BBC4-The Shankhill Butchers: Mon 7 Nov 2011 2100

Watching this now & looks interesting

I was born and raised on the Shankill and was at Secondary School and living on the Shankill estate when the Butcher killings were happening. Believe me very few people if any bar themselves knew who the killers were, there was a feeling of fear within North and West Belfast.

My late father was in the Masonic and his Lodge met in the Masonic Hall next to Crumlin Rd prison, I remember sitting up late and waiting until he came home from his meeting and festive board because I was petrified of anything happening to him.

Scary times.

It's the first time I've heard it said that his own side passed Murphys whereabouts to the IRA so they could banjo him.

It's the first time I've heard it said that his own side passed Murphys whereabouts to the IRA so they could banjo him.
One of our blokes was seeing a chick on the Shankhill on the 89-91 tour. Her Dad wasn't impressed especially as the bloke was black. Got topped by the IRA in her house on the Shankhill. Apparently her Dad or one of his muckers passed the info to PIRA. So the RUC reckoned at any rate.

Not sure which is the more shocking, the murders themselves or the large turn out at the killers' funerals.

Did the shankhill butchers do those square sausages?

I used to love square sausages and soda bread. Really made the Irish Breakfast (which is pretty much the same as the Full English TBH) and white pudding.

Live by the sword.............
Sadly he didn't go the same way as his victims. I'd rather take a nice grouping to the face than go via a few hours torture and a slit throat.

One of our blokes was seeing a chick on the Shankhill on the 89-91 tour. Her Dad wasn't impressed especially as the bloke was black. Got topped by the IRA in her house on the Shankhill. Apparently her Dad or one of his muckers passed the info to PIRA. So the RUC reckoned at any rate.
Wrong, Private Tony Harrison he was killed in the east of the city and targeted by a taxi driver A taxi driver, Noel Thompson, who picked him up at Belfast airport and informed the IRA was later jailed for 12 years for conspiracy to murder. Nothing to do with the Shankill or the girlfriends father.

It's frightening to see that there's still a real level of animosity between catholic and protestant representatives even as they talk about events that unfolded 30 years ago. I'm not necessarily talking about the families, more the talking heads who were offering accounts or opinions.

Even Nolan seemed adamant that Jimmy Nesbitt and the RUC were allowing the killings to happen, which was a pretty intense acusation to level at the man's face.

That was doing the rounds years ago: depending on who you believe, the untimely and sudden death of Murphy was a result of a deal between PIRA and UVF, and with the tacit approval of the Peelers.

Allegedly.

Wrong, Private Tony Harrison he was killed in the east of the city and targeted by a taxi driver A taxi driver, Noel Thompson, who picked him up at Belfast airport and informed the IRA was later jailed for 12 years for conspiracy to murder. Nothing to do with the Shankill or the girlfriends father.
Didn't Marty MacGartland claim to have been the driver on that hit? FFS I'm going to have to google it now.

A good way to avoid the taint of fratricide whilst keeping your house in order. Murphy went from out-of-control psycho, competitor in the rackets and general liability, to 'martyred soldier' in an instant, whilst PIRA got another battle honour and were able temporarily to sate the appetite for blood of one of their own in-house psychos.

Everyone's a winner.

engr172

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
A bit before my time those lunatics, but I had heard of them and watched it last night. Bad gang of twisted fuckpigs by anyones book in my opinion. Pity a few of them weren't used and abused in the way they did to people.

There were a few 'exchanges of info' on both sides, usually based on the mis-appropriation of monies or sexual misdeeds. There's an expression used in NI and at one occassion used by 'Mo' Mowlem - "Every dog in the street"
Such is the intimacy and local knowledge of such instances, however, the RUC, endeavouring to establish the 'facts' to prosecute was a completely different affair.

I had the pleasure of having a few Bushmills while in the company of Joe Nesbitt, a very honourable, straightforward policeman. The circumstances that prevailed in those times, the confliction of agendas of the intelligence services, our military focus et al never made the investigating process that easy for such RUC officers as Joe.