BBC to create comedy show about Afghan EOD teams

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Fat_Cav, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, firstly, I vote that Dingerr isn't the technical advisor. :wink:

Secondly, as long as it's funny who cares? I hope it captures the black sick sense of humour that we all love and cherish

Please please if someone from the Beeb is reading this, please can you hire a Beret Shaping technical advisor, it's really really important.

Edited to add: It's the wail, so naturally all the armed forces will be frothily outraged!

2. Have the ***** who write this stuff actually seen Blackadder?

My only worry is that - because it's being written for BBC3 - it'll be shit.

3. i vaguely remember a lot of frothing going on at the release of Four Lions, which all came to nought as it was a good film. I suppose it depends on whether Dingerr and the like find it offensive...the ones who've walked the walk! If it targets 'squaddie humour' and makes the bomb planters look a bit dim...it might be a goer.

4. I see what you did there!

5. Would it be called "It aint arf shit mum!" by any chance?

6. All the EOD chaps I ever met were always a bit off and rather hilarious. Black humor only matched by my dad's colleague who was a coroner.

High potential to be hilarious, high potential to be shit. And if it is well-done, expect it to be rewritten for American TV, only a shallow, crass shell of its former brilliance.

Bah, that's a depressing thought. Time for some cheer:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. looking forward to it

8. Another anti-army piece of work from the Beeb luvvies.

I suppose it makes a change from them portraying British Soldiers as bullying, demented, psycotic, deranged, unemployable idiots suffering from PTSD.

Another good reason not to buy a TV Licence - not that I have ever bought one anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Much hoo ha about nothing

ScreenShot.JPG

Hope they don't put their foot in it

10. HHH

HHH LE

IMHO it would not be funny, not due to any sensitivity of the subject, but the fact, that the BBC are never going to allow any writer to use the type of language needed to make it funny.
    In fact in todays PC world no TV company would allow the language.
    Can you imagine the outcry that would happen, if the real type of Squaddie humour and language was used. So if it is made, it will be "EOD Light" maybe along the lines of "The IT Crowd"

11. What makes you think it will be anti? If it picks up on the 'ever present squaddie humour, even in the face of death' type angle, it could end up being very pro Army.

12. I wish I had the ability to review TV shows that haven't even been made yet.

Did you mean that it will probably be another anti-army piece of work from the Beeb luvvies?

13. Bollocks, how is it anti-army? The BBC has made lots of pro-forces stuff before as well and continue to for example "Our War" currently being trailed on BBC3. I mean how dare they interview squaddies and let them put their side about Afghanistan. Gary Tank Commander was pretty pro-army as well, the only negative thing I can remember recently was Undercover Soldier, anyway why should the forces be immune from criticism? Also TV licences are actually very good value for money, the BBC is overall excellent. If you claim you never watch the BBC fair enough but I ******* doubt that's the case and if you watch any non-sky/cable tv in the UK the transmitters.etc are paid for by the licence fee. Don't let the facts get in the way of getting all outraged though.

On the subject of comedy EOD teams I could nominate a couple. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. X59

X59 LE

Anybody else recall the 'Alas Smith and Jones' EOD sketch from years back ?

Pretty funny from what I remember, but wouldn't have a clue how to link it.

15. LOL don't you just love the Daily Wail, they have taken all three of these quotes by Bolo Beret and portrayed them as if they were said by several different people whist only including one positive quote from the majority of positive or not to bothered views.