BBC - Why Ships Crash

Yokel

LE
BBC: Why Ships Crash

On 23 March 2021, the Ever Given – one of the largest container ships ever built – ploughed into the sandy bank of the Suez Canal, blocking the entire waterway. It stopped all traffic in one of the most important shipping lanes in the world for almost a week, causing a ‘ship jam’ of over 300 vessels and delaying deliveries of billions of pounds of vital food, fuel and medical supplies. The disruption to the global supply chain lasted for months.

How did such an advanced ship crash in one of the most closely monitored shipping lanes in the world? How did a team of engineers free the ship in just six days? And who or what is to blame?

Using never-before seen footage, testimony from witnesses speaking for the very first time, and expert analysis, this documentary aims to uncover the inside story of the Ever Given accident. And with over 2,500 shipping incidents a year, the film also asks if this was just a freak accident or whether it reveals a serious weakness in the world’s critical supply chain.

I thought it was interesting, though a bit repetitive.
It was nice to watch a calmly-paced , factual programme (as opposed to teh one on ?yesterday about the Bermuda Triangle - also had some factual stuff I didn't know, but bordering on shouty at times)

chimera

LE
BBC: Why Ships Crash

On 23 March 2021, the Ever Given – one of the largest container ships ever built – ploughed into the sandy bank of the Suez Canal, blocking the entire waterway. It stopped all traffic in one of the most important shipping lanes in the world for almost a week, causing a ‘ship jam’ of over 300 vessels and delaying deliveries of billions of pounds of vital food, fuel and medical supplies. The disruption to the global supply chain lasted for months.

How did such an advanced ship crash in one of the most closely monitored shipping lanes in the world? How did a team of engineers free the ship in just six days? And who or what is to blame?

Using never-before seen footage, testimony from witnesses speaking for the very first time, and expert analysis, this documentary aims to uncover the inside story of the Ever Given accident. And with over 2,500 shipping incidents a year, the film also asks if this was just a freak accident or whether it reveals a serious weakness in the world’s critical supply chain.
It is a very big ship with a lot of inertia, and there was a very strong cross wind.

There you go. No need to watch the programme now.

It's a slippery slope. They'll be letting them vote next!!!
it is a bit like blaming Hitler when Bismarck was the root cause of all the teutonic villiany , feminism has always sucked never mind 4th wave.

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
it is a bit like blaming Hitler when Bismarck was the root cause of the teutonic villiany , feminism has always sucked never mind 4th wave.

I'm sure I can make a joke about feminism and the lack of sucking.

but I won't as that would be too rude for this part of the site

I'm sure I can make a joke about feminism and the lack of sucking.

but I won't as that would be too rude for this part of the site.
I wouldn't be too keen on a feminist blowjob either mate, i am no dentist but I understand teeth.

I blame that Pankhurst slapper, somebody should have slapped the insolence out of that harpy.

Mind you, the feminist master plan of getting women out of the kitchen would be a blessing in my case. I suspect that she may be using excessively salted broccoli as a route to my life insurance.

Last edited:
it was because of Boris, Brexit and Trump obviously
I have always found Trump to have some solid opinions, he reckoned that arming the Taliban to the teeth confirmed his previously stated opinion that Gen Milley was a ******* idiot. Hard to argue with really.

Aaar, now there ya go, despoiling all my previously held knowledge …

I watched the programme and have to say I thought it was crap. Their "experts" were the second mate and second assistant engineer off the ship following, a young Italian who's expertise was not really explained and a pilot from San Francisco. No one from the owners or insurers or those actually investigating, they would not be allowed anyway probably as the investigations are no doubt ongoing. The SCA admiral and captain repeatedly stressing not their fault all down to the master.

chimera

LE
Is it about time we blamed Margaret Thatcher?

Latest Threads