BBC4 - World War Two: 1942 and Hitler's Soft Underbelly

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Goatman, Oct 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Churchill and the soft underbelly - the strategy to attack Europe through Italy ( or 'Tough Old Gut' as the magisterial World At War episode called it, quoting General Mark Clark)

BBC iPlayer - World War Two: 1942 and Hitler's Soft Underbelly

On now.....interesting on the cut and thrust between Churchill and the American generals charged with taking the war to Adolf.

Wide ranging programme.....but to me the complete absence of any mention of the Royal Navy's key role in enabling Montgomery's victory cf ABC, Taranto and Matapan and the tenth submarine flotilla based in Malta was sad.

...and the usual 1960s droning about how we all owe our freedom to the mighty Red Army - who marched into Germany wearing 19 million pairs of US rubber boots, most of them brought to them, along with tanks,aircraft and ammunition , by the Allied merchant marine, safeguarded all the way to Archangel and Murmansk .

Anyone else catch it ?

2. Yes a nice safe narrative history which didn't really break much new ground. Didn't mention the crucial decision to strip the WDF of men and material to help Greece which helped the Germans reverse the hard work done in OP COMPASS. For me the classic World At War series is still the best documentary on the Second World War, with the Desert War episode in particular being one of the best. Ultimately though no matter how hard you try, you are not going to be able to argue anything in depth in a one and a half hour documentary. Academic texts are still the best way to get your point across I feel.

3. I'd second that. WAW hasn't been topped. Although I do like the documentaries done in a drama style like dunkirk and the relief of belsen (think it was belsen)

4. Caught it, it didn't engage me, so I wrote shoite here instead