BBC2 - When The Boys Came Home

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by A_Knocker_Till_The_End, Jun 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. did anyone else see this programme the other night regarding three "bill-oddies" & their time in & after Iraq :?: :?: :?: :?:

how could the army turn round & state that they did not owe a duty of care to the csgt that lost a leg because of a "blue on blue" incident involving "senior personnel" from his unit (Blaaaaack Watch), why :?: :?: :?: :?:

the young lad that was also involve in another "blue on blue" with challenger tanks seemed also to be horrnedously let down by the military after his injuries gave them the chance to MD the young lad, why :?: :?: :?: :?:

it strikes me that the after care for soldiers is getting worse so FFS do not get injured on an operational tour OR that will be the end for your career.

also apparent having watched the programme on C4 the other week as well.#

2. I didn't watch the programme so I can't give an informed view at the moment, I'll have to wait until it comes on BFBS. I take it all the guys are out of the service now and trying to rebuild their lives.

I've read numerous articles on this site arguing about more support and care for ex forces personnel whether injured or just leaving after their 22/35 years. It's a diffficult problem to resolve as some people will require more support than others.

What sort of support and after care should we get? The forces raise a huge amount of money for charities that someone has been affected by in one way or another. We also have the following:

British Legion
    Army Benevolent Fund
    Indiviual fund raising efforts (units, corps)

I wonder if the above couldn't be formed into a veterans association so funds could be better invested and greater spending power could be achieved.
  3. the lad from the challenger has had some help from his old unit BUT not the MOD itself, the way it was portrayed once the MOD had given them a MD that was that as far as they were concerned.............................NOT my opinion.
  4. Too right It is pretty sh1t how people have been thrown on the rubbish tip after injuries prevent them continuing thier chosen Job/Trade. OBoy Oboy what is going on with our Armed Forces. The powers that be are slowly turning thier backs on us all day by day. I for one am seriously reviewing my position after 15 years of service. Im getting fed up with the sh1t we all have to put up with by the powers that be!!!! and the D1CKS in the goverment.
  5. I am a pension prisoner now i am afraid to say, 3 years to go, but it is not through love of the jobb that i am still serving.

i am physically knackered but obviously nowhere near like as bad as those lads on the programme.

roll on 2009 :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
  6. The position has, in my respectful opinion, remained essentially unchanged since the end of the Napoleonic Wars and the Crimean War. Many of the older charities were formed to alleviate the suffering of former soldiers left with nothing but a medal and a pension left begging for relief on the streets of our cities. The MOD take the view that their duty of care extends only so far as the soldier is serving and thereafter it is organisations such as the NHS and the charities who exist to take up the slack.

The attitude and approach of Governments of all colours to the plight of ex servicemen has always been lamentable. Such an attitude was manifested in the treatment of those young men who were willfully and deliberately exposed to ionizing radiation in close proximity to Nuclear Blasts in the Pacific testing areas of the 1950s and then left to die years later of cancers and leukemia's who had to fight for a disability pension over many years while their numbers dwindled. Of those young men and women deliberately exposed to Sarin nerve-agent and other chemicals at Porton Down without their informed consent. Again left with damaged health, impoverished and without redress. Of those who returned in 1991 after the defeat of Iraq who were simply left to fight expensive legal battles over Gulf-War syndrome, and now those dispearsed anonymously out of public sight and out of public mind around the NHS system.

The Army has been deployed on operations much more extensively under the Blair Government since 1997 than under any other post-war government and the range and diversity of operations and the media attention they have received has thrown this issue in to sharper relief than has hitherto been the case.

I know we tend to engage in 'American-bashing' which I think for the most part, is just good-natured banter, but they tend to adopt a more caring approach to their veterans than do the British - we saw this, for example in the way in which our Government in Britain were embarrassed by the funding the Federal Government put in into research into Gulf War syndrome and the unselfish willingness by them to assist our own veterans who asked for it in the provision of blood-analysis, and other medical data. while our own Government continued to rely on the assertion of 'no evidence' in their unwillingness to discover it.

I suppose the major difference between us and the Americans is that they have and extremely strong bond with their Servicemen and their veterans. The Americans have, where it is necessary to effect it, far greater access to a legal system than do ours. It is, again in my view, the difference between being a 'Citizen' of a State and a 'Subject' of the Crown. The citizen enjoyed a mutuality on responsibility in a social contract with his state. A Subject of the Crown is simply a servant of the State who lives and dies as the State directs and it is this 'Subject status' that is clearly most manifestly observable in the examples of the treatment of our servicemen thus articulated.

Even though governments may refer to 'Subjects' as 'Citizens' that is merely the triumphant assertion of form over substance and does not reflect political and constitutional reality!

Such programmes, no matter how harrowing they are, will not, in the absence of any political impetus affect change - only the mobilization of a significant degree of public opinion translated into a political force can accomplish that.
  7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

There's also Combat Stress, a much undervalued and underfunded organisation.

In fact you could all help by bidding on the auction here.
  8. I worked with an American who was ex USAF and married a Brit and settled down in the UK. He had access to US medical services in the UK and also to the PX (or whatever it is called now). Brought it home to me when he needed both hips replaced, USAF flew him to Germany for the operation and then back to UK and supplied all his aftercare. This for a bloke who had been out for several years and who's medical needs had not as far as I am aware been caused by his service.