BCG Vaccination - is it routine?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Adjutant, Jul 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this in the Grauniad

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,,1832895,00.html

Now when I was a nipper, we all got marched into see the school Nurse to get the dreaded BCG into our left arm...

Is this still the case, or is it no longer routine in the UK?

Second question. If Tommy Atkins hasn't received a BCG vac, does the firm give him one?

And finally, what is the list of routine needles that we are all supposed to have. I'm sure its in the Med Centre somewhere but if there's some nice medic that can tell me, I'd be grateful.

Adjt

2. It was still common practise when I had mine done about 5 years ago at school. Saying that however, I don't recall my brother getting his, and that would have happened about 2 years ago.

I still remember it now, getting tricked into being the first in the year to get it done.
    "Hey, D_R, I'll go first if you come in second."
    "Second, yeah alright Josh.....(snigger snigger, I'm going to get to see Josh cry, snigger)."
    Door opens, nurse walks out.
    "Right who's first?"
    "....Erm, Josh?"
    Somehow Josh had managed to run through a line of 50 or so rather anxious looking teenagers in the time it took for the nurse to step out of the room and into the hallway.
    "Well come on, don't just stand there!"
    "But, but........Josh? Oh Bugger......"

3. JB, interesting Avatar, but why should we boycott Israeli goods? surely we should be boycotting Hisbollah supporting Lebanese (such as the supermarkets in Sierra Leone) as it was they who started the recent events and are wildly firing rockets into civilian locations and the septics for actually supplying Israel with the munitions that are being lobbed into Lebanon.
    apologies for going slightly off topic.

4. Filbert I've given an explanation on a thread in the Int Cell forum, here's part of it, for the rest follow the link.

"If I thought by buying Palestinian goods I was in some helping in the current slaughter I’d put an avatar up about that. But when was the last time you saw “made in Palestine” on the labels in your local supermarket? The truth is you won’t. As a people they have been systematically shafted for 50 years and the current violence will do nothing to tackle the fundamental causes of the conflict."

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=43300.html

5. Do you still buy products made in the US?

6. I tend not to but thats partly because so much of their stuff sh*t anyway, Coca Cola, McFatb*stards etc. I try to buy local produce, British, EU, New world (esp wines) and Fair Trade goods whenever there is a fair trade alternative. Saw American onions in the supermarket recently, now whats that all about, where are the UK ones? Tesco is now back on limits as the lovely Dame Shirely Porter sold up and ran away to Israel. They are most welcome to her.

7. Thank god that the British and EU arent supplying arms to Israel eh! :roll: