BBC1 Debate: Armed Forces Day - Honour in the Military?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by SBrodbin, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All

I work for The Big Questions, a topical ethical debate show hosted by Nicky Clarke on BBC1 on a Sunday. The show is airing live from York on June 28th, and because it is the first Armed Forces Day on the 27th we are hoping to debate the issue: "Is the Military still an honourable profession?". I would welcome input and personal stories from both current and ex servicepeople with strong views on this (from whichever angle). Please be reassured this is not aimed at individual service men or women, rather we want to look at the role of the military as an institution in today's world.

It would also be really helpful if you were in or around the York area (or willing to travel on your own).

I hope very much to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

Sarah Brodbin

2. Nicky Clarke the hairdresser? I take it John Humphrys was busy.

3. A journo asking if the military is a honourable profession???? Oh the irony

4. Even the question itself is a load of boll-ocks...

Serving your country, how more fookin honourable do you think it gets?

Oh hang on, journo, sorry ignore my last.

5. Oh Dear! Who's presenting?
    Not a good start. :roll:

I can see the similarities though! :D

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. To be fair, Nicky Clarke is very much pro-forces.......

7. . . . . . and Hair serum

8. The question of whether or not the military is still an honourable profession is not determined by a subjective assessment of those who serve within its ranks. It is an objective evaluation arrived at by the community within which it lives and recruits at home and which it intervenes to protect abroad.

It is for that reason that the answer will be given by those who turn out to line the streets when the coffins are driven past, and when the soldiers march through their home towns on their return from operations. It is answered by the inhabitants of the shanty towns of Sierra Leone, the farmers of Kosova and the shopkeepers of Basra.

It is those people who belong in your studio and who will give you the answer you seek.

9. Chaps,
    By all means wade in with all the anti-journo venom you can muster (and christ knows, I'm no fan of the media machine) but do take a look at the Mentorn website first.
    The Big Questions might not represent the most profoundly intellectual output of the Mentorn stable, but they do have reasonable 'form' and a stack of awards to their producers' names...and neither Piers Morgan nor Newton-Dung are associated with them so they can't be all that bad!
    On the other hand, if you think this smells like a left-wing, Guardianista stitch-up complete with a loaded audience, then "targets to your front, go on".

10. you don't understand, she said she worked for the BBC. My only surprise is that it is being held in York and not Luton

11. "Honour in the Militairy" .. course there is.

Met her a couple of times, shes a Waaf. Nice girl, very flexible too.

12. Please see comment above

13. " People sleep peacably in their beds at night, only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

George Orwell

Nuff said

14. Chances of fair balanced debate about armed forces on the Beeb- between slim & fcuk all! And 'Here for our fair balanced debate on the British armed forces, we have George Galloway, Abu Hamza and Polly Toynbee as panel members'

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"

...is the actual quote, written by Eric Arthur Blair :wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.