BBC2 Newsnight 22:30 26 Feb 13; IRAQ - Ten Years On

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Goatman, Feb 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

I thought about posting this in 'Military History' but....

For anyone who served on TELIC - may be of interest. For Peter Hire, Simon Flores,Mark Sutcliffe and the others...

BBC 2 Newsnight (22:30): Special marking the 10th anniversary of the start of the Iraq War. The show will be a large studio debate with a panel and audience of 200 including Col Tim Collins, MP Rory Stewart and Corporal Simon Brown who was injured and blinded in Iraq in 2006.

For those who thought Rory S. was all over Afghan - he also served as a POLAD/ Regional Governator
    (basically what French underworld call a 'Caid' ) in Iraq during the Paul Bremer CPA period.

Which pissed him off so mightily, he entered politics....as did Tim Collins, after a fashion.

I'll try and stay awake.

Don Cabra
    (Op Telic 1 - Umm Qasr - but didn't get to snuggle up to Nell McAndrew...fool )

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Well, I saw John Simpson do his magisterial bit....what did wee Rory have to say for himself?

3. On a similar note to this, anyone watching the BBC prog on at this time about the father of a deceased soldier who has gone to Basra? Quite interesting. If you've missed it it could be worth iPlayering.

4. Seen. Quite sad. Bliar et al should be tied down and made to watch the human cost to the British families but also the Iraqis lack of facilities & progress.

Sad for this father as I don't think he got the answer he wanted & seemed shocked that it does seem to have been in vain.

How do you reconcile the loss against the consideration of the other thread re the biggest intelligence failing? ie lies & deceit.

5. He heard from all sides and seemed genuinely shocked by some of what he heard, but I suspect some were telling him what he wanted to hear. I shouldn't find it funny but the guy at the end who ran a cafe close to BAS said that we "turned up, destroyed the place then left it all in chaos", I did chuckle. But on a serious note he was right.
    It was good to see that the IPS seemed to be a lot more professional and that the guy was able to walk around quite freely. The hotel he stayed in looked OK but overall the place does not seem to have changed significantly.

And as for St Tony, I doubt he has ever lost a second of sleep over the suffering.

6. Does Rory Stewart have a military background? On his webpage it says "briefly in the army" but his wikipedia page only mentions the diplomatic service.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)