BBC2 Documentary - Request To Ex Servicemen

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Captainmoussa, Dec 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blakeway Productions has been commissioned by the BBC to make a documentary examining the mindset of the British servicemen during enemy contact. In particular the programme, will take a close look at the issues and psychology central to the taking of enemy lives. It will be shown on BBC2 in the spring as part of a broader season of films looking at issues arising out of violent situations.

British servicemen’s personal experiences and stories will be the backbone of the film. We are hoping to include a broad range of voices from a cross-section of the British armed forces, who together can draw on experiences from a variety of conflicts.

I am currently talking to ex-servicemen about the before, during and after of this kind of combat. Things like training and preparation, motivation, live-action, comradeship, fear, and exhilaration. Likewise the longer term impact and effects.

If you are an ex-servicemen interested in sharing your experiences of this kind of combat, please contact me soonest on

Clearly, this is a difficult subject to talk about, particularly to civilians. However, Blakeway Productions enjoys one of the best reputations in the UK for making serious factual programmes. We are renowned for our integrity as producers and have won numerous awards for our films. Past credits include the “War of The World” for Channel 4, presented by Niall Ferguson, amongst many others. Denys Blakeway, the programme’s Executive Producer, has made numerous documentaries on the theme of soldiers in battle including “The Falklands War” (C4 1992), “Aftermath” (C4 1998), about PTSD and “Cold War Weapons” (C4 2004). For more information about the company please look at our website –

We are currently in dialogue with the MoD about interviewing serving members of the armed forces. Please do NOT contact me if you are a serving member.

Adam Jessel

Blakeway Productions
  2. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with opening up to the whole country, in this site we have the advantage of being anonymoous with only close friends knowing our true ID's
  3. I'd assume anything people say would be fairly anonymous? As trooper said it would be hard for most people to "open up" to the whole world as such.
    However, on this site the majority of people are currently serving or are ex-serviceman so i'm sure that you will find at least some info out of some people here.

Just a question; why should serving members not contact you? Legal issues i'd presume?

Edit: Forgot to add; goodluck with the documentary. Make sure you come back here in a few months telling us when it will be shown, will be interesting to watch this series and this programme in particular I believe :)
  4. Yes, I appreciate that. For many this is is just not something they would want to do. That's to be respected of course.

I was initially reluctant to post like this. But as research has gone on, several military people I've been talking to have said it would be worthwhile.
  5. I think you've made a good decision really. I'm sure that at least a few of the 40,000 people on this forum would be reasonably happy to give you some info :)
    Haven't got anything to say myself; being a civvie :roll:

But yes, as I said before, goodluck with the program! :D
  6. I did a piece for the local paper back in the summer and ,on the whole got a pos response. but a couple of civvys had a right pop at me , makeing out I was a BSing Walt. Sheakspear had it right men dont likei it.
    " And hold their manhoods cheap,Whiles any speaks.
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin' day"
  7. Officiallly the media cannot talk to serving members until the MoD give permission....which I'm hopeful will be forthcoming in this instance.

The idea is for servicemen to talk openly and honestly about their experiences in the film. As I say, I appreciate many will just not be interested.
  8. I would ask, have you approached the MOD's to solicite comment? Site rules apply.

I would also like to know what sort of editorial controls will be in place, to ensure the 'real' stories are told and not 'corrected' for journalistic effect.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I hoope there is a walt filter in use for the submissions!
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I apologise to Captainmoussa for removing this.

Please note that he is looking to talk to ex-servicemen. If you are serving then you could end up breaking DIN003-06 by getting involved.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Still even as an ex I cannot find it in myself to talk to journos. Too much back catalogue, talking to an ex squaddie who is writing a book in our words such as Ken Wharton well he has proved his worth!