BBC2, Sat 14, 19:15 – Two Men Went to War

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No.9, Jul 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not wonderful but of interest. It’s a screen adaptation of Raymond Foxall’s book ‘The Amateur Commandos’ (also ‘Against All Odds’), where he tells the true story of two men from the Dental Corps who decided to mount their own attack on the Atlantic Wall. Foxall does write historical novels prompting some lovey reviewers to include this – but not so. The film has a ‘Dad’s Army’ element and is being shown after one said episode, however, as ‘Charlotte Grey’ was to Nancy Wake, you may find this film worth a look. Actual books usually set you back £15+.
    http://www.britfilms.com/britishfilms/catalogue/browse/?id=D5FD9B420eeaf2E8FCmNhXCEF048

No.9

2. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

Bugger, always wanted to see that and missed it due to alcohol.

3. What sir? That excuse may work in the Guards Melchy, but not the Dental Corps.

No.9

4. Watched it - unusual film, couldn't quite make its mind up to back the guys or treat them as wallies.

Reading the NZ link explains why a bloke from WW1 could rejoin WW2 (not so unusual) yet still be serving in Korea.

The credits could have cleared this up, but just gave what happened afterwards.

Said credits also explained that the gormless youngster (as depicted) transferred to the DLI and later ended up as Deputy Lord Mayor of Newcastle.

5. According to the link above http://www.army.mil.nz/at-a-glance/news/army-news/374/pkanddr.htm

"The story of his personal commando raid is told in the 2002 movie Two Men went to War, although it includes some inaccuracies. The movie depicts SGT King as too old to get into combat when in fact he was only 26 when he mounted his personal invasion of occupied Europe."

Probabally explains it - why let the facts get in the way of a good story!

6. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Mrs B_S and I hardly ever watch films on TV, but saw this one.

As I'd missed the opening credits, I was unaware that it was true ... but enjoyed the film anyway. The ending credits explained more, and I Googled Peter King DSO MC the next morning.

Just what Churchill would have approved of ... faintly barking mad, but utterly "Up the Enemy". I salute them both.

7. If those Producers had made 'Charlotte Grey', it probably would have turned out as Nacy Wake meets 'Allo 'Allo.

Favourite quote; "Nein, I said Flick, ze Gestapo!" 8O

No.9