• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

BBC2 SAS Rogue Warriors

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Watched both episodes and enjoyed them, even if I am usually in the same camp as @ordinaryforces .

McIntyre is a good historian and I have enjoyed reading several of his books.

He does seem to have a bit of a sad-on for Paddy Mayne. Next weeks episode should be good as Mayne has now taken over command of the SAS following Stirling's capture.

Be very careful about mocking the Special Pen Service.

They have "special access" on JPA and know where you live.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I enjoyed it
I suppose that to make a good program you need to please all sorts, ergo the desert wandering with Jamal driving the knackered truck
it would be nice to see all of the filmed interviews with the old and bold though

Great seeing the interviews with the originals.
Paddy Mayne wasn't the sort of bloke you would want to annoy by the sound of him, did like the pic of him in the Jeep with a Jack Russell curled up on the back of his neck.

Great seeing the interviews with the originals.
Paddy Mayne wasn't the sort of bloke you would want to annoy by the sound of him, did like the pic of him in the Jeep with a Jack Russell curled up on the back of his neck.
From memory is ferocious temper lead to his death, AIUI.

Night of heavy drinking, vehicle offroad into a ditch and he was pinned upside down, underwater. People assumed a) he'd be alright and b) if they went to help they'd get bashed. Might be complete tosh.

I used to work with his nephew and namesake.

I thought the second episode was a bit over cooking it?

Like I've previously stated I am no fan of the reporter, But his over acting does lessen the storey.

My grandad was amongst the film shown, he died in 83 I asked him how many Germans did you kill grandad, many times. I wish I hadn't.

Last edited:
I thought the second episode was a bit over cooking it?

Like I've previously stated I am no fan of the reporter, But his over acting does lessen the storey.

My grandad was amongst the film shown, he died in 83 I asked him how many Germans did you kill grandad, many times. I wish I hadn't.
He'd be proud you have chosen " Himmler" as your username, and a WWII fallschirmjäger as your picture.

Which side was gramps on again ?

He'd be proud you have chosen " Himmler" as your username, and a WWII fallschirmjäger as your picture.

Which side was gramps on again ?
Funnily enough he was in the RAF, got seconded to the RAAF, then was discharged, de mobbed.

He wasn't a fighter pilots or anything daring. He was a "dispatch" rider. Prior to the war he was a professional footballer and liked to climb the builders around marsden.

He did enjoy cliff climbing and was married. The funny thing is that his dad was German.

My great uncles on my mothers side jumped at Arnhem, one survived I've his battle dress from when he left the Army, he was in the REME.

No.4 Mk.1

On ROPS
On ROPs
From memory is ferocious temper lead to his death, AIUI.

Night of heavy drinking, vehicle offroad into a ditch and he was pinned upside down, underwater. People assumed a) he'd be alright and b) if they went to help they'd get bashed. Might be complete tosh.

I used to work with his nephew and namesake.
I remember reading he'd simply driven into the back of a parked lorry on his way home pissed, but i don't recall the source and i'd go with your version if it came from his nephew.

I read that he'd given Bill Fraser (an original, OC A Squadron & Op Houndsworth in '44) a hard time when in the desert, nicknaming him "Skin" i think, saying he looked scared and timid. Bill earn't an MC with bar and the Croix de Guerre with palm during the War.

On another occasion at the bar i read Paddy had pinned a man down and shaved off half his beard in a case of bullying.

Here's a roll call of those originals:
Nominal L det role 1-09-1941.jpg

Latest Threads