BC, AD and the politically correct alternatives.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crimsonhussar, Sep 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stars attack BBC over politically correct 'drivel' - Telegraph

What the hell is all this PC drivel about. it now seems the 'Common era', which started around about the time that Jesus bloke was allegedly born, is to replace AD and Before Common era (BCE) is any time before that, which is funnily enough before the bloke called jesus was allegedly born. This will then not offend 'Non Christians', not that i give a toss about any of them but where does the PC bollocks stop?

2. If I was a muslim/jew/hindu/jedi I would be more offended at the arrogance of these people to presume that i would be offended by something as trivial as BC/AD. Some tosser who's never even spoken an ethnic minority (except to order a free trade skinny latte mochachino) is being paid thousands and thousand of pound to be an equality and diversity representative and managing to be more offensive than the smell of liberal shite coming out of their mouths.

• Like Like x 5
  3. kyle,don't sit on the fence mate!

4. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

**** me, we'll be championing the metric system next. You heard it here first.

5. The Americans have been using it for ages, I've seen it in books (novels). So nothing new, just the BBC copying from the American cousins.

6. And most of the senior BBC pundits like andrew Marr and John Humphries have said they're going to stick with BC and AD anyway.

7. Why not number things 'BMFHCB' and 'AMFHCB', you know, Before/After Mohammed****ed His Child Bride...

• Like Like x 6
  8. Not new. BCE was around when I was studying archaeology in the early 90's. It's not uncommon and because it is synchronous with BC/AD a bit pointless - says a bit about the user. Our resident feminist-anthropologist was very fond of it.

Interestingly it used to be selectively applied - it works for C14 dating because that is always about a speculative date with a fudge factor. For tree ring dating that can often be about having very precise dates and therefore being able to date the wood to a couple of years or so, it makes sense to anchor that in the historical record, i.e to use BC/AD.

9. Which is worse, the Knobhead who dreams up this shit, or the knobhead who get outraged by said shit?

10. Got a cushion? These splinters are a bastard!
    But seriously though, it winds me up that these tossers with a gash degree in community studies from a shit uni get paid my tax money to make bone rules to prevent someone who isn't offended in the first place getting uppity about something that is trivial at best.

now where did i put that brew?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

This, er, fudge factor - I take it your resident feminist-anthropologist wasn't so keen on that?

12. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Without my daily Radio 4 "I cant BELIEVE it' moment I would probably turn off the alarm and go back to sleep and the economy would never recover.

Personally I prefer to predict things upon the birth of the Iranian prophet Zoraster who was born some time between 400BC and 3000BC. Thus 1942 becomes 2342AZ - 4942AZ. I refuse to use Common Era because although Jesus worked in the building trade he was well spoken, took care of his appearance, was good to his Mum and nothing in the Bible indicates that he was common.

13. Well there was only 1 of him?

14. Bugger I thought it was a sexual orientation thread, was about to post up lezzers and stuff. I couldn't give a toss one way or the other, time is ongoing so surely anything should be aged from the point in current time such as 5 years old, 100 years old 3000 years old, 63million years old.

15. Who gives a ****!.....Might be the time to invest in calander and diary making companies though! Might even get a second 'April's Fools Day' out of it too!