• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

BC, AD and the politically correct alternatives.

Stars attack BBC over politically correct 'drivel' - Telegraph

What the hell is all this PC drivel about. it now seems the 'Common era', which started around about the time that Jesus bloke was allegedly born, is to replace AD and Before Common era (BCE) is any time before that, which is funnily enough before the bloke called jesus was allegedly born. This will then not offend 'Non Christians', not that i give a toss about any of them but where does the PC bollocks stop?

If I was a muslim/jew/hindu/jedi I would be more offended at the arrogance of these people to presume that i would be offended by something as trivial as BC/AD. Some tosser who's never even spoken an ethnic minority (except to order a free trade skinny latte mochachino) is being paid thousands and thousand of pound to be an equality and diversity representative and managing to be more offensive than the smell of liberal shite coming out of their mouths.

Stars attack BBC over politically correct 'drivel' - Telegraph

What the hell is all this PC drivel about. it now seems the 'Common era', which started around about the time that Jesus bloke was allegedly born, is to replace AD and Before Common era (BCE) is any time before that, which is funnily enough before the bloke called jesus was allegedly born. This will then not offend 'Non Christians', not that i give a toss about any of them but where does the PC bollocks stop?

The Americans have been using it for ages, I've seen it in books (novels). So nothing new, just the BBC copying from the American cousins.

Why not number things 'BMFHCB' and 'AMFHCB', you know, Before/After Mohammed****ed His Child Bride...

Not new. BCE was around when I was studying archaeology in the early 90's. It's not uncommon and because it is synchronous with BC/AD a bit pointless - says a bit about the user. Our resident feminist-anthropologist was very fond of it.

Interestingly it used to be selectively applied - it works for C14 dating because that is always about a speculative date with a fudge factor. For tree ring dating that can often be about having very precise dates and therefore being able to date the wood to a couple of years or so, it makes sense to anchor that in the historical record, i.e to use BC/AD.

Got a cushion? These splinters are a bastard!
But seriously though, it winds me up that these tossers with a gash degree in community studies from a shit uni get paid my tax money to make bone rules to prevent someone who isn't offended in the first place getting uppity about something that is trivial at best.

now where did i put that brew?

Not new. BCE was around when I was studying archaeology in the early 90's. It's not uncommon and because it is synchronous with BC/AD a bit pointless - says a bit about the user. Our resident feminist-anthropologist was very fond of it.

Interestingly it used to be selectively applied - it works for C14 dating because that is always about a speculative date with a fudge factor. For tree ring dating that can often be about having very precise dates and therefore being able to date the wood to a couple of years or so, it makes sense to anchor that in the historical record, i.e to use BC/AD.
This, er, fudge factor - I take it your resident feminist-anthropologist wasn't so keen on that?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Which is worse, the Knobhead who dreams up this shit, or the knobhead who get outraged by said shit?
Without my daily Radio 4 "I cant BELIEVE it' moment I would probably turn off the alarm and go back to sleep and the economy would never recover.

Personally I prefer to predict things upon the birth of the Iranian prophet Zoraster who was born some time between 400BC and 3000BC. Thus 1942 becomes 2342AZ - 4942AZ. I refuse to use Common Era because although Jesus worked in the building trade he was well spoken, took care of his appearance, was good to his Mum and nothing in the Bible indicates that he was common.

Bugger I thought it was a sexual orientation thread, was about to post up lezzers and stuff. I couldn't give a toss one way or the other, time is ongoing so surely anything should be aged from the point in current time such as 5 years old, 100 years old 3000 years old, 63million years old.

Who gives a ****!.....Might be the time to invest in calander and diary making companies though! Might even get a second 'April's Fools Day' out of it too!

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No. She was no Alice Roberts, sadly.

Not that I know Alice's fudge preferences, but she looks the sort...
Now although that adds a frisson of excitement to fantasies with the now delicious image or Dr Roberts and Historian Kate Wiliams frolicking in the altogther for my sole delectation it does worry me if I have to stock up on chloroform to enjoy her myself.

But I digress the use of BCE and CE as alternatives to BC AD:

Common Era (sometimes Current Era or Christian Era),[SUP][1][/SUP] abbreviated as CE, is an alternative designation for the calendar era originally introduced by Dionysius Exiguus in the 6th century, traditionally identified with Anno Domini (abbreviated AD).[SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP][SUP][4][/SUP] Both systems are numerically equivalent, thus "2011 CE" corresponds with "2011 AD".
The expression "Common Era" can be found as early as 1708 in English,[SUP][5][/SUP] and traced back to Latin usage among European Christians to 1615, as vulgaris aerae,[SUP][6][/SUP] and to 1635 in English as Vulgar Era. At those times, the expressions were all used interchangeably with "Christian Era", and "vulgar" meant "not regal" rather than "crudely indecent". Use of the CE abbreviation was introduced by Jewish academics in the mid-19th century. Dates before the year 1 CE are indicated by the usage of BCE, short for "Before the Common Era". Since the later 20th century, usage of CE and BCE has been popularized in academic and scientific publications, and more generally by publishers emphasizing secularism or sensitivity to non-Christians.

The first so-far-discovered usage of "Christian Era" is as the Latin phrase aerae christianae on the title page of a 1584 theology book.[SUP][35][/SUP] In 1649, the Latin phrase æræ Christianæ appeared in the title of an English almanac.[SUP][36][/SUP] A 1652 ephemeris is the first instance so-far-found for English usage of "Christian Era".[SUP][37][/SUP]
Common Era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Awfully Politically Correct for the 16th Century doncha think? (yeah I know Common Era was used in the 19th Century)

I thought that from the glorious Year Zero in 1997 it was supposed to be BT/AT (Before & After Tony)?

Cool...if we change all the years around so as to cease to refer to the number of years since said beardy bloke was born (allegedly), I can go back to being 21 and you ******* can't prove otherwise....mwahahahahahahaah

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Canuck_Jock The NAAFI Bar 149
old chef Miscellaneous Jokes 56
Flash MacTavish Miscellaneous Jokes 0