Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

BBC - Test Pilot

I remember from Test Pilot that the one aircraft they all wanted to fly was the Lightning. I knew an old RAF jockey who had a limp, a dodgy shoulder and a bad back from having had to bang out of a Lightning, a Phantom and something else, but he said that he reached his Lightning squadron at the age of just 20 and there he was - his first sortie was with a newly refitted plane and his boss told him to 'rag it up to Mach 2 and chuck it about a bit'. Not bad work you can get it!

Yes; written by Brian Johnson (not to be confused with 'Jonners' off Test Match Special), published by BBC books around the time of the series.

If you remember guys, no word-processing back in those days, just the Mk1 finger and type-writer. Oh, and Tippex. 10 days to knock up a technical manual is pretty bloody impressive. OHP's as well - I always wondered where they put the coal in those things!

I love old docu's - they make me feel like Abe Simpson.

Bob Horton ended up flying twin prop airliners after leaving the service , think he had a stint with the CAA....
The Kiwi student would be seen later on 1988 Hollyowood film The Rescue starting Kevin DIllon, flying one of the pair of A-4K Skyhawks. The film meant to be set in Rok and Norh korea but filmed in NZ using the RNZAF UH-1H Hueys, C-130H and A-4K Skyhawks P-3K Orion in the background. Hre ended up working for the NZCAA after leaving the air force

Vic Lockwood ended upas chief pilot for FR Aviation....

cheers