BBC tank webpage

I found this on the net and thought I would share it with other members of arrse, its not really beneficial to those who are already members of the RAC , but , as someone hoping to join pretty soon I found it interesting and thought others , in a similar position might aswell.

bbc page on chally 2.

Picatinny_Rail said:
I thought sleeping under tanks was considered "not best practice"? :?
My thoughts exactly, however, if it's on concrete or other 'hard standing' where's the problem.... just don't get in the habit.

Having lost a Jock who was sleeping under a Scimitar in Germany I hope someone from the unit concerned spotted that boo-boo and pulled him out.....

Usual BBC accuracy

Apparently we've only got 40. Does the BBC know something we don't?

That stupid smile on the cnut sleeping under the panzer would have lasted about 0.1 second after the Trp Cpl caught him...............hopefully.Even if the tank is on hard ground it´s still very dangerous,imagine a Tiffy or some other jumping in the drivers seat and starts testing the driving hydroulics!

And before a Tiffy starts screaming foul,one jumped in my Chiefy turret to check the power traverse as I was getting off it, and only saved myself with a desperate dive off the front decks as the turret wizzed over my head!

Oh yes, I was waiting for him when he dismounted :twisted:

TheSpecialOne said:
and a Full Screw makes everyone scoff?
I take it you´ve never served in the ´Real´army,the Full Screw would seldom be de-moted for `disciplinary action´especially when it could save lives!

A tank is an extremely dangerous piece of kit,a seconds stupidity can be your last,that´s why a boot up the arrse was accepted and recognised for what it was, life/injury saving.

STAB? :twisted:

midnight said:
TheSpecialOne said:
I take it you´ve never served in the ´Real´army,the Full Screw would seldom be de-moted for `disciplinary action´especially when it could save lives!

A tank is an extremely dangerous piece of kit,a seconds stupidity can be your last,that´s why a boot up the arrse was accepted and recognised for what it was, life/injury saving.

I think TSO was expressing his surprise at this "fact" from the BBC webpage:

The operator/loader (usually a corporal): his job includes manning the radio, loading ammunition for the main gun and the machine gun, and cooking for the crew.

Wouldn't the loader normally be a senior Tom, possibly a Lance Jack? Unlikely to be a Full Screw at any rate.

Well, you have to factor in inflation and upgrades, I guess. The new turrets alone are looking at costing about 2.5 million pound.

NTM

Why whats the new turrets all about? Im aware that they have bee trialling a new smooth bore system, is this waht you are referring to or are they doing more to the turret?

The "new" turret is mainly to do with the smooth bore. It will need a lot of redesigning in order to fit the one piece ammo in etc. Might even get a bit of a work done to it to make the BOWMAN kit fit a bit more ergonomically.

A full screw would only really be an operator in the 11B or 0B's tank. I know of tanks in my Sqn that have Tprs as operators.

I've heard of prices ranging from 3.5 million up to 6 but nothing as low as 2.5 million.

brewmeister said:
midnight said:
TheSpecialOne said:

I think TSO was expressing his surprise at this "fact" from the BBC webpage:

The operator/loader (usually a corporal): his job includes manning the radio, loading ammunition for the main gun and the machine gun, and cooking for the crew.

Wouldn't the loader normally be a senior Tom, possibly a Lance Jack? Unlikely to be a Full Screw at any rate.
Aaaaah............I thought ´scoff´was a new slang word for putting respect into stupid troopers(like I was!) :oops:

Very ´umble Apologies to The Special One :oops:

The Corporal might show you how to dig up a decent meal,but that was about it!

I once went on exercise with a Full Screw commander......................terrible,but to be fair it wasn´t easy for him as it was his first Ex and didn´t want to fcuk up,his determination to be head-up in rainstorms got him a nice dose of Pnuemonia..........end-EX!

midnight said:
...his determination to be head-up in rainstorms got him a nice dose of Pnuemonia..........end-EX!
The pleasures of being a Tank Commander, you only get to close down for bridge crossings and the final assault.

End up looking like those two off of Dumb and Dumber after a long road move!

I can get 50 miles to the gallon on this hog!!

Aww a cold on commanders pay! My heart bleeds…

(this from a guy who spent the later part of his “career” on a stretcher counting plasters in 14B)

:)