and then the Families Office. He was your archetypal whisky fuelled jock and one of the kindest men I have ever met. On leaving he was employed as a dog handler with the Military Guard force on Kirkcudbright Ranges.

Anyway, the point of this is does anyone out there remember him and could pass on any anecdotes? I seem to remember him talking about 'P Battery' - was there such a thing? Not being a Gunner myself I would not have a clue, perhaps I heard 'B'.

2. Hi, I do remember you father-in-law - I served with him in HQ Battery, 5 Regt in Dortmund back in 1986.

I was a sprog at the time, but I do remember that his chums were "Killer" Killingbeck and the like.

Sorry but I don't have any anecdotes to offer - I went to Q Battery shortly after.

Deepest condolences to you and all of his family.

3. Thanks Chaz,

So was there a P Battery? I can find no reference to it among his bits and pieces, I just remember him talking about his time there.
  4. GunnersQuadrant

GunnersQuadrant LE Moderator

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Here is a link regarding P Battery

P Battery RA
  5. Sad news indeed.Knew him as did my bro-they were partners in crime on more than one occasion.
    You might like to post the sad news on the RAA site-the 5 Regt forum as thats where alot of Billy's mates lurk including killa.
    5Regt link
  6. Thanks for the above, lads. Will leave a message on the 5 Regt site.
  7. Billy Mac was a tough chap, one of the old school. During the early 80's I served with P Battery (The Dragon Troop) in Hildesheim. Billy was a stalwart during the set up phase of a Regimental move. Basically guns, support vehicles, fuel/ammo convoys, wierd R Sigs bods, MET Troops, INT Corps etc would come trundling in through some muddy, cold, wet allah forsaken place and be greeted with a brew and an egg banjo in a dimly lit 9*9 tent. Top Bloke. His closest mates - I'll tweak the names cos my memory is a tad iffy - were Skip Hopley, Tabs, Robbo Robinson, Pete Urqy, Chris Wriggers. Thoughts with the family at this time.
  8. Didn't know him, but sorry for you loss, souned a character
  9. Met Billy on many occassions during my 2 year attachment to the Special Op Troop of 5 Heavy.

Bloody nice bloke.
  10. Sandfly- I'll drink to that.