Bbc4 sandhurst programme

Ah, the Sandhurst programme, episodes one and two are good...don't bother with three...unless your dad can also get you any job in the Army you fancy, otherwise it's more than a touch depresssing!

Mr Harbord...remember him?
Yes, rather my point. The series showed him being back termed for apparently being below par. It also showed the engaging Doris not getting into a Corps she aspired to, apparently because she didn't fit. Spot the apparent pattern, namely that adroit editing in the VT suite can create heroes and villains? If that's cause to scorn the programme then fair enough, I thought it was comical but weak to try and depict the Comdt as Clarence Emsworth.

If however the assertion is that the series is depressing because it vindicates a load of prejudices in its short span then I'd say that was naïf and chippy.

Yes, rather my point. The series showed him being back termed for apparently being below par. It also showed the engaging Doris not getting into a Corps she aspired to, apparently because she didn't fit. Spot the apparent pattern, namely that adroit editing in the VT suite can create heroes and villains? If that's cause to scorn the programme then fair enough, I thought it was comical but weak to try and depict the Comdt as Clarence Emsworth.

If however the assertion is that the series is depressing because it vindicates a load of prejudices in its short span then I'd say that was naïf and chippy.
How can it be chippy? It didn't show the Army in a good light and it was wrong that Mr Harbord didn't get flung out, wasn't it VM?

Genuine question. Have you been to or passed out of Sandhurst yet?
Nope, as VM says, I'm only 17 and so got a while yet before I try for a place. I am, however, concerned if there is that level of nepotism at Sandhurst, because then my chances of getting in will be very slim. I come from a non-military family and my parents are in no position to help my career along.

M

Mitch500

If it is any help I have been through half a dozen stringent selection processes in my adult working life. Whilst most seem to fulfill the aim there are always some square pegs who seem to somehow "get through." I think that is why the selection criteria needs to be so tough- to minimise that number. Generally speaking if you are good enough and genuinely committed, you will succeed.

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Nope, as VM says, I'm only 17 and so got a while yet before I try for a place. I am, however, concerned if there is that level of nepotism at Sandhurst, because then my chances of getting in will be very slim. I come from a non-military family and my parents are in no position to help my career along.
I'd give up then.

It's a good starting attitude you have so you wouldn't want to be the chap who aced into the Paras, now would you?

Latest Threads