BBC2 Newsnight tonight - Vaughan Smith from Sangin

bump

Excellent report

Toms on the ground not overly complimentary about the Apache at one point (pity)
But sort of knocks the old sweat argument about standards and today’s ‘YOUF’
Well done to all involved and the ‘Friendly’ journalist

"Better put my hat on so the missus doesn't give me grief"

Excellent

CAARPS said:
Toms on the ground not overly complimentary about the Apache at one point (pity)
Typical bloody infantry, do they not realise how hard it is to pour a G&T AND fire at the same time? :)

I think you'll find that the AAC do tend to be quite careful about who they launch certain death at prior to pulling the trigger. Used to hear the same thing in NI (once they started to trust us with guns that was) and again in the Gulf (not only aimed at us but at the crabs as well). People look small and the same from the air, very difficult to tell the difference between friendlies, nasties and civvies. An understandable comment from the Infantry though, I'm sure that it does seem to be forever when you can see the AC above flying in circles.

Safety catch,safety,safty catch,SAFETY CATCH!!Just dont shoot me ok??

Poor bloke,then again hats off to the afghans,they were chomping at the bit to give the terries a hiding.

Agreed.

BTW, Vaughan Smith is not "just" ex-Inf he is ex Grenadier Guards. I have met him. That's right, he filmed me and our "snatch" in Kosovo. ;)

Welcome home those who have arrived today. You have done a superb job. Safe journey, everyone still on their way westwards or eastwards.

Excellent report by Vaughan. Another dit from him HERE (BBC News website).

Aunty Stella said:
CAARPS said:
Typical bloody infantry, do they not realise how hard it is to pour a G&T AND fire at the same time? :)

I think you'll find that the AAC do tend to be quite careful about who they launch certain death at prior to pulling the trigger. Used to hear the same thing in NI (once they started to trust us with guns that was) and again in the Gulf (not only aimed at us but at the crabs as well). People look small and the same from the air, very difficult to tell the difference between friendlies, nasties and civvies. An understandable comment from the Infantry though, I'm sure that it does seem to be forever when you can see the AC above flying in circles.
Yep

Certainly no criticism, how many rabid journos would get mileage over the accidental killing of a couple of families inside the compound

I can also understand the frustration of the Toms on the ground, having served in 16X, indeed later it showed the troops taking cover because the AH was about to engage.

It just sort of jumped out of the page, so to speak

verticalgyro said:
Very interesting, and a very good eye-opener for the UK public.

Anywhere I can download this to show to the lads?
It's out there somewhere... caught the body of it a wee while ago. Linkage vaughan? Excellent footage you could almost smell it. It struck me again as it did the first time how the ANA just stroll around like lemmings when they're out and about on op's. That's fcukin knackering AND frustrating when you have to watch the goons arses continually, the drills sink in toooo slowly!