BBC World Service News theme song.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Devil_Dog, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Back in the day when I used to listen to the BBC world service, they used to play a certain tune before reading the news.It was an orchestral piece that I found to be very rich and pleasant to listen to.I don't for the life of me know where to find it.Does anyone have a clue about what I'm talking about?

All help greatly appreciated.Cheers!
  2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Put this into Google:

"bbc world service" +"signature tune"

Lillibulero (sp)
  3. And they still use it, but only a few times a day, and it's a more namby-pamby version than it used to be.

Also Imperial Echoes prior to Radio Newsreel, and Girls in Grey (also QARANC march?) for the sports report.
  4. 'twas "Lillibulero", the Quick March of the REME - but it goes back a wee bit further than them!

One of John Marlborough's marching tunes.

5. "Lillibulero" and "Imperial Echoes" were the two great theme tunes of the world service - very evocative to those of us who heard them on scratchy radios in tropical corners of the old Empire!

I think they've both fallen foul of the BBC "Hate everything British" campaign, along with the patriotic medley that used to kick off the World service/Radio 4 changeover every morning (incidentally, the only loud music my block was allowed by the CSgt, at 0600 as we ironed bed blocks ready for show parade....!).
  6. Sure it wasnt "Sailing By" which is played prior to the shipping forecast?
  7. I doubt very much if the BBC 'hate everything British' as you say. Just because they have binned a couple of embarrassing jingoistic tunes that date back to the dark days of our not so glorious imperial past doesn't mean they hate everything British. It means they are prepared to move with the times and embrace the fact that this country no longer has an empire. Thankfully