BBC would like to talk to ex-servicemen injured in Gulf 2

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Miriam, Nov 1, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC 2 are making a documentary about British casualties of the 2nd Gulf War and its aftermath. During the research period the team hopes to talk to as many ex-servicemen as possible who were seriously injured, psychologically or physically. The more people we speak to, the more we understand the challenges they face in coming to terms with the past and piecing together their future. Any conversation we have will be confidential and there's no commitment to filming. If you were seriously injured or know someone who was please call Assistant Producer, Miriam Jones, on 020-8752 6806 or send a personal message.
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Note: This is not an invitation to attack the media in general.
  3. Miriam,

Could you PM me with details of the production company and working title please.

4. This (and a couple of pints) has set me thinking.

The BBC in times of conflict tended to have a fair few blokes on the ground, and their awareness of things military was greater (because that's the way we were). Their archives were, if anything, flooded with material - and a lot more went unrecorded because in those days it was common knowledge, pehaps part of the national consciousness.

Recently the Beeb has been seeking reminiscences from the old & bold from d-/ve-/vj-day and any other wartime recollections to enable things to be fleshed out for today's audience. How well they collate/understand/present this is debateable ... but it's been happening.

Now we have the BBC outsourcing programs to independent companies, asking for info on an ad-hoc basis, and looking for 'headline' output. Is this the best thing all round, or could it be done differently.

If Aunty is still aiming to inform, educate and entertain should it not be collecting more source material at the time?. Why don't they do interviews in-theatre, endex, demob, and get the individuals to reflect at a later date - even with them reviewing their earlier recordings. Broadcast of any of these interviews would have to be with the agreement of the individual - you can't have someone up for promotion having his thoughts on life and his seniors ('bunch of cnuts") broadcast the night before a panel sits.

As I write it seems that I'm almost reinventing the 7-up series, but that is no bad thing. The military is something apart from civilian life, the Meeja recognise this by having defence editors etc to manage the news but from the number of approaches in recent months it seems there is insufficient 'rolling' material from which they can draw when a particular topic is to be covered.

So, what are the BBC doing to capture the big/ongoing picture, is this program really 'BBC' or a small company with a slot promised, and is there an archive worthy of the name?. Imagine if they'd interviewed and followed by chance a young commonwealt recruit who did rather well.
  5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

The BBC would be well founded in doing a broader programme about the appalling lack of support for ALL ex service people such as the fact that people who went to Iraq over 2 years ago still have not got their medal whilst ministers lie to the house about there being no effective backlog at the medal office.

The total lack of support for TA families after their spouses deploy to Iraq.

Injured reserve and TA members who are discharged and dumped on NHS waiting lists with no support from the MOD.

Etc. etc etc.
  6. Have now spoken with Miriam , this is a serious BBC internal production. If you are injured ex-Forces , please consider giving her your help on this extremely important and sensitive topic.

7. Whiffler, you've made me do the virtually impossible and defend journalists, but my understanding is that embedded journalists are often more or less hog-tied by MOD information commissars. This makes your (excellent) suggestion problematic for them.

I'm not talking out of my arse for a change, I know one officer who dealt with the Media on TELIC 1 and a couple of BBC tekkie-types who mentioned this. To be fair, it's a cyclical problem. MOD feel that the Media aren't giving them a fair deal and tighten up access. Media feel that MOD are being control freaks and start working around the system. And so on.

However, which system creates the canniest, most switched-on operators: the bureaucratic, civil service GIS or the free-market, dog-eat-dog world of the mainstream media? That was rhetoric, by the way.

8. What are you doing drinking on a Monday afternoon?!?
  9. You should also consider getting in touch with Combat Stress the Ex Services Mental Welfare Society.

PM me if you want a contact there