Was there a cover up?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Dont know

• Total voters
As we get nearer te end of the bstard's reign, more and more things are coming unravelled. Surely he cannot smirk his way out of challenging these freshly published allegations. If we can force that, the inquiry as to why we are in Iraq should be brought forward before we send any more to Afghanistan on some fudged up issue. And he wants American missiles based here! Yes, I'm all in favour. Site the silo up his arrse.

I don't normally go in for conspiracy theories but given that the Hutton Report was an utter white wash and blamed everyone else apart from the government over Kelly's death and the whole WMD issue I'll be watching this.

Be interesting to see who they blame. Seem to remember one theory was Iraqi agents being run by the French. But that idea was dismissed as a distraction created by the Americans who were concerned about Kelly's knowledge of Iraqi nuclear secrets.

Does seem rather handy to blame the French.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Here's a better ally hat theory:

The late Doctor Kelly was poised to debunk material provided by Israeli intelligence which he knew to be false, being used by both USA and our own Govt to underpin the arguments for going to war in Iraq

Mossad removed him, just like the inconvenient Dr Gerald Bull, blithely ignoring our own spooks of both denomination.

Yawn....Who's round is it?

Le Chevre

Ancient_Mariner said:
Goatman said:
Mossad removed him, just like the inconvenient Dr Gerald Bull,
If we asked them nicely, would they do John Prescott as well?
Probably not - his mates include Lords Levy, Goldsmith and Sainsbury, already.

As an aside, does anyone know if the Noble Donor Drayson is a 4x2?

Being on the other side of the planet, I would be obliged if somebody could post a 25 words or less synopsis for the programs conclusions.

Cheers in advance

AJ

Oh, so you think poor Tony is getting a hard time for his decision to publically name Kelly? A man who in the end was correct in his assessments of Iraqi lack of WMD. Problem is he didn't allow for the very same spinners to influence John Scarlett with his MI6 conclusions. Still I really am pleased that Scarlett has been rewarded for his efforts. And Tony will not take any responsibility-for anything, so I shouldn't worry too much O2.

Wija72 said:
If it does the Government will ensure spin covers anything up.[/quote]

It takes two to spin. One to send the spin and the other to accept it and respond according to the spinners intentions.
The public has to accept some blame for allowing the government to constantly do it. Loud expressions of outrage born from a concern for the truth would do for starters.

Interestingly the matter of spin came up in an excellent film about the history of Ping Pong tennis the other day. The programme had been following the careers of various world champions and the development of the game up to the fifties. Then something changed. Some guy in Japan who wasn't a particularly good player started beating all comers. The reason was he was using a newly developed bat. It was called the sponge bat. All you had to do was catch the ball with it and it would head the ball right back to where the bat user wanted it to go no matter what spin the first player had put on it!
Further more even though the receiving player had been unaffected by the spin the originating player got his own spin back and had to deal with it. Which of course screwed his game.
Maybe that's what we all have to develop in our heads. Mental versions of the sponge bat. It would save our sanity whilst driving to madness the b'satrds who try to spin us to begin with.

nigegilb said:
Oh, so you think poor Tony is getting a hard time for his decision to publically name Kelly? A man who in the end was correct in his assessments of Iraqi lack of WMD. Problem is he didn't allow for the very same spinners to influence John Scarlett with his MI6 conclusions. Still I really am pleased that Scarlett has been rewarded for his efforts. And Tony will not take any responsibility-for anything, so I shouldn't worry too much O2.
nigegilb, you've jumped to conclusions there. Like 99% of ARRSE'ers I hate Bliar and his Govt. I just hope the programme does not just fuel anti Bliar feelings and nothing else. Only thing I'm worried about is watching a non event programme.

nigegilb said:
Be interesting to see who they blame. Seem to remember one theory was Iraqi agents being run by the French. But that idea was dismissed as a distraction created by the Americans who were concerned about Kelly's knowledge of Iraqi nuclear secrets.

Does seem rather handy to blame the French.
We have been told that Dr Kelly was a man in know about Iraq's weapons. What Dr Kelly knew then so did the U.S. & the U.K. before the invasion. When they got to Baghdad the U.S. sealed the Oil Ministry building but didn't do anything about this:

http://ppidgeon.typepad.com/offthecuff/2004/10/bone_chilling.html

Why not?

frenchperson said:
There seem to be some unanswered questions remaining over this:

1. Little or no blood at the scene, according to paramedics
2. No inquest

Maybe the programme will impartially explain all tonight.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/conspiracy_files/6213898.stm
Dr David Kelly.

A fine man bullied to his death. He worked to make this world a safer place for the twelve years prior to his death. He remains in my mind a brave and proud man. He built good relationships with the countries he was called on to investigate. He was not a man used to dealing with bullying and torment-torment that was aimed at changing his views. Bullied to his death by cowards.

Murdered I don't think so- manslaughter- maybe. I am sure however that he was hounded to death by our cowardly government-because his views on Iraq did not align themselves with the war monger Blair and his partners in crime.

Dr kelly was not a bullshiiter he was clearly a proud man who could not understand why his government had turned on him. He may have been leaned on to change his scientific evidence to prove wmd did exist in Iraq.
Maybe that is why he ended his life-he did not want to change the facts and could not live with the constant and massive pressure being brought to bear by the leaders of his own country. Pressure designed to discredit his evidence that wmd did not infact exist at all.

I will be watching.

Having just watched the programme, I thought it made a far better case for the government bodging the investigation than for any foul play. The opinion of Dr Kelly's wife that he had committed suicide, for me, outweighed the opinions and uncorroborated allegations of others that he was murdered.

While I am not sure how significant it was, I was surprised that Chapman Pincher didn't figure in the programme. IIRC, Pincher - an investigative journalist with a track record of writing about intelligence matters - was a neighbour and personal friend of Dr Kelly. For reasons both professional and personal then, were there a strong case for acts sinister then I would have expected him to be on the case.

The treatment of Dr Kelly by his employers - quite probably under political pressure - and by grandstanding politicians in front of the cameras I thought reprehensible. It looked to me as if he was made an example of to deter other leaks by a government seeking to shore up the case for a controversial war. Having been treated shabbily in life, the absence of a conclusive inquest suggests he was treated shabbily in death too.

A good programme which was far more balanced than I expected.

It seems that a man who was a very highly regarded biological weapons expert, someone who through his investigations in Iraq forced Saddam to admit he had a biological weapons programme and was a point of reference and advice for our intelligence services was treated like a piece of shite because of his concerns over the dodgy dossier.

While I except Blair and his cronies would sell there own mothers to the devil, so would be keen to tear him to pieces, I'm angered that the MOD DID LITTLE OR NOTHING TO PROTECT HIM. :threaten:

When you add the sacking of two senior D.I.S. analysts who criticised the dossier , how are the MOD going to keep anyone of quality? :frustrated:

Then add to this sorry mess the elevation of an incompetent numpty like Scarlett ( read Nigel West's book on the heads of M.I.6 for more information) to the post of C because Tony thought he did a good job on the dodgy dossier and took a lot of the flak for it but stayed "Loyal" to Blair.

This all goes to show how spineless Blair is and how sleaze rules in this government. :frustrated:

Sorry for my little rant , its does look like, based on this programmes investigation that Dr Kelly did commit suicide but it would be interesting to see if Nick Cook liberal democrat M.P. discovers anything new and worthwhile.

Apologies for mong spelling and grammar
Ostvic

I have always believed that Dr David Kelly was bullied to death.
Having just watched the conspiracy files it does seem that he took his own life.
If the intelligence services wanted him dead then it would make far more sense to send him to Iraq on 'one last mission'-intercepting his e-mails would have shown them that he had mentioned to friends and family that he had hoped "to return to Baghdad when this is all over".

So if they wanted to cover their tracks and murder him they could have arranged this one last trip and then killed him in Iraq. Then they could have blamed the Iraqi government stating that they must have killed him to cover up the fact that he had discovered their wmd.

This would of course have given the government more justification for their invasion. There is a saying 'the eyes are a window to the soul'. If you look closely at Dr kelly during the intense questioning you get an idea of his state of mind-he had a detached look almost glassy eyed and distant. He had closed himself off to survive the emotional onslaught brough down upon him by his own government.

This is verified by his widow saying that "he had withdrawn into himself in the days before his death". He was a proud gentle man of science, his government wanted war and nothing and no one was going to stand in their way.

Dr David Kelly was right all along though-Iraq had no WMD.